Beer Thread

Started by el_chode, Jan 08, 2009, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jon T.

Stick, can you get DFH?

I've been drinking this lately and it is excellent.  It's a sloooow sipper, but so good.

Burton Baton oak aged ale. mmmmmm   :beer:

armando

Quote from: Jon T. on Sep 08, 2012, 09:08 PM
Stick, can you get DFH?

I've been drinking this lately and it is excellent.  It's a sloooow sipper, but so good.

I second the Burton Baton. At 10% it's definitely a slow sipper. Rich!
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

Quote from: Jon T. on Sep 08, 2012, 09:08 PM
Stick, can you get DFH?

love dogfish head.  I'll keep an eye out for it.  it's a 4packer I assume?

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

breakfast stout just dropped by founders.  I had some in my hand and put it back because I'm not really a coffee fan.  still on the search for my precious KBS.

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

it's good: http://www.arborbrewing.com/beers/17

Mackinac Island Fudge Stout

Description

A roasty, dry stout made with real fudge for a subtle chocolate-fudge character without being sweet or heavy.

History

This beer is great by itself but we also love it in a "carriage bomb." Fill a pint glass one-half to two-thirds full of Mackinac Island Fudge Stout and then drop in a shot glass with half espresso vodka and half Irish cream—delicious!

ABV 5.5%
    IBU 35
    OG 1.054

decent.  overpriced.

jones

Weekend samplings:

Bridgeport IPA (good)
Green Flash Double Stout (awesome)
Yazoo Hop Project IPA  (excellent)
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown Ale (meh)
Dragonfly IPA (good)
Sam Adams Octoberfest (I'm not sure why I ordered this)

iLikeBeer

Quote from: jones on Oct 08, 2012, 10:55 AM
Weekend samplings:

Bridgeport IPA (good)
Green Flash Double Stout (awesome)
Yazoo Hop Project IPA  (excellent)
Sierra Nevada Tumbler Brown Ale (meh)
Dragonfly IPA (good)
Sam Adams Octoberfest (I'm not sure why I ordered this)

Jon, that list is like one of those assignments when you were a kid in elementary school where you pick out the one thing that doesn't belong...  :grin:

walterfredo

Hey Ruckus... FYI, Union Craft Balt took Gold this weekend at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver in the German-style Altbier category!  Pretty amazing feat for a brewery that's only been open a few months. 

Ruckus

Quote from: walterfredo on Oct 15, 2012, 05:33 PM
Hey Ruckus... FYI, Union Craft Balt took Gold this weekend at the Great American Beer Festival in Denver in the German-style Altbier category!  Pretty amazing feat for a brewery that's only been open a few months.
congrats to them!  the baltalt has easily been my favorite of theirs but ive yet to try the hampden rye.  not sure i mentioned it but i went to an outdoor wedding at a state park three weeks ago and they had two kegs of union therem
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

walterfredo

^very cool.  I'll be with Jon in Boston for NYE, hopefully he can find a way to bring some of the beer with him, I really want to sample it. 

iLikeBeer

Been homebrewing for almost 6 months now and I freaking love this hobby (obsession  :cheesy:).  I've only been doing extract brewing up until recently.  I liked extract brewing because it was easy and time saving compared to all grain and I've been very pleased with how my brews have been turning out even though I've heard AG brewing produces better tasting beers.

So I recently discovered a relatively new all grain brewing method called Brew In A Bag (BIAB).  It's basically AG brewing without all of the costly AG brewing equipment.  And while it does add about an hour to my brew day, it still is signifigantly less time consuming than true AG brewing.  And it is more economical than buying expensive extract to brew with. 

I've got one BIAB under my belt which turned out pretty good for my maiden voyage.  I did a Great Lakes Holy Moses clone that a brewer from Great Lakes gave me advice on the recipe.  The thing is, I misread his directions and instead of steeping the spices for the entire boil, I added them at the end of my boil so I barely got any flavors from the spices at all.  Oh well, the beer still tastes pretty good (kind of like a Boddingtons).

Tonight, I'm going to attempt round two of BIAB which is going to be a Bells Two Hearted Clone.  I've already made an extract clone of this beer which was very good so we shall see how my BIAB clone compares.  Wish me luck...  :beer:   :cool:

Hawkeye

Good luck and  :beer: :beer: :beer: !!!

Been out of brewing for waaaayyyy too long.  Can't wait to get going again myself.
We could.

Jon T.

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Oct 17, 2012, 03:02 PM
Been homebrewing for almost 6 months now and I freaking love this hobby (obsession  :cheesy:).  I've only been doing extract brewing up until recently.  I liked extract brewing because it was easy and time saving compared to all grain and I've been very pleased with how my brews have been turning out even though I've heard AG brewing produces better tasting beers.

So I recently discovered a relatively new all grain brewing method called Brew In A Bag (BIAB).  It's basically AG brewing without all of the costly AG brewing equipment.  And while it does add about an hour to my brew day, it still is signifigantly less time consuming than true AG brewing.  And it is more economical than buying expensive extract to brew with. 

I've got one BIAB under my belt which turned out pretty good for my maiden voyage.  I did a Great Lakes Holy Moses clone that a brewer from Great Lakes gave me advice on the recipe.  The thing is, I misread his directions and instead of steeping the spices for the entire boil, I added them at the end of my boil so I barely got any flavors from the spices at all.  Oh well, the beer still tastes pretty good (kind of like a Boddingtons).

