Beer Thread

Started by el_chode, Jan 08, 2009, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

I didn't see one of these, so here it goes...

I'm a beer snob. My friends and I tour micro breweries. My local store will get me a keg of anything if I give them enough time and they have a wall of random selections from around the country and globe, so I'm always looking for something new and good.

Any of you have any heady brews from your area that you recommend?

I'm in the NY/NJ/PA area, and my top choices would have to be Weyerbacher for the harder-to-find brews and Victory for the easier to find types.

Other, more distant brews I enjoy are Flying Dog brews from CO (Ralph Steadman does the art, they're tributes to Hunter Thompson) and their Imperial Gonzo Porter and Horndog are my favorites. Also the Stone Brewery in CA with their Ruination and Arrogant Bastard Ales.
I'm surrounded by assholes

searchinbig

QuoteI didn't see one of these, so here it goes...

I'm a beer snob. My friends and I tour micro breweries. My local store will get me a keg of anything if I give them enough time and they have a wall of random selections from around the country and globe, so I'm always looking for something new and good.

I'm in the NY/NJ/PA area, and my top choices would have to be Weyerbacher for the harder-to-find brews and Victory for the easier to find types.

Other, more distant brews I enjoy are Flying Dog brews from CO (Ralph Steadman does the art, they're tributes to Hunter Thompson) and their Imperial Gonzo Porter and Horndog are my favorites. Also the Stone Brewery in CA with their Ruination and Arrogant Bastard Ales.

Arrogant Bastard rules! Quite the religious experience.

Only problem is it costs so freakin' much.  [smiley=beer.gif]
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Hawkeye

I like almost all of the New Glarus beers, but you can only get them in Wisconsin...luckily I live right across the border, only about 90 miles from the brewery.  I also like La Binchoise Grand Reserve from Belgium, but I have a hard time finding it.  It's 13% alcohol and muy delicious.
We could.

capt. scotty

I live in Pittsburgh, so gimme all the recommendations you have Chode!

Im a big fan of Victory..enjoy every 1 of their brews Ive had, which is basically all of them, except their Lager and Golden Monkey.

Weyerbacher Ive only had a couple of times and a few different ones, but thought those were pretty good.

Flying Dogs Ive had a lot, and while most of them werent bad, they didnt impress me at all. Ill probably never go for any of them again.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

QuoteI live in Pittsburgh, so gimme all the recommendations you have Chode!

Im a big fan of Victory..enjoy every 1 of their brews Ive had, which is basically all of them, except their Lager and Golden Monkey.

Weyerbacher Ive only had a couple of times and a few different ones, but thought those were pretty good.

Flying Dogs Ive had a lot, and while most of them werent bad, they didnt impress me at all. Ill probably never go for any of them again.

The Imperial Gonzo Porter is the only beer I've had that tastes better at room temp than cold. I'm a slow drinker, so it suits me well. Their Horndog is 13% alc, but doesn't taste it. I made this mistake while painting my living room. My girlfriend fired me.

I had a keg of Golden Monkey at my Halloween party. I died my hair orange because I was a ginger zombie. The next morning I had ripped down all the curtains in the apartment and there were no less than a baker's dozen orange smears on the walls from the various places my head had apparently landed. This is a dangerous beer. I also recommend visiting their Brewery if you get the chance, it's a good time with great food.

Victory V12 is just an incredible brew. It was last years' anniversary ale.

This year's anniversary ale from Stone was pretty amazing if I remember as well.

If you like the stronger beers, Weyerbacher's Blithering Idiot and Blasphemy Ale's/Barley Wines are phenomenal. The Blithering Idiot is actually something you can age in your basement to let it get even sweeter. Otherwise, they're a really home-grown operation. The Founder has a brew now made with hops from his backyard (Harvest Ale).

If you haven't picked up any Dogfish head from DE you should, especially their 90 min IPA. That is 9% alcohol I believe, but fantastic.

Jersey has Riverhorse and Flying Dog, with Flying Dog being the 2nd biggest brewer in NJ after Busch, though that's not really a good comparison. Flying Dog makes an Espresso Porter that is pretty unique.

Stone's may be expensive, but they get the job done!

If you ever find yourself in NYC, go to the Peculiar Pub; DC - the Brickskellar (though set your hopes low, they're usually out of stock of what you want); Philly - Monk's Cafe; all of these locations typically have a wide assortment of beers I've mentioned and a ton from Belgium (though I've never had the Binchoise Grand Reserve, but I will look for it).

