!!Product Recommendation!!

Started by capt._headdy, Jul 15, 2010, 08:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johnnYYac

Quote from: Hawkeye on Nov 29, 2011, 01:12 PM
Considering a new (used) car.  Need it to be in the $4000-8000 range.  Would like something AWD or 4x4, something I can haul a fair amount in, something with a really nice interior.  Good gas mileage is a plus.  High reliability is desired.

Currently considering
1)  2001 Audi Allroad - $4950, 160k (miles) - so far, the most tricked out and exciting to me.  Decent cargo room, twin turbo, lots of features, very nice interior.  High miles though.  I did find another one 300 miles away with only 130k for $5200.
2) 2003 Acura MDX - $7500, 160k - roomier interior, nice interior, but not as nice as the Audi, 3rd row seating, supposedly very reliable
3)  2004 Cadillac SRX - $6800, 140k (transfer case is not working) - love the sunroof in this thing...it's huge at over 5 feet long.  Have heard some reliability issues, especially with the AWD.  Decent interior too.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?
If you want reliability, decent mileage w/AWD, etc. I'd recommend you look at Subaru Forester.  A 2004 would be at the high end of your price range.  I'm typing this from my 2009 and love it!  It replaced my 2001.  I suppose it may be smaller than what you're looking at, but its been a great all-around vehicle, great in snow, and hauls trash and recycling every 2 weeks.  It holds a lot with the back seat down.  It seats my whole family with good legroom- me, the wife, and 3 kids.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

Quote from: johnnYYac on Nov 29, 2011, 05:28 PM
Quote from: Hawkeye on Nov 29, 2011, 01:12 PM
Considering a new (used) car.  Need it to be in the $4000-8000 range.  Would like something AWD or 4x4, something I can haul a fair amount in, something with a really nice interior.  Good gas mileage is a plus.  High reliability is desired.

Currently considering
1)  2001 Audi Allroad - $4950, 160k (miles) - so far, the most tricked out and exciting to me.  Decent cargo room, twin turbo, lots of features, very nice interior.  High miles though.  I did find another one 300 miles away with only 130k for $5200.
2) 2003 Acura MDX - $7500, 160k - roomier interior, nice interior, but not as nice as the Audi, 3rd row seating, supposedly very reliable
3)  2004 Cadillac SRX - $6800, 140k (transfer case is not working) - love the sunroof in this thing...it's huge at over 5 feet long.  Have heard some reliability issues, especially with the AWD.  Decent interior too.

Any thoughts or other suggestions?
If you want reliability, decent mileage w/AWD, etc. I'd recommend you look at Subaru Forester.  A 2004 would be at the high end of your price range.  I'm typing this from my 2009 and love it!  It replaced my 2001.  I suppose it may be smaller than what you're looking at, but its been a great all-around vehicle, great in snow, and hauls trash and recycling every 2 weeks.  It holds a lot with the back seat down.  It seats my whole family with good legroom- me, the wife, and 3 kids.

Was considering the Forester at one point too.  Seems like a great vehicle.  The interior is a little pedestrian for me, but I'll definitely keep it in mind.

The more I read about that Allroad, the more scared I become.  Basically, it sounds like you better be able to do the work yourself.  I've worked on a '69 Firebird plenty of times, but this looks like something else.  They're recommending a code-reader that costs $1200, just to do the diagnostics.   :o
We could.

bowl of soup

OK Kindle fire vs. Nook Color.  Any opinions.  For the kiddies.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 29, 2011, 03:17 PM

V6 Passat wagon with a manual? You're exactly what I want to be when I grow up.

LOL!  Yeah, my first Passat Wagon was just the 4 cylinder turbo.  We actually special ordered it from Germany because it was so hard to find a manual wagon.  My wife actually found my current car on AutoTrader.  I wanted another manual, but when I saw it was a V6 to boot?  :D   :o   I owed my wife big time for that find!   :thumbsup:

capt. scotty

Quote from: Hawkeye on Nov 29, 2011, 02:15 PM
Quote from: YouAre_GivenToFly on Nov 29, 2011, 01:24 PM
I'd steer clear of that Audi... and I'm generally a fan of VW/Audi.

http://www.audiforums.com/forum/allroad-model-line-47/common-problems-112190/

That sucks, I was pretty high on that car  :'(
I think it's between the Audi and the MDX.  The MDX is the safer choice, reliability-wise, just not as "fun."  The Cadillac and the Audi are so much bolder, looks-wise.  The Audi is $2500 cheaper, and if anything goes wrong I'd probably just sell it as-is and cut my losses.  Whew! on the price of fixing those turbos!  If I could find an Allroad with the 4.2 V8, I may take that.  Haven't found one yet though.  Tough decisions.

My buddy has a 2011 VW Tiguan.  Wish I could afford that!  Pretty nice.  Huge moonroof, AWD, nice leather, touchscreen, etc.

As someone who used to have an Audi, I wouldnt buy one unless you dont care about how much you'll spend on repairs. I had a 1999 Audi A6 Quattro (4WD) from about 2004-2009 (It was my Dad's before I got it, so it was well maintained), and a pretty serious repair and numerous weird ones were needed every year. I finally sold it about a year ago for $1500 because it needed $3000+ worth of repairs (mainly a whole new exhaust system), and I couldnt afford to maintain it anymore. I loved the car, and it drove great, but it cost far too much to keep it tip top and you'll read most places that Audi need more repairs than Benz's, Beamers, etc.

So, IMO, steer clear of the Audi even if you love it during the test drive.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Hawkeye

As much as that Audi would be awesome, now is probably not the time :(

Have these in mind right now:
1)  2003 Acura MDX - nice interior, lots of interior space, poor gas mileage
2)  2005 Outback XT - better gas mileage, nice interior, a little pricey
3)  2005 Jetta Sportwagen (diesel) - best gas mileage

If anyone has ever owned one of these cars or knows anything about them, feel free to chime in!
We could.

johnnYYac

Quote from: Hawkeye on Dec 01, 2011, 01:22 PM
As much as that Audi would be awesome, now is probably not the time :(

Have these in mind right now:
1)  2003 Acura MDX - nice interior, lots of interior space, poor gas mileage
2)  2005 Outback XT - better gas mileage, nice interior, a little pricey
3)  2005 Jetta Sportwagen (diesel) - best gas mileage

If anyone has ever owned one of these cars or knows anything about them, feel free to chime in!
Chiming in.  PM sent.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

Went with a 2004 Acura MDX.  In my estimation, the practical choice...for family man, you know  :)  A little pricey for the miles...130k, $9,927...but in very good shape and it books for $13k.  Black with black leather interior.  Picking it up Thursday.  Thanks for all the input, esp JY!
We could.