The TV Thread

Started by dragonboy, Sep 01, 2006, 06:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

parkervb

Westworld should have been marketed as the table setting piece bc it seems like it really will open up in S2
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

Quote from: beardedwonder on Apr 24, 2017, 11:38 AM
To me, The Wire is a long episode of tv crime drama X that is currently in rotation. I had expected a lot more due to al the hype because I was a late late adopter. I can see why people liked it at the time but it felt like I had already seen it all by the time I got to it.

The Americans is not captivating. It's just fun and is using a plot and time period that I don't often see.

I need to give the Leftovers another chance.

If all you saw is a crime drama then I better understand your opinion. So much humanity, social commentary, dedication to reality, insane depth of storytelling to be limped in with Blue Bloods or whatever is on CBS these days.

APR

Whenever I catch an old episode of The Wire (or The Sopranos, which is an older show), I still think it's incredible.   The characters are so special, memorable, and real.  I think people can watch The Wire in 50 years and enjoy it and get a understanding of inner city life.  Or at least inner city Baltimore in the early 2000s.  Dave Simon wrote the show using life experience spending years embedded with cops and writing for the Baltimore Sun.

I've never seen Blue Bloods or any of the CSI shows so I can't compare to that.  But compared to any other series I've seen, The Wire ranks up there with the best of the best.

All that said, expectations definitely play a roll.

LBSUNFLWR

agreed. I just watched The Wire this year and I loved it.

I got The Sopranos on DVD for Christmas, going to start it soon.

parkervb

I used Blue Bloods b/c that's the only crime show I know that is not CSI or NCIS. But you're absolutely correct on expectations playing a role. I have a friend who has never seen Breaking Bad but I built it up so much that it likely can't live up the expectations I have set for it.

I just don't know how someone can see Season 4 and its focus on those kids (& the state of public ed in general) and say it's standard crime drama fare. I still get chills thinking of Randy yelling at Carver "you going to look at me Sgt Carver, you mean it??" That and the Bubbles storylines....man. I need to watch the series for the 4th time now.

beardedwonder

To me it's NYPD Blue with more character development.

Obviously there is no right or wrong but there's def a contingency of people who believe the show is overrated.
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

johnnYYac

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 24, 2017, 03:13 PM
agreed. I just watched The Wire this year and I loved it.

I got The Sopranos on DVD for Christmas, going to start it soon.
Funny, I just finished The Wire last week and started The Sopranos.  Also catching up on the most recent seasons of Orange is the New Black and House of Cards.  The Wire was great, though the last season was a letdown.

Also, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND The Americans!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

LBSUNFLWR

^^nice! The last season of The Wire wasn't as good as some of the others. I knew the whole time it was going to end soon though so I was already sad.

I also have Breaking Bad on DVD and haven't watched any episodes yet. Either going to start that or The Sopranos...

parkervb

Quote from: beardedwonder on Apr 24, 2017, 03:45 PM

Obviously there is no right or wrong but there's def a contingency of people who believe the show is overrated.

well there's a contingency for everything on reddit. ;)

beardedwonder

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 25, 2017, 09:08 AM
Quote from: beardedwonder on Apr 24, 2017, 03:45 PM

well there's a contingency for everything on reddit. ;)

Lol. Aint that the truth. Used google to support my argument to myself tho  :grin:
"'Cause everything'd be great and everything'd be good If everybody gave like everybody could"

parkervb

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Apr 24, 2017, 06:58 PM
^^nice! The last season of The Wire wasn't as good as some of the others. I knew the whole time it was going to end soon though so I was already sad.

I also have Breaking Bad on DVD and haven't watched any episodes yet. Either going to start that or The Sopranos...

Can't go wrong either way IMO. I might go with Breaking Bad b/c it's a more "binge-able" show. I think it might have been the most complete show on TV meaning storytelling, direction, music, acting, etc.  Sopranos is right there too though.

parkervb

Crispy

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Jackets N Pones

Is anybody watching Fargo Season 3? Off to a good start!

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

sillyboob

Quote from: Jackets N Pones on May 01, 2017, 05:17 PM

No, not yet - the wife & I need to do some catchup!  But right now we're binge-watching the last season of Shameless.
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

dookie shoot bandit

Amazingggg
I don't know how they make this show better and better, and continue to make it fresh and interesting
A++

This and The Leftovers are are the best shows on TV (imo)... too bad Leftover is over after this season

APR

Quote from: dookie shoot bandit on May 03, 2017, 08:45 PM

Amazingggg
I don't know how they make this show better and better, and continue to make it fresh and interesting
A++

This and The Leftovers are are the best shows on TV (imo)... too bad Leftover is over after this season

That's two good reviews.  Good to know and thanks for the insight.  Fargo season 1 and 2 were so outstanding.  I didn't think they could make another great one, and the previews didn't look so great so I wasn't hopeful or watching (yet).  I'll have to find time soon.

Deandre

Quote from: parkervb on Apr 24, 2017, 01:47 PMThat's two good reviews.  Good to know and thanks for the insight.  Fargo season 1 and 2 were so outstanding.  I didn't think they could make another great one, and the previews didn't look so great so I wasn't hopeful or watching (yet).  I'll have to find time soon.

I hope it does in S2 but they will prob drag it out over 6 seasons.

parkervb

Quote from: Deandre on May 09, 2017, 01:47 AM
Quote from: parkervb on Apr 24, 2017, 01:47 PM
Westworld should have been marketed as the table setting piece bc it seems like it really will open up in S2

I hope it does in S2 but they will prob drag it out over 6 seasons.

aka the "Lost" treatment lol

dookie shoot bandit

1 more Day until Twin Peaks RETURNS!!!!!!!!!!!
:cheesy: