Jacksonville City Nights vs. Every Other RA album

Started by Bermuda_Hitchhiker, Apr 03, 2008, 12:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BH

OK, I don't have them all, but I do have quite a few now, and they are all great, don't get me wrong.  But none of them compare to Jacksonville City Nights.  Top to bottom, just spectacular.

If you don't agree, please tell me which one you think is better and why?
If you do agree, give me a "hells yeah"  

(Yes, I'm a tad bit bored today.)

SCORE
Jacksonville City Nights      1
The Rest of R.A. Catalog    0
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

pawpaw

Well, I can't really cast a vote here, but if JCN is as good as you say it is, I'll have to pick it up. I have Heartbreaker and Cold Roses, and they both fall under the "pretty damn good, but not great" category. Ryan Adams has some GREAT songs, but neither of those two albums really blow me away as a whole.

(Back to the voting...)
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

.Walt

wow, i don't have them all, so my vote could change with time. i'd say my favorite disc would be cold roses disc 2, because of the Dead like sound to it, but as a whole its not better than JCN.

so my vote: hells yeah Jacksonville City Nights!!
Much Greater Than Science Fiction

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

BH

Well I guess so far we have a low scoring "fuut"ball match going....

SCORE
Jacksonville City Nights      2
The Rest of R.A. Catalog    1

Cold Roses is good, but not good enough.   There is something slightly wrong with the production on Cold Roses (IMO)  Again, don't get me wrong, great album.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Penny Lane

i know they're his most popular but GOLD and HEARTBREAKER are classic albums--that said, JCN is probably a 3rd favorite.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Coltrane

agreed. Heartbreaker and Gold are pobably one and two respectively. With Cold Roses and JCN right behind.......and Easy Tiger, which i just picked up, right behind them.

Heartbreaker is essential, in my opinion. "Come Pick Me Up" and "Oh My Sweet Carolina" are as perfect as perfect gets....

baba-booey.
....as mayor of Drugachusettes, I declare this pizza to be...AWESOME!!!

BH

Ouch, two quick strikes against!  

Actually Heartbreaker is one of the few I don't have so there ya go.  I'm learning here.  I must purchase this supposed challenger and see what she's got!  Bring it!

SCORE  
Jacksonville City Nights      2  
The Rest of R.A. Catalog    3  

primushead

I grew very close to Heartbreaker and still think it's one of the most awesome collection of songs ever by anyone.

But Jacksonville City Nights hit me at a time in my life where it spoke to me on every level.  It didn't come out of my CD player for about 4 months.  Simply amazing.  

I vote for JCN.

corey

Hmmm... off the top of my head, I would say that "Easy Tiger" is better, but it's been a while since I've listened to JCN from top to bottom... so I'll have to give it a listen again before I cast my vote.

On another note, I listened to my copy of "Cold Roses" on vinyl this weekend and it was a much better album than I remembered it being.

aMD

I'd put Easy Tiger and Cold Roses in front of Jacksonville City Nights.

BH

Ohhh, I thought I might get a vote from Dylan.  However, a nice shot from Triple G!  Corey, you can tie it back up later tonight.  Listen good my friend.  Listen good. ;)

SCORE  
Jacksonville City Nights      3  
The Rest of R.A. Catalog    4  

brkndwnbus

Cold Roses and Love is Hell I'd rank above Gold...Cold Roses is my favorite album. Sweet Illusions alone makes it great. Heartbreaker is excellent, too.

As of right now...this minute...(cold roses never changes though)

Cold Roses
Heartbreaker
JCN
Love is Hell
Gold
Demoltion
Easy Tiger
Rock N Roll

Jaimoe

Cold Roses is a darn good Grateful Dead record, but Jacksonville City Nights is all Ryan, and it's a minor masterpiece.

primushead

QuoteI'd put Easy Tiger and Cold Roses in front of Jacksonville City Nights.

You boggle my mind sometimes aMD :o

No WAY I put Easy Tiger in front of JCN...I put Easy Tiger in front of Gold, though, so I guess an argument could be made for both.

BH

:)

SCORE    
Jacksonville City Nights      4    
The Rest of R.A. Catalog    5

You can still tie it up Corey!  (no pressure ;))

aMD

You boggle my mind sometimes aMD :o

No WAY I put Easy Tiger in front of JCN...I put Easy Tiger in front of Gold, though, so I guess an argument could be made for both.

WHAT?! Listen again, my friend. Two, I taught myself how to grow old, goodnight rose, oh my god whatever etc, etc, etc.  That record is amazing!  I have been revisiting Jacksonville City Nights a lot recently and it's a great record.  Number three on a list of RA records is pretty good.

kyjed48

I agree with you completely.  Not to diminish JCN at all, I just prefer Easy Tiger and Cold Roses myself.
[url="//myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin"]myspace.com/mybrotherbenjamin[/url]

dragonboy

AreYouAllF**kingKidding?!! ;)

HeartbreakerHandsDownAllTheWay!
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

aMD

QuoteAreYouAllF**kingKidding?!! ;)

HeartbreakerHandsDownAllTheWay!

Get a space bar, jackass!

;)