10 Essential Alt-country Albums

Started by prefixmag, Sep 02, 2008, 10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

prefixmag

We published this list today. MMJ is of course on the list. Thought you guys might like it...

http://www.prefixmag.com/features/lists/10-essential-alt-country-albums/20596/

mjkoehler

No Neko? Glad Jacket is on there but I would have used TTF or At Dawn. They "sound" more like alt country to me then ISM does...just my opinion.

Thanks for the link. Oh and you have some great albums in that list.

ManNamedTruth

I agree, it would be nice to see Blacklisted on there.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

getinthevan

I was more surprised at the fact that I actually have 3 of those albums

It Still Moves
Being There
Hollywood Town Hall
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

Janet

Great topic.  I love MMJ but would not put them on this list.  Some of my essential alt country are :

Anything Whiskeytown
Son Volt "Traces"
Jayhawks "Hollywood Town Hall"  (ok, anything Jayhawks too)
Wilco "AM" and maybe "Being There'"

capt. scotty

QuoteGreat topic.  I love MMJ but would not put them on this list.  Some of my essential alt country are :

Anything Whiskeytown
Son Volt "Traces"
Jayhawks "Hollywood Town Hall"  (ok, anything Jayhawks too)
Wilco "AM" and maybe "Being There'"

I dont actually own Being There, probably should work on that, but Ive heard most of it

That said, Ive always though Summerteeth was their best, but I guess by that point they were a little less alt-country

If MMJ is going to be on there though, Id agree with ISM over AD
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

blueskyink

The way they justify MMJ on there is 100% correct if you call Allmans & Skynard alt country,  otherwise great list.  I haven't heard the Jayhawks but have read enough about them that I should probably look into it.

ItStillJaimoe

I'm shocked and appalled that one of the pioneering alt-country albums was not on the list: Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Session. The album helped kick-start and define a music genre and still influences today.

DavidCrosby

QuoteI'm shocked and appalled that one of the pioneering alt-country albums was not on the list: Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Session. The album helped kick-start and define a music genre and still influences today.

...very true, but Lucinda is on the list, yeah...
listen to vinyl

MMJ_fanatic

Great list--thank you for posting as I love basically all of them!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

mjkoehler

QuoteI'm shocked and appalled that one of the pioneering alt-country albums was not on the list: Cowboy Junkies The Trinity Session. The album helped kick-start and define a music genre and still influences today.
snap, good point. Complete forgot about them.

fortbethel

DavidCrosby

...thought of another one Once We Were Trees - Beachwood Sparks...
listen to vinyl