What Movie Did You Just See?

Started by wellfleet, Dec 21, 2005, 12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dookie shoot bandit

Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 28, 2016, 01:37 PM
Quote from: parkervb on Jan 27, 2016, 12:12 PM
Quote from: Mr. White on Jan 26, 2016, 08:55 PM
The Hateful Eight
I love all of Quentin Tarantino's movies (I hope he's got at least one or two more in him).
This one is quite good, but not one of his very best (any of Quentin's movies are better than the average movie out these days).
My brother ranks it in 6th place out of all of his 8 movies (Kill Bill Vol. 1 & 2 considered one movie). I might agree but may place it at 7 out of 8 (like Jackie Brown more than my brother does).

hasn't he stated before that he plans on only making 10 movies?

I had seen an interview with him that made it sound like he was only going to do a couple more movies (maybe 10 in total, like you say). I think he is aware of his film legacy and doesn't want to diminish what he's done so far with some less-than-exemplary work. I absolutely love all he has ever put out. Reservoir Dogs is my favorite movie of all time, hence, the username of "Mr. White" - Harvey Keitel's character.

Ranking Quentin movies is like ranking my morning jacket albums.
They are all great, but up for opinion on how one likes 1 over the others ...
So in my opinion:
1- Pulp Fiction
2- Reservoir Dogs
3- Kill Bill (1&2)
4- Inglorious Bastards
5- The Hateful Eight
6- Djano Unchained
7- Jackie Brown
8- Death Proof (Grindhouse)

LBSUNFLWR

I saw Room on Friday night. It was awesome. Edge of your seat at some moments, crying at other moments, incredible acting, especially by the little boy. Definitely go see this!!!

Went again to the movies Saturday and saw Brooklyn. Very good movie also. Really liked it!

For this year I'm saying Spotlight is my #1. Room #2. Me, Earl and the Dying Girl and Brooklyn tied for #3

Other tops would be The Big Short, Black Mass and The Martian was real good too.

LBSUNFLWR

Lately I think I like the two Kill Bills best.

APR

I just watched There Will Be Blood again.  That movie is amazing.  I forgot how good it is.

manonthemoon

Quote from: APR on Feb 11, 2016, 10:06 AM
I just watched There Will Be Blood again.  That movie is amazing.  I forgot how good it is.

Always hated that flick, great acting by Lewis for sure, but the plot really never did anything for me and seemed pretty simple for the praise it got.
Alive or Just Breathing

parkervb

The Martian. Very good.

Inside Out. Typical Pixar which is to say entertaining & as poignant as an animated movie can.
Don't you ever turn it off

tippitoes22

About to watch Purple Rain and cry my eyes out :cry:
RIP to the BADDEST MUTHAFUCKA to EVER pick up any instrument!!!
Them that don't know him won't like him and them that do, sometimes won't know how to take him

wheelhousetunes

Just watched The Hateful Eight and have to say I think it's his best since Pulp Fiction. That and Reservoir Dogs are the only two I think are better.

The Big Short before that and thought it was really good.

The Martian before that and thought it was entertaining, I just hate how these movies have to be "Hollywood-ized" for the dim viewer. Some really stupid dialog.

LBSUNFLWR

I watched Scarface for the first time ever last night.

APR

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Aug 29, 2016, 12:50 PM
I watched Scarface for the first time ever last night.

That's a good classic.  Did you like it?  Not my favorite gangster movie ever, but a must see.  I caught The Departed on TV a few weeks ago.....it's still amazing.

Hell or High Water is on deck for me. 

LBSUNFLWR

Yes I liked Scarface, only covered my eyes once. ;) The scene with the chainsaw.

I recently saw The Departed for the first time as well and I loved it! I think Goodfellas is my favorite gangster movie still.

Will be on the lookout for Hell or High Water. thanks.

Murph

Saw Hell or High Water the other night.  Thought it was good, not great.  Jeff Bridges is the best actor ever.  Ben Foster is amazing in it also. Definitely worth watching, but I guess I was just expecting a classic

APR

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Aug 30, 2016, 08:26 AM
Yes I liked Scarface, only covered my eyes once. ;) The scene with the chainsaw.

I recently saw The Departed for the first time as well and I loved it! I think Goodfellas is my favorite gangster movie still.

Will be on the lookout for Hell or High Water. thanks.

Agreed.... Goodfellas is my favorite movie ever (gangster or any category).

Thanks for the info Murph.  My expectations are probably too high.  Someone told me it has a No Country for Old Men feel (and I loved that movie too).

SplatSplatSplat

High Rise on Netflix. Well made, acted, etc but just left me a little cold. Lots of people seem to like it but maybe watch the trailer first. Ben Wheatley is an up and coming director, but his movies rarely make too many concessions. I'd recommend Kill List, which was on Netflix. Not sure if it still is.

Other good scifi thrillers streaming: The Invitation (Netflix) and Coherence (Amazon Prime).
You need it.  That's for sure.

LBSUNFLWR

I saw Hell or High Water in the theater last weekend. I liked it a lot. I expect it'll be nominated for best picture.

darizzzla

ANT MAN   , 6 of 10 from me  :thumbsup:

MMJ_fanatic

31 by Rob Zombie--not my favorie from him by a long shot but not trash either
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

LBSUNFLWR

I've been going through all the Best Picture nominations and others from this year.

Manchester By The Sea is definitely my #1.
Moonlight I'd rank #2.
Haven't heard much about Captain Fantastic, or maybe I just ignored it thinking it was some superhero movie...but it is AWESOME!! I loved it so much.
Last night I watched Hidden Figures and also loved it. Very moving true story. I can't believe that I never knew anything about this story until this movie come out. Also a must see!
Hacksaw Ridge was pretty great too. Extremely graphic and realistic war scenes. great story. Another true story!

LBSUNFLWR

parkervb

just watched Going Clear, the Scientology doc from 2015..

holy shit was that crazy.

Also watched Gleason too (documentary kick lately I guess) and that was the most powerful documentary I've watched since The Cove. It completed what I call the Jimmy V Trifecta: I laughed, I cried, I thought.  I cannot fathom how that was not up for Best Doc
Don't you ever turn it off