Beer Thread

Started by el_chode, Jan 08, 2009, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iLikeBeer

Quote from: Sassbox on Jan 04, 2013, 01:51 PM
Very excited about the Hosplam release in DC the week of 1/21! I got a case last year, but I think I'll just go with a couple of sixers this year. I'm the only beer drinker in the house and I'm a bit of a lightweight at that.

A friend sent me four Plinys for Christmas and while I know they are meant to be consumed as soon as possible after bottling, I'm having a hard time letting the last two go.

:: curses ::

I love me some Hopslam!  I have a recipe to make a clone of it but it's such a BIG beer (both in grains and in hops) that I don't know if I can pull it off with my homebrew equipment.

I've never had the pleasure of having a Pliny but I've heard a ton of good things about that beer as well.  I also have a recipe to brew this, but it too is a pretty big brew to tackle for what I'm equipped to brew.  I'd also like to try the real thing before I attempt to brew a clone.  :beer:

iLikeBeer

Loress

I sure did :)

Some fantastic breweries from BC if anyone gets the chance to try:

Driftwood
Parallel 49
Central City (Red Racer)
Phillips
R&B
Coal Harbour
Red Truck
Vancouver Island
Spinnakers
Storm
Russell
Steamworks
Whistler

These pretzels are making me thirsty.

walterfredo

glad to see this thread is alive! 

During our trip to Boston we drove up to VT in a snow storm and made it to Hill Farmstead Brewery!  Such an amazing time.  Had dinner that night at the Prohibition Pig in Waterbury, talk about an amazing lineup of beers on tap.  VT is a beer lovers heaven. 

yakeroo

All this talk about DFH is making me jealous that I can not find a supplier in Tennessee. Especially for the American Beauty.

Tried this tonight and did not hate it, but could not handle more than one glass. Had the maple aroma but too much of smoke taste for me.

Ruckus

I'm with ya yakeroo.  I find that Rogue to be virtually unpalatable and the price point is ludicrous!

Now all I want for Christmas is a beervent calendar!  Thanks loress.

Hey Walter.   Sounds like Union Craft blew away their own expectations this past year from what I read.  I've tried five of theirs now and have enjoyed them all.  Loved their Rowhouse Red and I think it's been brilliant naming each beer in homage to B'more in some way.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Sassbox

I'm so effing excited!

I just set up a trade...I'll be the recipient of Heady Topper in the next few weeks.

Good Lord, drinking beer was not this much work so many moons ago.

:beer:
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

walterfredo

Quote from: Ruckus on Jan 08, 2013, 08:26 AM

Hey Walter.   Sounds like Union Craft blew away their own expectations this past year from what I read.  I've tried five of theirs now and have enjoyed them all.  Loved their Rowhouse Red and I think it's been brilliant naming each beer in homage to B'more in some way.

Kudos to them.  Jon and his wife were supposed to be joining us in Boston for NYE, but a biz opp came up for him to do a beer dinner with a local chef and he went for it.  (Their tix were completely wasted too...thanks Roll Call!!).  Couldn't be happening to better folks! 

Sassox...you'll love the topper.  I am NOT an IPA/DIPA guy whatsoever, but Heady Topper is off the charts good.  Had plenty of that while in VT before NYE too.  Great stuff.

e_wind

This is what my fridge is lookin like right now.
Hopslam, Tazmanian IPA (highly recommended special release by schlafly) Shlafly APA, West 6th IPA (highly recommended newish brewery from Lexington), one bottle left of Stone's Vertical Epic 12.12.12, Shlafly Pale Ale (not very good), and a couple Highlifes - cause I'm only American. (Or because my cheap friend left em here). Also just finished this:
Dogfish Head - Robert Johnson's Hellhound on my Ale! Incredibly good. Artwork by Spusta!
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

HansAndreas

Had the West Sixth IPA at Louisville Beer store and really loved it. Wish I could go there more often. Great store.

iLikeBeer

That's a shitload of Hopslam e!  But, I guess you can never have enough of that tasty nectar! 

Have you taken the plunge into homebrewing yet?

I just had a New Belgium Brewery kick.  Brewed a Ranger clone last weekend and a Fat Tire clone this past weekend.  It is my first attempt at an all-grain recipe for both of them so I hope they turn out good!

I recently made an all-grain recipe of Great Lakes Christmas Ale for the first time and if it wasn't for the color being a little darker, you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between my clone and the real thing!   :thumbsup:  I fucked up the recipe as it called for .08 lbs of roasted barley to add a little color.  Well I read it as saying 8 oz which is half a pound?!  So, needless to say, my clone turned out a bit darker than it should have, but it didn't affect the taste which is all I care about!   :beer:

Jeff Murray

Troeg's had a Firkin battle last Saturday... it was ridiculous!  They adjusted the recipie for the Nugget Nectar by adding some lemon peels I believe and some other things and then had a Firkin of Perpetual IPA that was tweaked too.

People were parked along Hersheypark Drive from 743 to the outlets trying to get in... the wait was 25 - 30 mins for a beer, if you could even get in the doors, and they kicked all the firkins in 45 minutes.  A lot of irritated customers that didn't even get a taste of the beers since there was basically no organization what so ever.  Thankfully my friend got there early and gave me a heads up to bypass and meet somewhere else.  Going forward I think they need to sell tickets in advance so there isn't so much chaos and people will know whether to make the trip if they are coming from out of town.

I'm glad they are doing very well, but they need to work on the organization at the tasting room to meet the standards they have set with their beers!   :beer:
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

e_wind

iLB... My brother and I just started brewing, we have a clone of 3 Floyd's Dreadnaught fermenting right now. I haven't ever had it, but he swears its an amazing imperial IPA and I tend to have similar tastes as him. It's our first ever batch, so here's to hoping! It smells good...

pawpaw

I've been drinking a lot of this lately:

It's really, really good.

I had a 22 of this last weekend and liked it too:

That Lagunitas is awesome though. If you like IPAs, try and find it.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

walterfredo

Sucks is an AMAZING beer, might just be my fav from Lagunitas.  So good!

Going to be hitting up some of the SF Beer week events in the city this weekend. 

http://www.sfbeerweek.org/

bearass

lagunitas is my favorite brew and i was pissed they skimped me on the brown shugga last year and ive been catching up with my lost love for the last few...

edit - besides hopslam, and on a side note schlafly's aipa is the poor mans version of bells masterpiece

Crispy

I found a good use for this:

I used about 3/4 of the bottle for the liquid in what I think is a pretty damn good batch of chili. The rest I poured down the drain. Kidding! I drank it, but sheesh. I got it from Mr. vespacheck, who suggested using it to make a glaze for pork chops, which sounds great, I'll try that next time.

"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

e_wind

I just spilt one of my last Hopslams. fuck

Jon T.

Quote from: e_wind on Feb 27, 2013, 11:43 PM
I just spilt one of my last Hopslams. fuck
I spilled two of 'em down my gullet last night!