Main Menu

Rick Danko

Started by thepennylaneNYC, Jul 11, 2008, 12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

i just ordered 2 Rick Danko cds---i'm really late in the game in getting some of his stuff, but what are people's favorites? I ordered one outtakes/odds and sods cd, especially can't wait for that.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Love Dogg

The very best one is his self-titled release that came out circa 1978.  It's full of 2-3 minute ditties that keep you moving...silly songs, a lot of them, but fun to hear.  Several special guests, too-like Clapton and everyone of the Band guests somewhere.  It includes the real sexy love song 'Sip the Wine' that is partially played in The Last Waltz.  It was out of print for a long time, but I finally found one.  Soon after, I heard they reproduced it so it shouldn't be too hard to find.

I got a couple more live shows that he released in the 90's and stuff (Up On Breeze Hill) and it's pretty good, but most of those are for die-hards like me.  The self-titled release was when he was in his prime!  The other ones are obviously 20-25 years later and he doesn't have that "pop" like he used to.  As my favorite member of The Band, I hate to say anything negative, but the truth is the truth.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Penny Lane

LD-i got 'Times like these' and 'Cryin Heart blues'  yeah i wanted to get something he recorded pretty close after the band split ---not a lot of his later stuff. he is my favorite member too---he died way too young.

DavidCrosby

....I have only heard his self titled one and wasn't really that impressed....but I really love his bass playing though......
listen to vinyl

G

Rick singing 'It makes no difference' on the Last Waltz album/dvd makes me cry. It is so beautiful.

G

Penny Lane

Cryin' Heart blues is pretty good...songs like twilight are just missing something, though...

Brainwash* is the best (live)

easy way

If you haven't seen it, check out a movie entitled 'Festival Express'. The footage of Danko and Janis is priceless. There's so much more than just that scene, but it's an absolute must see...

Tons of great footage from the bands on board the actual train which took dozens of bands across Canada in order to play multiple festivals. Artists include the Grateful Dead, Janis Joplin, The Band, Buddy Guy, etc.
"the time is with the month of winter solstice, when the change is due to come..."

bold99

most solo stuff i've heard by Danko is not very good I hate to say...most Band fans will actually agree.  He's one of my favorite musicians ever.  The Band Box set is great because it has some stripped down demo's of a lot of the songs he sings.  I was actually told by a friend who's a obsessive Band fan not to get any Danko solo stuff.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Love Dogg

Quote I was actually told by a friend who's a obsessive Band fan not to get any Danko solo stuff.

I'm a super Band fan and I say get his self-titled debut from @1978, and don't have any expectations...it's just fun to listen to.  It's definitely worth having.  

With that being said, don't get the Richard Manuel release, "Whispering Pines."  It will make you sad.  He was one of my favorite vocalists ever, and Eric Clapton called him his soulmate, but this live show makes you realize he was at his end, and there were so many technical difficulties and he repeated a couple of songs that the performance prolly never should have been released.  It makes me sad to hear it...and think about it.  If you want Richard's best stuff, there is a Band compilation called "The Moon Struck One" which only has songs by the Band that Richard did the lead singing on.  The cover is blue.  It's wonderful!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Penny Lane

i listened to the RD stuff a couple times but then went back to the band--it didn't blow me away but i felt i should at least pay tribute and buy it/listen to it. Richard Manuel--beautiful voice--tortured soul ;-( i never appreciated him until these past couple of years.