2010-2011 NCAA Basketball Season!

Started by Tracy_3000, Nov 08, 2010, 05:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

QuoteThe guy is good, damn good.  I watched the Duke/MSU game and I saw the truth.  That said, if I have to listen to Dickie V go on and on about[highlight] Kyrie Irving[/highlight] as well as the fuckin' Plumlees, Nolan Smith and Kyle Singler all year...Just you watch it ESPN (waves Mutombo finger).

I didnt see the MSU game, but I saw the Kansas St game and the 2nd half of the Butler game, and they look basically unstoppable. I think I already hate this team more than last years team thanks to seeing the Plumlees, that other tall white dude, and Steph Curry's brother (why transfer to DUKE?!!).

Theyll probably lose 1 or 2 games, but I think theyll be massive favorites come tourney time. If someone beats them, Im sure theyll have great guard play and someone who can play both sides inside.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

BH, you were all nice and didn't rub it in after our debacle during the Braggin' Rights game.  We had it and then choked. :embarassed:

Time for the Illini to shock the world and bring OSU back down to earth, if for a little while.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

BH

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 22, 2011, 11:57 AM
BH, you were all nice and didn't rub it in after our debacle during the Braggin' Rights game.  We had it and then choked. :embarassed:

Time for the Illini to shock the world and bring OSU back down to earth, if for a little while.

I was watching and rooting for you today.  I thought they had it there for awhile. :(
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Jan 22, 2011, 05:06 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 22, 2011, 11:57 AM

I was watching and rooting for you today.  I thought they had it there for awhile. :(

That game was crap, total crap!  Penny just smugly sits there because meh, college basketball really isn't her cup o' tea while the Buckeye's get Oden, Evan Turner, and Jared Sullinger in three consecutive years.  They will get caught...they will get caught.

Tracy 2112

Be the cliché you want to see in the world.

Jaimoe

My Orangemen lost at the Dome to Nova on Saturday, but they are playing some great ball this year. However, I know that somehow the Orange will find a way to lose early in the upcoming tournaments. Gotta love Texas, especially with their two young Toronto kids, Tristan Thompson and Cory Joseph.

Tracy 2112

tonight I am going to see if all the hype is legit!

#4 San Diego State (20-0) at #9 Brigham Young (19-1) 10 PM EST
PROVO, Utah (AP)—BYU's Jimmer Fredette is the small-town East Coast guard groomed by an older brother with help from inmates allowed to compete on prison recreational teams.

San Diego State's D.J. Gay is the ultimate California kid, raised just outside Los Angeles and taught the game by a father who started taking him to his own city rec games when he was 3.

Though their paths wouldn't cross until college, the ninth meeting between two of the nation's best point guards will be key in the biggest regular-season game of their careers.

"It's going to be crazy," Fredette said of Wednesday night's showdown between fourth-ranked San Diego State and ninth-ranked BYU. "If we play well, our crowd will be into it. We need our crowd to rattle them a little bit. But it's going to be a great one."

San Diego State is 20-0. BYU is 19-1. Both are 5-0 in the Mountain West Conference. Bragging rights in the Mountain West are at stake along with perhaps seeds in the NCAA tournament.

As different as Fredette and Gay are, both point guards make their teams go.

"I think it will be a back-and-forth game between the two," said BYU forward Noah Hartsock, who will have his hands full with an SDSU front court that includes Player of the Year candidate Kawhi Leonard, 6-9 Malcolm Thomas and 6-8 Billy White.

"With San Diego State having a great front line, the (media) might overlook D.J., but he's a tremendous player. He's really one of the great team leaders and great energizers."

There's little question this will be a raucous one. The game has been sold out for more than a week, and more than 20 NBA scouts have descended on Provo.

Fredette expects the atmosphere to rival the Jan. 3, 2009, game between the Cougars and Wake Forest. BYU owned the nation's longest home-court winning streak at 53 games, but a few key plays were the difference as Wake Forest rallied for a 94-87 victory.

This will be the first-ever meeting in Provo between a Top 10 BYU team and Top 10 opponent.

