Beer Thread

Started by el_chode, Jan 08, 2009, 09:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tower

I've been on an IPA kick this past year.

Dogfish Head is fantastic as previously mentioned.  Bell's Brewery in Kalamazoo, MI (used to live there) is great as well.  Two-Hearted Ale is right up there with the DFH 90 Min IPA and I don't think Bells makes a bad beer...ever.

I've recently got into Heavy Seas - Loose Cannon (Hop3 Ale) from Clipper City Brewery.  Also up there with the 90min and the Two-Hearted!

Left Hand Brewery makes Jackman's Pale Ale and its pretty damn  great as well although not truly an IPA.

In Louisville a lot of people like the BBC beers but I'm not a huge fan.  Their organic IPA is pretty good though if you can find it on tap.  Cumberland Brews on Bardstown Road makes better beers in my opinion, some great stuff there.
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

Crispy

Any homebrewers here? I used to brew quite a bit but have fallen out of practice and need to get back in the saddle. The weirdest beer I ever made was a blueberry stout - I thought it was pretty good.
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

el_chode

QuoteAny homebrewers here? I used to brew quite a bit but have fallen out of practice and need to get back in the saddle. The weirdest beer I ever made was a blueberry stout - I thought it was pretty good.

When I own my own place I plan on doing it. I always wanted to make a Mahgeetale, Golden Golden Ale, and One Big IPA, then ship it to the studio to give the band inspiration.
I'm surrounded by assholes

ALady

QuoteYou septics don't know shit about good beer!  ;)

Anything by Badger Ales (Poachers Choice, Golden Champion, Golden Glory, Blandford Fly etc)
http://www.hall-woodhouse.co.uk/

Youngs (Directors, London Special Ale, Oatmeal Stout)
http://www.youngs.co.uk/

Fullers (ESB, London Pride, London Glory, Honey Dew)
http://www.fullers.co.uk/

+ Green King IPA, Old Speckled Hen, Abbot Ale, John Smith's if there's nothing else...

I like Budvar & Pilsner Urquell. I drank some fantastic beers in in the Czech Republic, can't remember the names of any of them.

Kinfisher, Cobra & Maharaja are all good.

Sam Adams is my fav US beer, I enjoyed Fat Tire when I was there last year, Brooklyn Lager is good too...

Ah dragon, you had me and you lost me...   ;)

Anyway, being a former stoner, there's still a little in me where when I see the word "Smoke" and I"m buzzed I get giggly. The beer is on my MBA list, so I order it and my friends all make a scene saying that's the most pothead thing to do.  Whatever.

I'd say the most stoner-friendly-named beer I've tried is the Sweetwater 420 Extra Pale Ale.  It was delicious, too   :)

Other beers in recent rotation are the Left Hand Milk Stout (saw tower mentioned another Left Hand brew above) and last fall I was really digging the Great Lakes Nosferatu.  Mmm...
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

el_chode

You gotta respect sam adams. They do the craft thing really well for such a large-production brewery. Also, they've been helping the small guys out during the recent hops shortages over the past year or two by selling their surplus hops to small brewers at the prices they get (which is super cheap due to their purchasing power)

They also will occasionally buy the small guy's recipes and distribute, giving the small guy a cut of the profits.

NoVa_NoLa

I just tried the Bro. Thelonius last month...that is good stuff!!  Of all the different beer that I brought home for the family to try over the holidays, I selfishly kept my last bottle of Thelonius for myself.  :-[  ;)

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteI think this is the new location, I was never at the old one, but from what you described, especially the music it seems the same! I think the old one was on Hudson Street.

Yep...the Blind Tiger made for excellent pre- and post-game beer for shows at Tribeca Blues.  

Sassbox

QuoteLike Jaimoe I enjoy Kronnenberg, it's just hard as fuck to find.

Not sure where you are, but they serve Kronenbourg at the bar in the Sofitel Hotel in Philadelphia.  I know because I had, er, more than one on New Year's Eve eve.  ;)
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

ALady

That Brother Thelonius is FANTASTIC.  Good call!

chode, I just found it funny that of all the great US-brewed beers, anyone would pick Sam Adams as a favorite...specially since dragon seems to have pretty good taste in the UK beers!  Sam Adams, you gotta be kidding me...   ;)

Also recommending the Delirium Nocturnum.  Much better than the Tremens, IMO.  

