The Black Keys....Attack and Release (new video)

Started by sweatboard, Jan 28, 2008, 11:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

.Walt

QuoteWell said Sir!!! Long time no speak, how's it going Capt?  :)

good man! i haven't been in the drinking thread in awhile.  :-[ but hopefully that will change. i'm flying to seattle tomorrow, going to see a buddy. i was hoping that there would be a concert to go to, but matchbox 20 is the only one in town. you've been good?
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

Chills

QuoteBoth of these tracks are so good!!! Pre-ordered my copy today, can't wait!

Just listened to the the two tracks from the myspace.

Yes, this sounds a lot better than Magic Potion. I'm officialy excited about this one!

dragonboy

Quotegood man! i haven't been in the drinking thread in awhile.  :-[ but hopefully that will change. i'm flying to seattle tomorrow, going to see a buddy. i was hoping that there would be a concert to go to, but matchbox 20 is the only one in town. you've been good?
Things are good thanks Capt. We should hook up in the drinking thread sometime soon, knock back a couple of brews & spin a couple CDs for old times sake.

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

QuoteYes, this sounds a lot better than Magic Potion.
Pleased to learn that I'm not the only person who was underwhelmed by Magic Potion. Nothing wrong with it, it was just nothing special IMO.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

I've had this for a week or so now but only just realized that the free CD that came with the latest issue of Mojo has an exclusive track (So He Won't Break)  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

dragonboy

HMV.co.jp seem to have gotten their copies early...mine will arrive on Sat!!!  :D

dragonboy

Giving this it's first spin right now...

1) All You Ever Wanted - very cool opener, kind of old time country-&-western sounding right until the end when some very heavy organ comes crashing down on top of everything.
2) I Got Mine - this is more like the keys of old...but still different (harmonica? & weird vocals looped?) 2 for 2 so far!
3) Strange Times - we know this one from their myspace page...my 2nd fav song of the year so far (after Righteous Path) Yeah I f**king love this song!!!
4) Psychotic Girl - banjo picking! strange backing vocals again! old time piano!
5) Lies - the other track on their myspace page...love this track!
6) Remember When (side A) - drifting swamp/blues with a drum machine & lots of strange sounds.
7) Remember When (side B) - same song played very differently...this kicks so much arse!!!
8) Same Old Thing - ahhh man!!! some very nice blaxploitation style flute plays over a some very tasty guitar...this is a great track! "Just the same old thing, Just the same old thing. No matter how much love you bring...it's just the same old thing" Wish they'd been more flute throughout the song.
9) So He Won't Break - good song, some tremolo & a cool solo.
10) Oceans & Streams - this one's got my head bobbing...very soulful number, one of my favs.
11) Things Ain't Like They Used To Be - another fav track, lots of organ & some lovely guitar work...excellent closer!

Very, very nice indeed! Some may say a little short (just under 40mins) but it's all killer & no filler. Attack & release finds the Keys in a reflective, more soulful mood with a maturer & more experimental sound.
DM has done an excellent job of adding to their work, without changing it too much & his piano/organ/moog etc sounds great throughout.
No blistering guitar work...I guess I was waiting for a killer solo or 2 but that's only a small criticism. Excellent first listen, I want & need to play it again...

Chills

Cool review DB.

I was looking forward to this one, and now even more.
Flute, organ, banjo pickin'!!!

dragonboy

My pleasure Serg  :)  (I was pretty drunk when I wrote it!)

It's def a keeper & probably wouldn't have left my player over the weekend if I didn't have so many other new CDs to get through. Chores  ::)

.Walt

just got my copy. db, your review was dead on. especially about the flute  8-)
solid disc that's for sure, but a little short.  was able to listen to it all the way to my parents house, and i'll be listening it on the way back.

dragonboy

Quotejust got my copy. db, your review was dead on. especially about the flute
Remember the equation...organ + flute = hit f**king record!!!  ;)

.Walt

Quotejust got my copy. db, your review was dead on. especially about the flute
Remember the equation...organ + flute = hit f**king record!!!  ;)
;D

there was a lot of organ and keys used on the record. i just kept thinking, how are they going to pull it off live? is it time to officially add a third member?

dragonboy

Yeah good point.
I don't think The Keys have made it to Japan yet...fingers crossed with this one.

red

Walt, pick up the flute and join the band?   :D

dragonboy

QuoteWalt, pick up the flute and join the band?   :D
The Black Keys US Tour 2008 sponsored by.....

.Walt

i should, i just wanna join a band. pretty much i'll play (badly) anything, just to live out my dream. that would be my "make a wish".  

.Walt

The Black Keys US Tour 2008 sponsored by.....

now this is going to far. first k tells me to join the band. now db tells me the tour is sponsored by coors light.  

dragonboy

i should, i just wanna join a band. pretty much i'll play (badly) anything, just to live out my dream. that would be my "make a wish".  
This man made a shit load of money (& then spent it all on drugs!!!) playing the maracas!

.Walt

This man made a shit load of money (& then spent it all on drugs!!!) playing the maracas!

i think you guys want me to join a band more than myself.  ;D

btw, is the tour really sponsored by coors light?

dragonboy