Main Menu

WILCO question

Started by ycartrob, Jun 22, 2008, 10:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

OK, enough already. Can someone please tell me what this line means?

I am an American aquarium drinker

first one to answer wins nothing but the satisfaction of knowing you changed my life.

tomEisenbraun

maybe a reference to how drunk he is at that moment in time? "I just drank a whole aquarium"?

towards the end of the song he makes reference to "you were so right when you said I been drinkin" -- I wouldn't think that'd be too far out of a guess as to what that means?
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

laylow82

Yeah i always  thought it was a silly metaphor on how he drinks hardcore.  

primushead

More than that, I've always been perplexed by

I assassin down the avenue

I mean, come on!  Assassin isn't even a verb!  Get your grammar right, Tweedy.

Killgies

Reminds me of going to some local clubs/bars in this area that sell you mixed drinks in Fish bowels. Never really understood though.
"Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?"

YouAre_GivenToFly

YHF seems to be the most cryptic of their albums. Although I do love it Wilco some of those lyrics do seem to be words for the sake of words.

If you ever get the chance to see a Wilco show, do it.
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Foxtrot76

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Tweedy wanted to invoke the feeling of someone being drunk. That's why a lot of the lyrics in that song make so sense (i.e: drunk rambling).

'take off your band-aid cuz I don't believe in touchdowns'?? what the hell is that?

even the music in the song has a sloppy drunkfeel to it. the clanging of percussion, the stop/start of the bass, etc.

I love this song.  :D

whyteand82nd

Does watching them on PBS count?
psssh What am i saying...ofcourse not
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

YouAre_GivenToFly

Does watching them on PBS count?
psssh What am i saying...ofcourse not

Haha nope, but they were good on ACL

j_rud

Could be a metaphor for American wastefulness. Look at an aquarium, its a lush environment: fish, coral, plant life, etc. All of these things make up a tiny ecosystem but all depend on the water, which is a resource they all share. When I hear this I think of the stereotypical greedy American just sucking up all the water for himself without regard for the other organisms that require it and, up until now, shared it in harmony.

As for "assassin down the avenue"...if he's doing anything "down the avenue" he's obviously moving, right? And what do you think of when you think of an assassin? Smooth, swift, fleet of foot, flowing through a crowd almost unnoticed. Gentle enough to not rouse attention but with bad intentions in his movements.

Work for it, its there.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

The Big Come Up

I always thought the song was about drinking too much and being aware that in doing so you are alienating those closest to you. The lyrics at the beginning of the song, including the "aquarium" line, seem to suggest that the speaker has been drinking and is incoherent, but every 4th line or so seems to suggest that the speaker knows exactly what he is doing, severely hurting his most important relationship, hence, "I am Trying to Break Your Heart".

whyteand82nd

Wheres a good place to start wilco-wise?
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

Crispy

QuoteWheres a good place to start wilco-wise?
I say start at the beginning:
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

AMightyCaporal

i started with A Ghost is Born, but it toook me years later to realize how unebelievable wilco actually is
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

ycartrob

Being There is the best place to start, then proceed in chronological order and try to keep up with who leaves the band and when (and why)

YouAre_GivenToFly

Just thought I'd like to brag... j_rud and I will be seeing Wilco from the 2nd row in this lovely room that seats 1200 people.

AMightyCaporal

QuoteJust thought I'd like to brag... j_rud and I will be seeing Wilco from the 2nd row in this lovely room that seats 1200 people.

thats awesome! i saw them in the first mezzanine row in Hammerstein, not nearly as good as your seats, tell j.rud to watch his back, otherwise i'll be sitting next to you in row 2
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

j_rud

QuoteJust thought I'd like to brag... j_rud and I will be seeing Wilco from the 2nd row in this lovely room that seats 1200 people.

thats awesome! i saw them in the first mezzanine row in Hammerstein, not nearly as good as your seats, tell j.rud to watch his back, otherwise i'll be sitting next to you in row 2
You'll have to pry my ticket from my cold, dead fingers ;D

Dan, that picture is amazing. I dont think it really sunk in until now...damn!
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

AMightyCaporal

You'll have to pry my ticket from my cold, dead fingers ;D

Dan, that picture is amazing. I dont think it really sunk in until now...damn!
;D.... >:( just watch yourself!

sweatboard

I think it means.....

I'm not filling my lungs properly.  I'm breathing solid, and moving, but I failed to notice that I was actually gasping for air.  
There's Still Time.........