Good Old Rock & Roll

Started by DaFunkyPrecedent, Jul 21, 2008, 06:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaFunkyPrecedent

Quoteheard of most of those...except supergrass.  What's their deal?

They burst out in the 90's from England and kick major modern power-pop ass. One of that genre's true masters. Here's All Music Guide's write-up and CD reviews: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=SUPERGRASS&sql=11:jxfqxqqgld0e~T0

BTW, if you caught VH1's Who Tribute from last last week, Supergrass' leader, Gaz Coombes, sang lead on The Foo Fighters' version of "Bargain".

Which Supergrass cd is "their best".  I listened to their myspace with their new stuff and like it a lot, but is their one you would recommend?
God damn those shaky knees.

Penny Lane

They burst out in the 90's from England and kick major modern power-pop ass. One of that genre's true masters. Here's All Music Guide's write-up and CD reviews: http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=SUPERGRASS&sql=11:jxfqxqqgld0e~T0

BTW, if you caught VH1's Who Tribute from last last week, Supergrass' leader, Gaz Coombes, sang lead on The Foo Fighters' version of "Bargain".

Which Supergrass cd is "their best".  I listened to their myspace with their new stuff and like it a lot, but is their one you would recommend?

DEFINITELY "In it for the money" or "Supergrass" (the album after In it for the money)
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

weeniebeenie

I Should Coco is my favourite Supergrass cd. Sitting Up Straight is one of my favourite songs ever.
How loud can silence get?

mjkoehler

All of them of course. Personally for me In It For the Money is one of the greatest albums of the 90's. I should Coco isn't far behind either. In order of brilliance, IMO. Damn, where's DB when we need him?

The 2 tied for 5 are their "weaker" albums but that is NOT to say they are bad as both are very very good. It's just the first 3 are that strong. Road to Rouen is amazing and I was sold after listening to Tales from Endurance. That song makes me wish I was a better guitar player.

I could go on and on about them. My only regret is having only seen them live once.  :D

1. In It For The Money
2. I Should Coco
3. Life On Other Planets
4. Road to Rouen
5. Tie Supergrass and Diamond Hoo Ha.

DaFunkyPrecedent

Going to Ameoba Records today and I'm going to buy

- New Dr. Dog (Duh!!)
- Supergrass - In it for the money or I should Coco (whatever is cheaper of course)
- Something by Whiskytown

then, I'm going to buy some beer and hang out with my dog and a pack of smokes on my back porch and get ready for the Glossary/Lucero

PS - just heard of these guys from being introduced to Glossary Lucerohttp://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=10598738
they're playing with Glossary tonight at Bottom of The Hill in S.F.  They are some Good Ol' Rock & Roll!!!!
God damn those shaky knees.

corey

Lucero is most definitely some good ol' rock and roll.

I still haven't had the pleasure of seeing them live, though.

I hope you're ready for the rock show, 'cause Glossary is gonna bring it. If you happen to talk to any of them, tell them that Corey from Lauderdale said "Sweet Hang!".

buaawwww

I just recently got into the Hold Steady myself and they are pretty excellent.

Please check out anything and everything related to THE BLACK KEYS and THE BLACK CROWES... 2 of my favorites without question.  And of course... SPRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGSSSTTTTEEEENNNNN.

coupon

logan5ive

I agree with a lot of the bands already mentioned:
-The Whigs
-The Black Crowes
-CCR
-The Band
-Supergrass ("In It For The Money" is their best album and definitely in the top 10 of the best albums of the 90s.)
MMJ Shows 2005-2022 [30]