The TV Thread

Started by dragonboy, Sep 01, 2006, 06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CC

dragonboy

Just bought it...I was supposed to be cutting back this month  :-[
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

SMc55

If what you say is true Doc, then that's at least 10 gold runs right there!  ;D
Ha ha ha!!!

dragonboy

I was looking for Gareth (or was it Chris Finch?) giving the new guy a hard time for being on blockbusters & found this:

Tim: Team Leader don't mean anything mate.
Gareth: Excuse me, it means I'm leader of a team.
Tim: No it doesn't. It's a title someone's given you to get you to do something they don't want to do for free - it's like making the div kid at school milk monitor. No one respects it.
Gareth: I think they do.
Tim: No they don't Gareth.
Gareth: Erm yes they do, cos if people were rude to me then I used to give them their milk last... so it was warm.

TV rarely gets much better than this  ;D
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

Maggie Thatcher Milk Snatcher!!!

MMJ_fanatic

QuoteLots of talk about Family Guy...did anyone like American Dad?
I bought the first series on DVD & was really disappointed. It just wasn't funny.
I'm looking forward to Series 7 of King Of The Hill & the next Seinfeld boxset, which I read will both be out for Xmas.
Only 113 shopping days to go!  :o
American Dad is a poor substitute for for the Griffins
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

red

Anyone else remember Supermarket Sweep?  The game show in the grocery store.

FarmerYoda

random, but my dad was on name that tune in the seventies.
really great - i watched the video a while ago.
;he came out in a powedered blue suit with a bow tie and as he's introducing himself, you know, you have to tell a little bit about yourself.

so of course he goes
"Hey! I'm Jim and I enjoy such activities as woodworking and weight training!"
UHHH
My brother and I didn't let that one go!

dragonboy

Quote"Hey! I'm Jim and I enjoy such activities as woodworking and weight training!"
Classic!  ;D

Chills

Quoteand I think Paxman does a great job...."Come on!"

Yes, that is the right intonation  :)
Doc, I haven't seen Hugh Laurie as Bertie Wooster. Where's that from?

Chills

QuoteI was looking for Gareth (or was it Chris Finch?) giving the new guy a hard time for being on blockbusters & found this:

Tim: Team Leader don't mean anything mate.
Gareth: Excuse me, it means I'm leader of a team.
Tim: No it doesn't. It's a title someone's given you to get you to do something they don't want to do for free - it's like making the div kid at school milk monitor. No one respects it.
Gareth: I think they do.
Tim: No they don't Gareth.
Gareth: Erm yes they do, cos if people were rude to me then I used to give them their milk last... so it was warm.

TV rarely gets much better than this  ;D

Agreed  :D

Jaimoe

Jeeves & Wooster - a BBC series from the early 90's starring Laurie and the equally brilliant (I hate using that severely over-used British adjective but it fits here) Stephen Fry http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/

Jaimoe

He certainly does, but I can't stop thinking of him as Bertie Wooster! Did you see any of that Chills?

I wonder how Hugh Laurie's American accent sounds to real Americans. Is it convincing?

As a Canadian, I can tell you it's good, if not everyman American generic - like news anchors on major networks.

SMc55

Jeeves & Wooster - a BBC series from the early 90's starring Laurie and the equally brilliant (I hate using that severely over-used British adjective but it fits here) Stephen Fry http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098833/

They're based on the wonderful books by PG Wodehouse. Laurie players an upper class twit and Fry plays his far more intelligent butler. They were excellent in the parts.

SMc55

As a Canadian, I can tell you it's good, if not everyman American generic - like news anchors on major networks.
Thanks. It would ruin it if he didn't sound convincing. One thing I have noticed is that, when British actors appear in American shows as British people, they seem to change their accents to become 'more British sounding'. It's really strange. I saw Minnie Driver and John Cleese in Friends recently, for example, and they didn't sound anything like they normally would. Weird  :-/

Jaimoe

I saw Minnie Driver and John Cleese in Friends recently, for example, and they didn't sound anything like they normally would. Weird  :-/

Minnie Driver butchered an early 80's Southern Ontario Canadian accent in the surprisingly good if not depressing gambling film, Owning Mahoney  -  starring Phillip Seymour Hoffman and the equally great John Hurt http://www.allmovie.com/cg/avg.dll?p=avg&sql=1:278282~T1

Cleese does seem to "put on" more of an accent on US television, but he's constantly performing, so I don't really give it much mind. On the other hand, where has Mel Gibson's Aussie accent gone and Sean Connery has never sounded so Scottish in the last couple of years (much to Ewan McGreggor's distain).

Chills

I have never heard of that show before.  But Fry and Laurie are definitely a magnificent duo.

SMc55

I have never heard of that show before.  But Fry and Laurie are definitely a magnificent duo.
Worth a look if you get the chance. Gentle humour, poking fun at the British aristocracy. Very funny.

Chills

Worth a look if you get the chance. Gentle humour, poking fun at the British aristocracy. Very funny.

Checked out a couple of clips on youtube, looks funny.
It's always a joy to watch Fry, I love his linguistic eloquence.

dragonboy

I was just watching some Beavis & Butthead on youtube.
The Bee Gees Jive Talking comes on & Butthead says "Is this The Black Crowes?"  ;D