And if you're in Philly, it's beer city USA. You can usually find the brews from the recipes developed by Washington and Jefferson in most bars.

capt. scotty

V12 is awesome...Every winter before my Pops moved this year, hed get at least a case of those V12 (which is 12 bottles since those bottles are like 32 oz). Lets just say I usually ended up drinking more of the case than him  ;D

Big fan of Dogfishead..Like everything Ive tried from them. Might be my favorite brewery

Not planning any traveling soon, but Ill try to check this thread out again next time im in C or Philly

If youre ever in the Burgh, go to The Sharp Edge. They have over 100 Belgians on tap, and some damn good ones too, and over 500 beers to choose from there. Fathead's is also pretty good
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

el_chode

It's always good to check out the beer bars. I've only been near pitt once when driving to South Bend. We stayed in Mars. It felt like it.

I call V12 Liquid Cocaine because my mouth went entirely numb. I drank an entire bottle during a brewery tour.

If you feel like making a 6 hour road trip, Philly Beer Week is always a blast. I lived in DE for a year until August while I went to Law School in the area. It's more like 10 days, but you get to try stuff from all over, meet the brewers, see what the brewers drink, etc.

Also, Monk's cafe incorporates beer into most of their recipes. You can also drink at the country's oldest operating pub (or something like that).

I just got a bomber of Lagunitas' Zappa Beer. I haven't had it yet, but it's next on my list.

Jaimoe

I'm crossing the border tomorrow morning for a quick weekend vacation to Florida, so I'll keep my eyes open for some of your Yankee micros.

My favourite beers are:

Mill Street Tankhouse - Ontario pale ale (micro)
Kronenbourg 1664 - France
Black Oak Pale Ale - Ontario (micro)
Dragoon's Pale Ale - Ontario (micro)
St. Ambroise  Pale - Montreal (micro)

I was recently in Upstate NY State and found lots of great micro brews there including some from Cooperstown.

I do dislike most major US brands, especially Bud and Miller.

el_chode

Watch out though, Bud especially has begun ripping off the craft brewers by mimicking their styles. Example: Shocktop Ale and few other seasonals that come out bearing no indication of their parent company.

NY has some good brews, especially the Saranacs.

I believe the prime hops-growing regions of the country are in PA, NY, Ore, and Washington with a little bit of CO

Jaimoe

QuoteWatch out though, Bud especially has begun ripping off the craft brewers by mimicking their styles. Example: Shocktop Ale and few other seasonals that come out bearing no indication of their parent company.

I believe the prime hops-growing regions of the country are in PA, NY, Ore, and Washington with a little bit of CO

I had Saranac Lake Pale and it was excellent. I brought 6 back across the border as well as 12 Cooperstown Pale.

Parts of the lower Prairie Provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) in Canada are the prime hop growing areas.

capt. scotty

Saranac has a quite a few good brews, typically their seasonals but I cant remember any names.

el_chode

QuoteWatch out though, Bud especially has begun ripping off the craft brewers by mimicking their styles. Example: Shocktop Ale and few other seasonals that come out bearing no indication of their parent company.

I had Saranac Lake Pale and it was excellent. I brought 6 back across the border as well as 12 Cooperstown Pale.

Parts of the lower Prairie Provinces (Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba) in Canada are the prime hop growing areas.

I always think its' funny how the worst of Canadian culture is what becomes popular here. I have beers from Russia, Belgium, Germany, Austria, and Mexico at my store, but the only Canadian beer is Labbats and Molson.

And of course, all we get musically is Nickelback and BNL.

ALady

Some of my favorites include Sprecher and Lakefront, both brewed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (helluva brewery tour, too, if you ever get a chance!) Unibroue, brewed in Chambly, Quebec (excellent Belgian-style beers) and of course Chicago's Goose Island (love the 312 - it's a wheat beer, great for summertime, and lately I've been digging their Mild Winter ale).

Going to a Goose Island beer dinner next week, actually:

Caramelized Cippolini and Braised Beef Soup
paired with Nut Brown Ale
Slow cooked in a lemongrass chicken stock with aged manchego cheese.

Arugula and Sherry Tomato Jam
paired with Honker's Ale
Baby arugula tossed in house made sherry vinaigrette along with a sherry-tomato jam, Murcia al Vino cheese and a crispy prosciutto chip.