While Fredette will do everything he can to keep the pace high, Gay will try to keep it under control.

That's just another difference between the two.

Fredette of Glens Falls, N.Y.—nicknamed Hometown USA—earned preseason All-America honors and made the Midseason Top 30 list for the Wooden Award.

San Diego State coach Steve Fisher admits Gay isn't even the best player on his own team—just the most important one. It's why Fisher named him captain without taking a team vote.

"(Gay) has been the lynchpin," Fisher said of the smallest player (6-0, 170 pounds) on the Aztecs roster. "He's been our point person. ... He keeps a level of composure that permeates throughout our locker room."

Since his days at Poly High in Sun Valley, Calif., Gay has shown he isn't afraid to take the big shots and knows when to elevate his game even if Fisher jokes that "his next dunk will be his first dunk."

Gay scored 30 in The Pit against New Mexico on Jan. 15, 20 against Air Force four days later and is shooting nearly 42 percent from beyond the arc.

He just hasn't quite lit up the scoreboard like the 6-2, 195-pound Fredette, who scored a school-record 49 against Arizona last season and has topped 40 points in two of the last three games.

Even Gay understands the mania Fredette is feeding with all those 3s.

"I'm gaining respect, but Jimmer's all over ESPN right now," Gay said. "You can't miss him."

"It doesn't faze me at all," added Gay, who has played in all 123 games since his arrival at San Diego State. "I congratulate him, but my focus is on doing what I have to do to get this team to win. If I have to score only two points and have eight assists, that's what I'm going to do."

Don't be surprised to see Gay play all 40 minutes even if it means another ice bath afterward to help him recover.

Last year he played all but one minute in the Mountain West Conference tournament.

Gay called that team title his proudest moment as a player.

"That was the first championship I'd ever won. That was a big deal to me," he said.

To get another means going through BYU, which has won nine straight since a Dec. 18 loss at UCLA and all eight at home this season.

"They basically ran us off the court last year," Gay said of BYU's 82-68 victory in Provo.

BYU coach Dave Rose warns this is a different San Diego State team, though the same five starters return.

"It's a group that is playing with a purpose, playing together, playing to win," Rose said. "Not that they weren't playing to win (before), but the focus is really good."

Rose admits there is pressure to win at home.

But being one of only two undefeated teams in the country brings its own weight for the Aztecs.

"I absolutely feel it," Gay said. "With each game that arrives, the pressure hits more and more. But it's a good pressure. We know all eyes are on us."

Ruckus

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 24, 2011, 11:11 AM
this guy

That guy.  Did you see the game?  I only saw the highlights but I was surely sold on him as a scorer. :o

Tracy 2112

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 27, 2011, 09:52 AM
Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Jan 24, 2011, 11:11 AM
this guy

That guy.  Did you see the game?  I only saw the highlights but I was surely sold on him as a scorer. :o

Couldn't get the game here, but I am sold

BH

Yeah, that sucked.   I was stoked to watch that game only to find out it was on "CBS Sports" channel, which apparently is not covered with $180 I send to the cable company every month.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ophidiophobia

I watched the game last night, and Fredette is an unreal scoring talent. Great shooter and his body control allows him to get his shot off against people who foul him. Not sold on him at an NBA level, but he is a great scorer similar to Adam Morrison.

capt. scotty

Quote from: BH on Jan 27, 2011, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that sucked.   I was stoked to watch that game only to find out it was on "CBS Sports" channel, which apparently is not covered with $180 I send to the cable company every month.

Yes, it was retarded how ESPN was pimping this game for the last few days, yet you couldnt even watch it (unless you have the DirecTV NCAA basketball package Im assuming)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: ophidiophobia on Jan 27, 2011, 01:10 PM
I watched the game last night, and Fredette is an unreal scoring talent. Great shooter and his body control allows him to get his shot off against people who foul him. Not sold on him at an NBA level, but he is a great scorer similar to Adam Morrison.

