!!Product Recommendation!!

Started by capt._headdy, Jul 15, 2010, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkeye

Yeah, it's a bit pricey.  I paid $200 + a 2 year plan for my iPhone.  Sometimes I wish I had At&T so I could talk and browse at the same time.  Can't really think of any other complaints about the phone, honestly.  I use it for a LOT of different things.  I'm a pretty slow typer on the phone...it's no fault of the phone's, just user ineptitude...one nice thing about the touchscreen keypad:  if you turn it sideways, it gets bigger!  (the buttons, that is)  A nice feature for people like me.  I never take my camera anymore, unless I'm going somewhere where I think I might take a LOT of pictures or somewhere really special.  I also like the fact that there are so many accessories out there for the iPhone/iPod.  I bring it to work, where I have a docking radio, so it's always charged and I get to listen to sweet jamz all day  :thumbsup:  No problems here with the reception/voice quality either.  I'd like to play around with a Droid sometime, though, just to see what the differences really are.
We could.

iLikeBeer

My wife just got an iphone 4 when I got my droid (another reason I went the cheaper route with my droid pro  ;) )and while I haven't played with her phone nearly enough to be a true judge, just by the little I have used it, it doesn't seem all that different with the exception of the itunes compatibility and the 16 gig of memory of which I wouldn't take advantage of because I don't use itunes and I have a Zune for my music enjoyment.  I'd say the camera is better as well come to think of it, especially for indoor photos where the light isn't so good.  Although, my Droid Pro only has a 5 megapixel camera and the Droid 3 has an 8 megapixel camera I believe as does the new iphone 4s.

My wife got her iphone because the school where she teaches is all apple and they just got an ipod lab to use as teaching tools with the kids.  So she has the ability to use her phone to be compatible with the ipod lab which is pretty cool.

johnnYYac

I've done a lot of research in narrowing down to these three models.  The X2 is half the cost of the iPhone 4S or Droid 3.  It has lower res video (720p) but the largest display (4.3 in.).  Looks big!  While the iPhone 4S screen is almost a full inch smalller (3.5 in.), early reports are that it is a sharp display and makes the phone overall smaller and lighter than the Droids.  The improved camera is also testing very well.  Honestly, part of my thinking is a good camera for MMJ MSG NYC 12/14 and other future shows.  I told myself I'd never do an Apple product, but I can finally have the functions and technology of the iPod, iTouch, and a good camera in one phone, so I think that's my decision. 

Thanks for the input!!!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 01, 2011, 11:27 AM
I've done a lot of research in narrowing down to these three models.  The X2 is half the cost of the iPhone 4S or Droid 3.  It has lower res video (720p) but the largest display (4.3 in.).  Looks big!  While the iPhone 4S screen is almost a full inch smalller (3.5 in.), early reports are that it is a sharp display and makes the phone overall smaller and lighter than the Droids.  The improved camera is also testing very well.  Honestly, part of my thinking is a good camera for MMJ MSG NYC 12/14 and other future shows.  I told myself I'd never do an Apple product, but I can finally have the functions and technology of the iPod, iTouch, and a good camera in one phone, so I think that's my decision. 

Thanks for the input!!!

I honestly don't think you'll regret it, Yac.  I never wanted an Apple product either, but I had 3 friends who had the iPhone, they're all smart people who investigate products before they buy them, and they all loved the phone, and now I do too!   :thumbsup:
We could.

Jon T.

Quote from: Hawkeye on Nov 01, 2011, 12:44 PM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 01, 2011, 11:27 AM

Thanks for the input!!!

I honestly don't think you'll regret it, Yac.  I never wanted an Apple product either, but I had 3 friends who had the iPhone, they're all smart people who investigate products before they buy them, and they all loved the phone, and now I do too!   :thumbsup:

The iPhone will make you a better man AND a better lover.   :thumbsup:

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

johnnYYac

Have you lost respect for me, Maggie?  I'm a happily married man, but I'd hate to lose you over my phone.   :'(

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

johnnYYac

Despite the damage it might cause to my relationship to ALady, I bought the iPhone 4S today.  Thanks for the advice.  Now if I can just put it down...

Jane

I got the iPhone 4s when it came out a couple weeks ago. i converted from the droid X. In comparison, i love the free apps the droid app store provides. it seems like everything in the apple store cost something. i dont mind because i don't use too many apps. I love/hate the itunes. it' gets me in trouble because Id rather be using my ipod classic and not my phone but it's just too easy to download an album on your phone! I love iCloud. I've been able to download music I purchased YEARS ago that i've lost on old hard drives of my computers. Siri is fun to talk to. I've used her a couple times. she does well. I also tell her goodnight.

as far as the camera it's amazing with good lighting, like most cameras. it's not the best in low light. no complaints about that, it's still an amazing phone!

Hawkeye

Considering a new (used) car.  Need it to be in the $4000-8000 range.  Would like something AWD or 4x4, something I can haul a fair amount in, something with a really nice interior.  Good gas mileage is a plus.  High reliability is desired.

Currently considering
1)  2001 Audi Allroad - $4950, 160k (miles) - so far, the most tricked out and exciting to me.  Decent cargo room, twin turbo, lots of features, very nice interior.  High miles though.  I did find another one 300 miles away with only 130k for $5200.
2) 2003 Acura MDX - $7500, 160k - roomier interior, nice interior, but not as nice as the Audi, 3rd row seating, supposedly very reliable
3)  2004 Cadillac SRX - $6800, 140k (transfer case is not working) - love the sunroof in this thing...it's huge at over 5 feet long.  Have heard some reliability issues, especially with the AWD.  Decent interior too.

