May 20, 2019, 06:35 am

News:

If you're having login problems please make sure you're using forum.mymorningjacket.net and not mymorningjacket.net


What Movie Did You Just See?

Started by wellfleet, Dec 21, 2005, 12:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSUNFLWR

We watched a very good and very sad documentary last night called Dear Zachary: A Letter to a Son About His Father. Very moving and disturbing story I don't think I will ever forget.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1152758/


LBSUNFLWR

Needed something lighthearted to follow it up. We chose Chef. Really cute movie. I like Jon Favreau. Better than you'd think it'd be if you read the description.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2883512/

Jackets N Pones

Chef is a great movie. Favreau is awesome. I miss the back and forth between him and Vince Vaughn, hopefully they work on something together soon. New Jumanji looks like a fun ride! Also gonna see Baby Driver soon.

Getting work done on our bathroom, so we are currently in a hotel with some solid 90's DVDs you can rent for free. Watched Sleepless in Seattle and A Few Good Men. GOLD. :thumbsup:
Leave the keys

LBSUNFLWR

In 1988 there was a terrible bus crash on Route 71 between Louisville and Cincinnati. The kids on the bus were from Louisville and were on their way home from an amusement park. A drunk driver in a pick up truck was going the wrong way on the highway and crashed into the front of the bus. The bus blew up into flames and 27 people were killed. 24 of them were young teenagers. It remains the worst drunk driving accident in history.

I never heard about this until I moved here and drove to Cincinnati for the first time. There is a sign on the highway showing where the crash happened.

A few years ago we heard a documentary had been made about the crash, those who were killed and those who survived and their lives since the crash. We have been looking for it for a while and it was recently put on Amazon Prime and we watched it last night.

Incredibly sad story. The documentary was excellent though. They tried to recreate what it was like on the bus in the 1-2 minutes after the crash. They interviewed many people who survived and the families of those who died, plus they told the story of the trial of the man driving the pick up truck. The bus catching fire so quickly was what really killed everyone, more so than the impact from the drunk driver, so the trial was very complicated. what also really got to me was that I was about the same age these kids were in 1988. No one should die at 13 years old.

Anyway, you should watch this. but know that it's very sad and I cried a lot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076229/?ref_=nv_sr_1


Storyline

IMPACT: AFTER THE CRASH, explores the horrific Carrollton, Kentucky bus crash of May 14, 1988, which killed 27 people (mostly children) and injured nearly 35 others, the worst drunk-driving related accident in U.S. history. The Kentucky tragedy became nationally known, not only because of the devastation it caused, but also because it gave prominence to the then-fledgling national anti-drunk driving organization, Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Our documentary takes viewers back to that fateful night including a dramatic recreation of the accident and explores how those who lost family and friends have over the years both suffered and recovered from their pain and losses The film offers a stirring exploration of what it means to try to recover your life, when in an instant, everything is turned upside down.

sillyboob

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Sep 07, 2017, 11:49 am
In 1988 there was a terrible bus crash on Route 71 between Louisville and Cincinnati. The kids on the bus were from Louisville and were on their way home from an amusement park. A drunk driver in a pick up truck was going the wrong way on the highway and crashed into the front of the bus. The bus blew up into flames and 27 people were killed. 24 of them were young teenagers. It remains the worst drunk driving accident in history.

I never heard about this until I moved here and drove to Cincinnati for the first time. There is a sign on the highway showing where the crash happened.

A few years ago we heard a documentary had been made about the crash, those who were killed and those who survived and their lives since the crash. We have been looking for it for a while and it was recently put on Amazon Prime and we watched it last night.

Incredibly sad story. The documentary was excellent though. They tried to recreate what it was like on the bus in the 1-2 minutes after the crash. They interviewed many people who survived and the families of those who died, plus they told the story of the trial of the man driving the pick up truck. The bus catching fire so quickly was what really killed everyone, more so than the impact from the drunk driver, so the trial was very complicated. what also really got to me was that I was about the same age these kids were in 1988. No one should die at 13 years old.

Anyway, you should watch this. but know that it's very sad and I cried a lot.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2076229/?ref_=nv_sr_1


Storyline

IMPACT: AFTER THE CRASH, explores the horrific Carrollton, Kentucky bus crash of May 14, 1988, which killed 27 people (mostly children) and injured nearly 35 others, the worst drunk-driving related accident in U.S. history. The Kentucky tragedy became nationally known, not only because of the devastation it caused, but also because it gave prominence to the then-fledgling national anti-drunk driving organization, Mothers Against Drunk Driving. Our documentary takes viewers back to that fateful night including a dramatic recreation of the accident and explores how those who lost family and friends have over the years both suffered and recovered from their pain and losses The film offers a stirring exploration of what it means to try to recover your life, when in an instant, everything is turned upside down.


Sounds incredibly sad, but it reminded me of the movie 'The Sweet Hereafter' with Sarah Polley and Ian Holm.  http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120255/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_33

It's a movie that I find so impressive when taking in the story, the twists & turns, the development of the characters and story.  I'm amazed that someone can so thoughtfully come up with a story, and that someone can put that story onto film in such a beautiful and convincing way.
2012: 8/3  2015: 1/31  2/1  2/3  8/14  2017: 2/4  2/5  2/7  7/7  2018: 3/2  3/3  3/5

LBSUNFLWR

^^ I saw that movie in the last few months. It was probably you who told us about it then.

Definitely check out this documentary. The stories of the survivors and seeing them today was very moving as well. They've been through so much, it was great to see them happy today despite the obstacles they've faced as a result of the accident.

APR

For music and documentary fans, I recommend HBO's current Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge.  I watched the first episode and enjoyed it thoroughly.  It's a two hour history lesson of not just the magazine, but also some big stories they covered.  I didn't know much about Hunter S. Thompson, and that guy was a real character.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: APR on Nov 08, 2017, 11:56 am
For music and documentary fans, I recommend HBO's current Rolling Stone: Stories from the Edge.  I watched the first episode and enjoyed it thoroughly.  It's a two hour history lesson of not just the magazine, but also some big stories they covered.  I didn't know much about Hunter S. Thompson, and that guy was a real character.


we saw  a minute of it last night and set the DVR to record next time it comes on. looks interesting...

MMJ_fanatic

Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

MMJ_fanatic

Blade Runner 2049 not bad, but not as adored as the original
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

johnnYYac

Quote from: MMJ_fanatic on Jan 23, 2018, 07:05 am
Blade Runner 2049 not bad, but not as adored as the original
Just watched BR2049 with the wife. Not as good as the original, but worth 3 hours and $6 to watch on demand. Gossling makes a good blade runner. Its visually stunning. Perhaps a bit overlong?
Close enough!

dallascow

The Dark Tower - not bad of a movie.

parkervb

Icarus, the doc on Russia Olympic doping scandal was really good. The lead character was extremely engrossing and it was at times extremely funny, extremely serious and extremely sad/tragic.
Don't you ever turn it off

Jackets N Pones

Guess Who on Netflix - Bernie Mac so funny
Leave the keys

Jackets N Pones

Leave the keys

MMJTX

Anytime

Murph

Annihilation was the trippiest movie I've seen in a good long while.

APR

I finally saw Get Out.  It's well worth the hype and great reviews.  It's great, creative, and eerie.

MMJ_fanatic

Cold Comes the Night--good suspense
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.