What Movie Did You Just See?

Started by wellfleet, Dec 21, 2005, 12:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

archiecrisanto

QuoteBrokeback Kong.  very sad gorilla love story ;)

Memoirs of a Geisha Kong was equally moving.
Werr'd.

CC

Grizzly Man - very interesting documentary about a rather strange man who loses touch with reality & goes to live with the bears in Alaska.

Seemed like everyone living in his neighbourhood lost touch with reality.
Especially that nutty coroner ;)

wellfleet

i saw thin red line and loved it. i also read the book and it's excellent. the problem with thin red line is that even at 3.5 hours, it's about half of what the director shot. on screen it seems really disjointed but that's because some of the best scenes were cut for length. so some of the great parts were whittled to a minute of cellulose... i'm still waiting for the 6-hour director's cut. anyday now!  ;)
everything sucks. really.

dragonboy

Seemed like everyone living in his neighbourhood lost touch with reality.
Especially that nutty coroner ;)

Haha - that's SO true. An absolute fruit cake who delighted in being in front of the camera!

Saw Friday Night Lights last night. Very enjoyable sports movie that is as much about family relationships/small town USA as it is about football.

Amazing songs by Explosions in the Sky! Any fans?

http://www.mymorningjacket.com/cgi-local/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=othermusic;action=display;num=1137379923
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

wordawg

the future is Ginger

EC

Mike Leigh's Naked.

Mike Leigh always really does a tremendous job, but this is something else.  There's not too much to say about it, I guess.  It's heartbreaking.  It's frustrating.  It's pretty spot on.

dragonboy

QuoteMike Leigh's Naked.

I saw that years ago. I remember it being good but pretty difficult viewing?
I think my fav Mike Leigh movies are Secrets & Lies and Life Is Sweet.

If you like Mike Leigh you've probably seen some of Ken Loach's movies?
My Name Is Joe is my fav.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

EC

I saw that years ago. I remember it being good but pretty difficult viewing?
I think my fav Mike Leigh movies are Secrets & Lies and Life Is Sweet.

If you like Mike Leigh you've probably seen some of Ken Loach's movies?
My Name Is Joe is my fav.

Yeah, it was hard to watch.  Partially because Johnny was almost an exact replica of an ex boyfriend of mine (without all of the horrendous violence).  What always gets me really good about his films is that you know they're about real people.  People live like that, and it's hard to reconcile in your head, but important to remember.

I have seen My Name is Joe.  Brutally, it had subtitles here.  Did it where you were?  I remember quite liking it.  I don't think I've seen any of his other films.

I'm sure I've seen Life is Sweet, but I can't remember it.  Did you see Nuts in May?  Hilarious.

dragonboy

My Name is Joe didn't have Subtitles. Haha
My first reaction was that's hilarious but I guess it's not. We had an English teacher from Scotland at my last school & half the other teachers found her accent difficult (the japanese staff didn't have a clue!)
I've not Nuts in May - I'll check it out.

If you like British movies give this one a try:
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/1098711-wonderland/
Ignore the mixed reviews, it's not to everyone's taste but if you like Mike Leigh & Ken Loach you should love it!

ben grimm

Saw 'Fantastic Four' last night, very good fun indeed. Jessica Alba in lycra nuff said.

'Mysterious Skin' starring the kid from 3rd rock from the sun, the blurb said it was about alien abductions and teenage troubles it was actually about child abuse and teenage rent boys. Very sad but moving story.

yieldgirl

Our Burden is Light , it's a good movie and soundtrack.

Nate Mendell is in it.
He made it to the ocean, had a smoke in a tree.
The wind rose up set him down on his knee.
A wave came crashing like a fist to the jaw.
Deliver him wings,

CC

QuoteOur Burden is Light , it's a good movie and soundtrack.

Nate Mendell is in it.

ha. bought that this morning.

just watched 'female yakuza tale', memorable to say the least.
tarantino must have seen this right before he got his idea for kill bill.

antoniostrohs

Saw "Glory Road". A pretty good movie with some of the usual sports cliches.  Very enteraining and informative film that deals with the first all black starting five basketball from Texas Western playing  for the NCAA championship against the powerful all white Kentucky Wildcats. A wonderful Cinderella story.  Fun for sports fans

wellfleet

isn't this like "remember the titans" only with differently-shaped balls?
not that i'm not a sucker for the sports cliche, but this is why "friday night lights" is so compelling as a movie and a book. it's not all happy endings, group hugs, kittens and rainbows.

speaking of which... let's open the floor here. what's the best sports movie of all time?
anyone?

whothrewthecake

Quotespeaking of which... let's open the floor here. what's the best sports movie of all time?
anyone?

i love hoosiers so much. and not gonna lie, i have to show rudy a little love.

dragonboy

i love hoosiers so much.

I was thinking the same thing before I read your post - I've gotta go with Hoosiers (called Best Shot in the UK)

Hoop Dreams is excellent too.

wellfleet

how would they even begin to pronounce hoosiers in the UK. i imagine it's QUITE amusing...  :D

dragonboy

Form91225

How about Field Of Dreams?

Or Bull Durham?

Hoop Dreams is fantastic, but do documentaries count?

whothrewthecake

QuoteWhat does it mean?  ???

if i'm not mistaken, i believe a hoosier is a person of the indiana lifestyle. aka a person from the state of indiana.