What Movie Did You Just See?

Started by wellfleet, Dec 21, 2005, 12:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

APR

David Foster: Off the Record.  It's on Netflix.  I had never heard of him before.  The first hour was interesting and pretty incredible.... he produced, wrote, arranged the most famous pop songs of the last few decades.  I figure music fans would be interested even though the pop stuff isn't their cup of tea.  He is quite a character and got extra famous for being on reality tv and his crazy personal life.

ericm

Quote from: APR on Aug 18, 2020, 12:44 pmDavid Foster: Off the Record.  It's on Netflix.  I had never heard of him before.  The first hour was interesting and pretty incredible.... he produced, wrote, arranged the most famous pop songs of the last few decades.  I figure music fans would be interested even though the pop stuff isn't their cup of tea.  He is quite a character and got extra famous for being on reality tv and his crazy personal life.

I had heard of him and knew of his successes and thought this was a pretty well done and interesting look at his career.

Thing is I don't care for the guy personally. Just because someone admits to being an asshole doesn't excuse them from being one in my book.

I also had a hard time with him being for the most part an absentee father. Yes he helicoptered in once in a while and made a nice splash but he really came off as only really caring about himself, his career, and that was and always will be his main priority. He seems to always be chasing that next high so to speak, and it's sad to me his kids came after that.

I'm in no way as successful as him but I couldn't ever imagine sacrificing time with my kids for anything. Money and fame included.

To each their own though and it was his choice, just a shame to me he seems to have missed out on so many more important things along the way and it doesn't seem to bother him all that much.  He pretty much says I'm David Foster, this is the way I am and everyone and else just has to accept  and deal with it if you're in my world.  He really  came off as an asshole to me, and admitting it doesn't make it any better.
"Where's Jim going?"

APR

Quote from: ericm on Aug 18, 2020, 03:51 pm
Quote from: APR on Aug 18, 2020, 12:44 pmDavid Foster: Off the Record.  It's on Netflix.  I had never heard of him before.  The first hour was interesting and pretty incredible.... he produced, wrote, arranged the most famous pop songs of the last few decades.  I figure music fans would be interested even though the pop stuff isn't their cup of tea.  He is quite a character and got extra famous for being on reality tv and his crazy personal life.

I had heard of him and knew of his successes and thought this was a pretty well done and interesting look at his career.

Thing is I don't care for the guy personally. Just because someone admits to being an asshole doesn't excuse them from being one in my book.

I also had a hard time with him being for the most part an absentee father. Yes he helicoptered in once in a while and made a nice splash but he really came off as only really caring about himself, his career, and that was and always will be his main priority. He seems to always be chasing that next high so to speak, and it's sad to me his kids came after that.

I'm in no way as successful as him but I couldn't ever imagine sacrificing time with my kids for anything. Money and fame included.

To each their own though and it was his choice, just a shame to me he seems to have missed out on so many more important things along the way and it doesn't seem to bother him all that much.  He pretty much says I'm David Foster, this is the way I am and everyone and else just has to accept  and deal with it if you're in my world.  He really  came off as an asshole to me, and admitting it doesn't make it any better.

I agree.  Difficult to like the guy and his out of whack priorities.  I'm sure some of his kids would have less kind things to say compared to the ones interviewed for the movie.