Beer Thread

Started by el_chode, Jan 08, 2009, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Taxman

Re: Sam Adams - I think they make great beers despite their scale and they are a decent company despite their wealth and there's a lot to be said for that.  Last year there was a world-wide shortage of hops (seriously) and Sam Adams sold off some of the gobs of hops they had laying around to microbrewers across the country for the same cost they got them for.  Most companies would try to squeeze out the competition, Sam Adams wants as much good beer to be at the party as possible.  I really like their homebrewer packs and seasonals

What about the sam adams triple bock? That was some seriously disgusting stuff, and I'm not too picky in what beers I like...  
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver

capt. scotty

I need to get a case of brew today in the next 3 hours so as to have it before the Steeler game...

...I need some recommendations on stuff I could find at a distributor here (they do carry a lot of stuff..Ive had DFHead, Anderson Valley, many PA micros, etc).

Something under or about 30$, and preferrably not an IPA or too hoppy (I love hoppy beers, but not in the mood today)..Something very sippable but easy to drink 6+  ;D

Go.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tower

Perhaps a Belgian style?  Hard to know what you'll have there but La Chouffe is fantastic (although high alcohol content) but comes in the 750ml.  Blue Moon isn't bad for a mass produced belgian style.  If you can get the Bells Winter Ale it's similar to a belgian style.  For that matter the Bells Oberon is tasty as hell too.  

Hefeweizen is sippable as well...my favorite is the Hacker-Pschorr and Paulaner is a good second.

By the way, I tried the Boulder Brewing Co. Dry-Hopped last night but wasn't too impressed, seemed a little thin to me.   No worries, I also picked up a 6 pack of Loose Cannon IPA, so lovely!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

A belgian does sound good for today...

Never heard of La Chouffe...how much does that stuff run for a case??

Might look into that Bell's Winter Ale..I know I tried the Oberon, thought it was pretty good, but that was in Iowa so I dont know if they have it out here...any other Winter ale/seasonal recommendations?? Might go for that Sierra Celebration Ale since I havent tried that.

I think Ive had Paulaner but wasnt a huge fan, but hard to remember..I think I might be confusing it with Spaten
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tower

La Chouffe probably doesn't come in a case since it's the big 750ml bottles.  But it's damn good and ya gotta love the little gnome on the bottle.

Just cracked open a Bells Best Brown Ale, also a tasty choice.

Avery Jubilation Ale was tasty, picked a single bottle of that up last week, Liquor Barn puts all the "extras" on sale for $1-$2 and I grabbed like ten different beers and had a tasty sampler for a good price.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

capt. scotty

Yeah, the shitty thing about PA is all you can buy is 24-packs, or your standard macro sixer from a bar or something.

After looking a bit online though, it does appear they have a slection of Bell's...They also have Young's which Ive never heard of, plus what I expected like Victory, Stone, Great Lakes, DFH, Rogue, Troegs, Sammy Smith..

Im almost positive they have Chimay and Delirium and stuff, but dont really know the extent of their imports..then again, not really trying to spend over 30$ for a case though either

Im starting to get a beer boner...thinks its time for a trip to the distributor!!

tower

You can't go wrong with Bell's, of course I'm biased as I used to live in Kalamazoo where they are.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

Foxtrot76

QuoteThat Brother Thelonius is FANTASTIC.  Good call!

chode, I just found it funny that of all the great US-brewed beers, anyone would pick Sam Adams as a favorite...specially since dragon seems to have pretty good taste in the UK beers!  Sam Adams, you gotta be kidding me...   ;)

Also recommending the Delirium Nocturnum.  Much better than the Tremens, IMO.  

Just enjoyed myself a nocturnum. fantastic brew. enjoying a scottish ale called Robert the Bruce by Three Floyd's.

capt. scotty

First off, WOW - didnt realize Chimay or Delirium were that expensive by the case...over 100$ each

I ended up going Belgian, and tried out Wittekerke..Pretty good, and not very expensive at all.

Since basically all Belgians at the distributor here seem very expensive, Im sure Ill find myself getting this again for just over 30$ a case

tower

Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

aMillionDreams

Re: Sam Adams - I think they make great beers despite their scale and they are a decent company despite their wealth and there's a lot to be said for that.  Last year there was a world-wide shortage of hops (seriously) and Sam Adams sold off some of the gobs of hops they had laying around to microbrewers across the country for the same cost they got them for.  Most companies would try to squeeze out the competition, Sam Adams wants as much good beer to be at the party as possible.  I really like their homebrewer packs and seasonals

What about the sam adams triple bock? That was some seriously disgusting stuff, and I'm not too picky in what beers I like...  