Any thoughts or other suggestions? 
We could.

peafunk31

None of the above. It's Snoop Deville or nothing!

Homer no function beer well without.

YouAre_GivenToFly

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Hawkeye

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 29, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'd steer clear of that Audi... and I'm generally a fan of VW/Audi.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/common-problems-112190/

That sucks, I was pretty high on that car  :'(
I think it's between the Audi and the MDX.  The MDX is the safer choice, reliability-wise, just not as "fun."  The Cadillac and the Audi are so much bolder, looks-wise.  The Audi is $2500 cheaper, and if anything goes wrong I'd probably just sell it as-is and cut my losses.  Whew! on the price of fixing those turbos!  If I could find an Allroad with the 4.2 V8, I may take that.  Haven't found one yet though.  Tough decisions.

My buddy has a 2011 VW Tiguan.  Wish I could afford that!  Pretty nice.  Huge moonroof, AWD, nice leather, touchscreen, etc.
We could.

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Hawkeye on Nov 29, 2011, 02:15 PM

I think it's between the Audi and the MDX.  The MDX is the safer choice, reliability-wise, just not as "fun."  The Cadillac and the Audi are so much bolder, looks-wise.  The Audi is $2500 cheaper, and if anything goes wrong I'd probably just sell it as-is and cut my losses.  Whew! on the price of fixing those turbos!  If I could find an Allroad with the 4.2 V8, I may take that.  Haven't found one yet though.  Tough decisions.

My buddy has a 2011 VW Tiguan.  Wish I could afford that!  Pretty nice.  Huge moonroof, AWD, nice leather, touchscreen, etc.

That air suspension on the Audi seems like more trouble than it is worth.

Since about 2005-2006 VW & Audi seemed to have stepped up their game in regards to reliability and quality. I like the new Tiguan, too.

Full disclosure: I own a 2010 Golf.

Hawkeye

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 29, 2011, 02:29 PM

Since about 2005-2006 VW & Audi seemed to have stepped up their game in regards to reliability and quality. I like the new Tiguan, too.

Yeah the turbos and the air suspension worry me a bit.  If they go out, it's pretty much game over for me.  I would probably be more worried, but I have a 1998 Lincoln Continental with air suspension, and I've had no problems with it...totally different car, I know.  I'm just struggling with research vs. luck.  You can research all you want, by a boring yet reliable car, and have something go bad anyway.  I guess it's all about weighing the odds and prioritizing.  I like all the gadgets and features, until they go wrong!  I've had good luck with this Lincoln though.  200k+ miles on it now.  It's showing its age, but overall, it's been good.  One tranny replacement back in 2005 or so (I bought it in 2004).  Other than that, just the usual stuff...been going through some rotors lately though.  One reason I'm getting rid of the car.

I'm going to test drive the Audi and the MDX for sure, maybe the Cadillac...get a feel for them.
We could.

tdb810

Quote from: ALady on Nov 01, 2011, 02:30 PM
I only date Droid owners.
bob has a droid....should I keep an eye on you lady ?   :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
.....Back at the Model Home

iLikeBeer

I know all too well about the problems with air suspensions.  I own a '95 Range Rover Classic, and while I absolutely love the look of it, it is a pain to take care of and keep full of gas.  I had to have the coil spring conversion done last winter although the cost has come down quite a bit to what it was several years ago, it was still a significant repair bill.

I recently bought an '05 VW Passat V6 Wagon manual 5 speed because my Rover was costing me way too much at the gas pump. I had an '02 Passat Wagon manual 5 speed that I bought new and I really liked the way it drove, and the price was really right for the '05 Passat I bought.  The manual transmission is really what sold me though.  But, the money I'm saving on gas basically pays for the car payment which is always a bonus.  I do still have my Rover for the winter months as the thing is a freaking tank in the snow which I love! 8)  We also use it to tow our pop-up camper in the summer months...  :)

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 29, 2011, 02:43 PM

I know all too well about the problems with air suspensions.  I own a '95 Range Rover Classic, and while I absolutely love the look of it, it is a pain to take care of and keep full of gas.  I had to have the coil spring conversion done last winter although the cost has come down quite a bit to what it was several years ago, it was still a significant repair bill.

I recently bought an '05 VW Passat V6 Wagon manual 5 speed because my Rover was costing me way too much at the gas pump. I had an '02 Passat Wagon manual 5 speed that I bought new and I really liked the way it drove, and the price was really right for the '05 Passat I bought.  The manual transmission is really what sold me though.  But, the money I'm saving on gas basically pays for the car payment which is always a bonus.  I do still have my Rover for the winter months as the thing is a freaking tank in the snow which I love! 8)  We also use it to tow our pop-up camper in the summer months...  :)

V6 Passat wagon with a manual? You're exactly what I want to be when I grow up.

Hawkeye

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 29, 2011, 03:17 PM
Quote from: iLikeBeer on Nov 29, 2011, 02:43 PM

V6 Passat wagon with a manual? You're exactly what I want to be when I grow up.

I was thinking of getting a Passat at one time...I don't remember what turned me off from them?  Reliability issues?  (or at least rumors of such)  Not flashy enough/not a luxurious interior?
We could.