India Pale Ale Grilled Quail
paired with India Pale Ale
Marinated and grilled with IPA beer served with grilled treviso, white bean cassoulet, and a grilled Meyer lemon sauce.

Seared Lamb Loin
paired with Matilda
Seared medium rare with an Earl Grey tea and shiitake mushroom risotto and a roasted chestnut puree.

Marshmallow Verbena Pannacotta & Poached Anjou Pears
paired with Pere Jacques
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

el_chode

QuoteSome of my favorites include Sprecher and Lakefront, both brewed in Milwaukee, Wisconsin (helluva brewery tour, too, if you ever get a chance!) Unibroue, brewed in Chambly, Quebec (excellent Belgian-style beers) and of course Chicago's Goose Island (love the 312 - it's a wheat beer, great for summertime, and lately I've been digging their Mild Winter ale).

Going to a Goose Island beer dinner next week, actually:

Caramelized Cippolini and Braised Beef Soup
paired with Nut Brown Ale
Slow cooked in a lemongrass chicken stock with aged manchego cheese.

Arugula and Sherry Tomato Jam
paired with Honker's Ale
Baby arugula tossed in house made sherry vinaigrette along with a sherry-tomato jam, Murcia al Vino cheese and a crispy prosciutto chip.

India Pale Ale Grilled Quail
paired with India Pale Ale
Marinated and grilled with IPA beer served with grilled treviso, white bean cassoulet, and a grilled Meyer lemon sauce.

Seared Lamb Loin
paired with Matilda
Seared medium rare with an Earl Grey tea and shiitake mushroom risotto and a roasted chestnut puree.

Marshmallow Verbena Pannacotta & Poached Anjou Pears
paired with Pere Jacques

I never heard of Goose Island until I went to South Bend to visit my brother and it's all they kept talking about. I remember liking it.

Also, I'm very jealous

pawpaw

I'm a California guy, so here's a list of local stuff that I like to drink:

Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - Boont Amber and Hop Ottin' IPA are both outstanding, as well as a winter seasonal that I forget the name of.

Lagunitas Brewing Co. - A couple great IPAs, and A LOT of seasonal beers, some only bottled in 22s.

North Coast Brewing Co. - The two Acme label beers (Pale Ale and IPA) are great, and they do a couple Belgian style brews that are awesome, including the Brother Thelonious (cool label, see below).

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. - I went to college in the town where this stuff is brewed, so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them. The (seasonal, and currently available) Celebration Ale is really great, and I'll never turn down a Pale Ale.

My favorite bars for beers in Northern California are Toronado in San Francisco and The Trappist in Oakland.

I LOVE Belgian style beers too, including Chimay Triple, Affligem Triple, Maudite and Urthel Quadrium.

"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

ALady

That Lagunitas IPA is delish.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

capt. scotty

QuoteI'm a California guy, so here's a list of local stuff that I like to drink:

Anderson Valley Brewing Co. - Boont Amber and Hop Ottin' IPA are both outstanding, as well as a winter seasonal that I forget the name of.

Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. - I went to college in the town where this stuff is brewed, so I'll always have a soft spot in my heart for them. The (seasonal, and currently available) Celebration Ale is really great, and I'll never turn down a Pale Ale.

Somehow we get Anderson Valley out here in da Burgh. Ive had the Boont Amber, good stuff. Gotta love the artwork on the case of the bear with antlers too  ;D

Like every Sierra Ive had, but I think thats only the IPA, Porter, and Wheat. I guess Ill have to try the Celebration. Whats it taste like??

Sassbox

I had multiples of the Celebration at the NYE pre-party.  Best I can recall, it was quite tasty.  Ow, my head.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

pawpaw

QuoteI'm a California guy, so here's a list of local stuff that I like to drink:

Somehow we get Anderson Valley out here in da Burgh. Ive had the Boont Amber, good stuff. Gotta love the artwork on the case of the bear with antlers too  ;D

Like every Sierra Ive had, but I think thats only the IPA, Porter, and Wheat. I guess Ill have to try the Celebration. Whats it taste like??

I'm not very good at describing beer and wine flavors, but it's IPA-ish...with some subtle, holiday-appropriate spice flavors. It's probably about 6% abv. A nice cold weather brew.
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

Ghosts_on_TV

QuoteI didn't see one of these, so here it goes...

Whereabouts do you live?
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...