Agreed. That is some nasty shit!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

capt. scotty

I ended up going Belgian, and tried out Wittekerke..Pretty good, and not very expensive at all.

I had a few too many of these yesterday due to the Steeler game and am kind of hungover.

I think Im going to have 3 or 4 now as a hangover helper  [smiley=beer.gif]

ALady

QuoteYou can't go wrong with Bell's, of course I'm biased as I used to live in Kalamazoo where they are.

We just started getting Bell's in Chicago again this summer.  There was some weird thing with their distributor and we hadn't been able to get it for a few years.

I don't like their Oberon as much as everyone else seems to, but I really, really dig the Amber.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

tower

I've also been digging their Best Brown Ale as of late!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

ALady

Oh, cool - I'll have to give that a try.  It's been so nice being able to get Bell's again.  :)

I don't think I drank a drop all weekend.  Well, I did have a Smithwick's Thursday night.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Jaimoe

QuoteGoing to school in Syracuse it was always BNL

And yes, you gave us lots of CLASSIC rock, and we thank you, but I'm talking about now. I mean it took Syracuse for me to even hear of the Hip, and whatever your feelings on that, without them I would have never looked into a lot of other bands.

Seriously? Sticking to mainly indie rock/folk for now, we have quite a few popular acts out there: Arcade Fire, Feist, Broken Social Scene, Black Mountain, The Stills, The Dears, Stars, Hot Hot Heat, Sloan, Sam Roberts, Kathleen Edwards, k-Os.

BTW, I was weaned on Syracuse rock radio growing up in the 70's and 80's: 94 Rock and KIX FM kicked ass. I'm also a diehard Orangemen fan (basketball). I'm no lover of the city of Syracuse as a place to visit (although I've heard that it's cleaned itself up over the past decade - I must visit again), but I like the people, the radio stations, TV affiliates and Leo Rautins, Sherman Douglas, Stevie Thompson, Pearl Washington, Gerry McNamara and Hakim Warrick - to name a few.

el_chode

I ran the university radio station and became a bit too outspoken as a critic of all things speech related during the 2004 presidential campaign and their switch to the Orange form Orangemen. This culminated in a massive student-wide effort to create a performance venue on campus since the school (private) paid the police (public) to raid local bars hosting concerts with the 18 to chill, 21 to spill mentality to "curb underage drinking". They would also raid house parties and send 50 or so drunk kids wandering the mean streets to be stabbed and mugged.

So I tried to do something about it and got expelled for what ultimately amounted me calling a straight kid gay, except I never really said that, but it didn't matter because I was out.

Long story short, I hate Syracuse, but the Syracuse/Ithaca areas have become notorious for their excessive free speech regulation.

On topic: I hate the Arcade Fire and wish they never made music, but I'll give you the rest. But still, how truly popular are most of these artists? Sure you and I and most people here know them, but this is a board dedicated to the greatest band to ever be ignored by mainstream media (until recently).

On the larger scale, Canada is America's arch nemesis and vice-versa, and for some reason your weapons are more effective: Labatt's, Celine Dion, and Nickelback. All we ever gave you was 8 years of failed leadership. So unbalanced.
I'm surrounded by assholes

jones

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout
Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale (how can beer that good come out of a can?)

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteGoose Island Bourbon County Stout

Had the Goose Island IPA this weekend...and had forgotten that I had until I saw your post.  ;D  

So, I've been told that beer is better stored in cans than bottles.  Maybe it's a mental thing with me, but I don't like canned beer.  I always get that light metallic taste.  Anyhow, Dales is pretty good -- even if it is in a can.  ;)

jones

QuoteGoose Island Bourbon County Stout

Had the Goose Island IPA this weekend...and had forgotten that I had until I saw your post.  ;D  

So, I've been told that beer is better stored in cans than bottles.  Maybe it's a mental thing with me, but I don't like canned beer.  I always get that light metallic taste.  Anyhow, Dales is pretty good -- even if it is in a can.  ;)

Hmmm... I suddenly crave Goose IPA.  How'd you do that?