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteI've been on an IPA kick this past year.

I've recently got into Heavy Seas - Loose Cannon (Hop3 Ale) from Clipper City Brewery.  Also up there with the 90min and the Two-Hearted!

Disclaimer: I am a hoppy beer fan.

Two-Hearted is on-sale at my Whole Foods this week =)  And Clipper City makes some tasty brews.  The Loose Canon is great!

el_chode

I like how Loose Cannon's advertised as "like drinking three loaves of bread"

NoVa_NoLa

QuoteYou gotta respect sam adams. They do the craft thing really well for such a large-production brewery. Also, they've been helping the small guys out during the recent hops shortages over the past year or two by selling their surplus hops to small brewers at the prices they get (which is super cheap due to their purchasing power)

They also will occasionally buy the small guy's recipes and distribute, giving the small guy a cut of the profits.

I heard about that, too and thought it was pretty nice of them to help out.  Their beer still tastes like swill to me, but your taste buds may vary.  :)

I haven't seen Stoudt's mentioned.  I think they're out of PA.  Haven't had a bad beer by them yet...

Penny Lane

QuoteI think this is the new location, I was never at the old one, but from what you described, especially the music it seems the same! I think the old one was on Hudson Street.

Last time there they were playing great selections from the whole Kinks discography! I had many Brooklyn Larger Weisse's and a pear cider that I can't remember the name of, hence how good they were!

i like The Hop Devil Grill down at St. Mark's Place? That's where i first had chocolate stout and they have everthing there--not that i'm a beer conniseur --i only get cravings for beer in the summertime.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

el_chode

QuoteThat Brother Thelonius is FANTASTIC.  Good call!

chode, I just found it funny that of all the great US-brewed beers, anyone would pick Sam Adams as a favorite...specially since dragon seems to have pretty good taste in the UK beers!  Sam Adams, you gotta be kidding me...   ;)

Also recommending the Delirium Nocturnum.  Much better than the Tremens, IMO.  

No that's a great point about Sam too. It's just a great reliable beer when your other likely choices may be a Bud, Miller, or Coors.

I heard the new Sam Chocolate Stout is good.

And Stoudts is great beer, as is Troegs, especially their Mad Elf seasonal.

Lest we not forget the awesomeness of the Harpoon Winter Warmer Seasonal.

Foxtrot76

Three Floyds brewing co in Munster, IN whips up some great beer. I think you can only get it in Illinois and Indiana. My 2 favorites are the Alpha King pale ale (probably my favorite beer ever) and Gumballhead (a wheat beer). Here's a link to their site:

http://www.threefloyds.com/

they just opened a brew pub too! looks like I need to make a trip from Chicago...

NoVa_NoLa

OK, so when's the first forum beer tasting?   ;D :D :)

MarkW

QuoteOK, so when's the first forum beer tasting?   ;D :D :)

I'm going out to drink some right now.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Foxtrot76

I'm going out to drink some right now.

all this beer talk is making me very thirsty... :D

el_chode

I'd post my link to my brewtour group for you NYC folk if I actually ever updated the thing.

I'm going to work on my MBA tonite at the place mentioned earlier on in my Bacon Beer monologue.

Did I mention they have 90 min IPA on tap there at all times? No? Well they do.

They also have special mixed versions of beers w/ guinness:

Blackdog - 90 Min IPA + Guiness
BlackMagic - No. 9 + Guinness
Black & Blue - Blue Moon + Guinness

http://www.cloverleaftavern.com/beer.shtml

ALady

I think we had it on NYE   ;D

In all seriousness, if any Chicago-area posters want to get together, there's a brewpub out in Flossmoor that does brewery tours, and has great food, too.  You can take the Metra right there if you live in the city.  Might be a fun thing to do on a dreary winter Saturday...

http://www.flossmoorstation.com/

I've had their Gandy Dancer Honey Ale, but haven't tried any of the others.  It was pretty damn good.