Tonight, I'm going to attempt round two of BIAB which is going to be a Bells Two Hearted Clone.  I've already made an extract clone of this beer which was very good so we shall see how my BIAB clone compares.  Wish me luck...  :beer:   :cool:

Do you order from Northern Brewer?  I've been looking at that BIAB system.  Is it a 3 gallon max?  That is what I was looking at and it's just not worth the time for 3 gallons, IMO.

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 17, 2012, 03:53 PM

Do you order from Northern Brewer?  I've been looking at that BIAB system.  Is it a 3 gallon max?  That is what I was looking at and it's just not worth the time for 3 gallons, IMO.

I didn't order from Northern Brewer but I've seen their BIAB kits.  I'm the same way in that 3 gallons is too small. 

I order most of my supplies from a supplier in Michigan called Adventures in Homebrewing (http://www.homebrewing.org/).  They sell BIAB bags and here is a link:  http://www.homebrewing.org/78-Gallon-Sparging-Bag_p_2898.html

Most 'true' BIAB's call for using at least a 10 gallon kettle.  I didn't want to go out and buy a 10 gallon kettle but I've found thru research that you can tweak the process and still get 5 gallon batches using a 7.5 gallon kettle which is what I have.

I've been told that you basically follow any AG 5 gallon recipe as far as ingredients go.  The only difference is to get the grains double crushed or crushed finer than you would for a traditional AG brew.  The first batch I made, I mashed the grains in the bag in about 6.5 gallons of water and after removing the grain bag following the mash, I was left with about 4 gallons of wort prior to the boil and I was told I could just top off with tap water in my fermenter to get to 5 gallons.  It turned out a little bit too watery for my tastes.  I also didn't know to have the grains double crushed either.  So this time, I had my grains double crushed and I'm going to mash the same, but I also have a 5 gallong kettle that I'm going to use to 'sparge' in about 3 gallons of water.  I'm then going to combine the liquid from the two kettles to get about 6 gallons of wort to to a full boil.

Hope this helps...  :beer:

Jon T.

Quote from: iLikeBeer on Oct 17, 2012, 04:34 PM
Quote from: Jon T. on Oct 17, 2012, 03:53 PM

I didn't order from Northern Brewer but I've seen their BIAB kits.  I'm the same way in that 3 gallons is too small. 

I order most of my supplies from a supplier in Michigan called Adventures in Homebrewing (http://www.homebrewing.org/).  They sell BIAB bags and here is a link:  http://www.homebrewing.org/78-Gallon-Sparging-Bag_p_2898.html

Most 'true' BIAB's call for using at least a 10 gallon kettle.  I didn't want to go out and buy a 10 gallon kettle but I've found thru research that you can tweak the process and still get 5 gallon batches using a 7.5 gallon kettle which is what I have.

I've been told that you basically follow any AG 5 gallon recipe as far as ingredients go.  The only difference is to get the grains double crushed or crushed finer than you would for a traditional AG brew.  The first batch I made, I mashed the grains in the bag in about 6.5 gallons of water and after removing the grain bag following the mash, I was left with about 4 gallons of wort prior to the boil and I was told I could just top off with tap water in my fermenter to get to 5 gallons.  It turned out a little bit too watery for my tastes.  I also didn't know to have the grains double crushed either.  So this time, I had my grains double crushed and I'm going to mash the same, but I also have a 5 gallong kettle that I'm going to use to 'sparge' in about 3 gallons of water.  I'm then going to combine the liquid from the two kettles to get about 6 gallons of wort to to a full boil.

Hope this helps...  :beer:

Cool, thanks! 

I know Adventures in Homebrewing, Jason is awesome!  I bought my keg and and supplies from him.

jones

Jeff Murray

Was down at the Dogfish Head Brew Pub a few weeks back and it was the best day off I've had in a while!  I'd highly recommend going down on a Thursday evening or Friday afternoon for the tapping of the 75 min IPA cask.  Very nice beer!

Also tried one of their experimental beers called the Wet Hop, it was dark in color, but with a light IPA flavor, very refreshing beer.  My friend got a 90 min IPA that they run thru a homemade infusion machine, can't remember the name of it, but it actually took a little bit of the hops out of the beer, which I thougth was odd.

And I agree with everyone else regarding the Burton Baton, only got a sample, but it was very good!  Definitely a sipper, or an early night if you drink it regularly!   :beer:
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

iLikeBeer

Sassbox

Very excited about the Hosplam release in DC the week of 1/21! I got a case last year, but I think I'll just go with a couple of sixers this year. I'm the only beer drinker in the house and I'm a bit of a lightweight at that.

A friend sent me four Plinys for Christmas and while I know they are meant to be consumed as soon as possible after bottling, I'm having a hard time letting the last two go.

:: curses ::
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

Loress

Ahh, a thread after my own heart...  :smiley:

My southern neighbours, you guys have it GOOD. Our craft beer scene is certainly growing here in Canada (I live in Vancouver), but the sheer selection you guys have access too is overwhelming!

Did anyone else get one of these for Christmas? :)

http://www.craftbeerimports.ca/index.php
These pretzels are making me thirsty.