I dont think this guy is similar to Morrison at all outside of being white. Jimmer is a lights out shooter from seemingly anywhere inside half court (although surprisingly Gibbs for Pitt and Diebler for tOSU have better 3pt % by 5% or more). I think he's quicker, tougher, and has more ability to drive and create his own shot than people give him credit for..The best comparison to him that I see is Steph Curry...If a guy like Curry is a Top 10 NBA pick (or Gordon Hayward or 75% of the eurotrash that goes Top 10), I dont see how Jimmer isnt at least a 1st rounder.

capt. scotty

I forget how good college bball saturdays can be once football is over...Cuse @ LVille right now, Ohio St @ Wisconsin in an hour, and Pitt @ Nova 2nite  :thumbsup:

Tracy 2112

capt. scotty

Quote from: Tracy 2112 on Feb 20, 2011, 07:09 PM
this guy

To me, Purdue is going to be a very boom or bust pick for the tourney. They have a lot of stuff to like, E'Twaun being 1 thing, but I dunno. I could see a 2nd round loss as likely as the Final 4

Tracy 2112

What year is this?   :-\

BYU center Brandon Davies was suspended from the Cougars' nationally ranked team for the remainder of the season because he violated the school's honor code provision that prohibits premarital sex.
Davies, a sophomore from Provo High School, acknowledged his transgression to BYU officials on Monday, according to multiple sources.

After BYU's stunning 82-64 loss to New Mexico on Wednesday night, Cougars coach Dave Rose addressed Davies' dismissal for the first time, saying, "I think it was a surprise to everyone."

Asked whether he believes Davies will play basketball for BYU again, Rose said, "yeah, I do."

On Tuesday, the school owned and operated by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints announced Davies had been dismissed from the team but was being allowed to remain in school while his situation was under review by the Honor Code Office.

BYU spokeswoman Carri Jenkins said Davies' suspension from the team was for the remainder of the season and that his future at the school has yet to be determined.

Two of Davies' teammates, Jimmer Fredette and Charles Abouo, said Wednesday night after the loss that they stand behind their former teammate and have no resentment toward him, saying they consider him a brother.

"Everyone makes mistakes in their life," Abouo said. "We are reaching out and trying to help him get through this."

Davies was averaging 11.1 points and a team-leading 6.2 rebounds per game this season for a team that entered Wednesday's game ranked No. 3 in the nation, but will surely tumble after losing by 18 points to an unranked team.

The past 24 hours, since Davies was dismissed, "have been difficult," Fredette said. "Brandon is one of our good players, and he is like a brother to us, family. It is tough to lose a guy like that. We just have to pull together."

Fredette said Davies spoke to the team and apologized.

"He told us everything. He told us he was sorry and that he let us down. We just held our heads high and told him it was OK, that it is life, and you make mistakes, and you just got to play through it," Fredette said.

At 6-foot-9 and 235 pounds, Davies' physical presence was regarded as essential to the Cougars as they fought for a possible No. 1 seed in the upcoming NCAA Tournament, but Wednesday's loss likely takes BYU out of consideration.

According to a source close to the program, Davies was "extremely remorseful, heartbroken," but has accepted the punishment doled out by the school.

On Wednesday afternoon, the school confirmed that Davies' dismissal was not due to anything criminal in nature, but would not acknowledge the specific portion of the honor code he violated, per school policy.

Among other things, the honor code forbids students from engaging in premarital sex, and admonishes them to "live a chaste and virtuous life."

Penny Lane

but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Ruckus

Don't go to BYU and have sex dumbass! ;D ;D ;D

Seriously, I knew their conduct policy but I had no idea you couldn't consume tea.  TEA! :coffee:

Jon T.

There is an interesting article from a former BYU student, maybe ball player (can't remember) on deadspin about this.  Basically stating how Davies is being used to advace (BYU's) agenda/reputation.  It says how premarital sex is obviously forbidden by their honor code but not really dealt with this harshly.  And that the publicity BYU gets by suspending Davies (by looking like a school that is unwilling to waver from its fundamental principles) is worth a hell of a lot more to them than any final four run could be.