Main Menu

new Conor Oberst?

Started by thepennylaneNYC, Aug 08, 2008, 09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

just wondering if anyone has this and what they think? --some of his stuff i love, some of it i hate--i've listened to a little on itunes but can't tell...
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

BH

I just bought it Tuesday when it came out.  (Along with the new Dr. Dog.  Which is spectacular in case I haven't mentioned it. ;))  About four songs in to the new Conor, I was extremely dissapointed but I really liked a lot of the stuff starting with track five onwards.  It's only one listen so I guess the jury is still out.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

j_rud

Sorry Penny, didnt see your thread. I loved it from the first listen. What stuff of his did you like/dislike in the past? If you like Wide Awake and Cassadaga, you'll like this. It doesnt really have much in common with the older Bright Eyes stuff.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

slimkim

i am not a huge fan of conor but a local rag here in richmond had this review. i just think its funny...HI-larious!

the reviewer clearly doesn't like him...

CD | CONOR OBERST
Conor Oberst / Merge
One day, Conor Oberst's balls will drop, he'll stop spending so much money on his haircut, and he'll write music that sounds just a tad better than the hackneyed Bob Dylan-lite bullshit that he's peddling right now. Until then, it's best that we let this pompous prick stew in his own vainglorious juices, letting him wallow in his own self-importance.

slim i am

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

j_rud

Quotei am not a huge fan of conor but a local rag here in richmond had this review. i just think its funny...HI-larious!

CD | CONOR OBERST
Conor Oberst / Merge
One day, Conor Oberst's balls will drop, he'll stop spending so much money on his haircut, and he'll write music that sounds just a tad better than the hackneyed Bob Dylan-lite bullshit that he's peddling right now. Until then, it's best that we let this pompous prick stew in his own vainglorious juices, letting him wallow in his own self-importance.

slim i am

The guy shouldnt even be reviewing it. Fairly obvious he has a problem with Oberst so theres no way, regardless of what the album actually sounds like, that he would have given it a decent review.  Its sad what passes for journalism these days. I couldnt care less who or who doesnt like the music that I do, but i really dont understand the need to be such a prick about it.
Say friend, you got any more of that good sasparilla?

ChronicHunger

i think its good. favorites: Get well cards, Souled out, and Milk thistle

slimkim

Quotei am not a huge fan of conor but a local rag here in richmond had this review. i just think its funny...HI-larious!

CD | CONOR OBERST
Conor Oberst / Merge

slim i am

The guy shouldnt even be reviewing it. Fairly obvious he has a problem with Oberst so theres no way, regardless of what the album actually sounds like, that he would have given it a decent review.  Its sad what passes for journalism these days. I couldnt care less who or who doesnt like the music that I do, but i really dont understand the need to be such a prick about it.

that weekly paper can't even really be categorized under journalism. so no need to take the review seriously. i just found it humorous.

there's a pool and a pond... pond's good for you...

whyteand82nd

CD | CONOR OBERST
Conor Oberst / Merge

slim i am

What an ass
4 Fav. bands: My morning Jacket
The Shins
Modest Mouse
The Mars Volta

Penny Lane

QuoteSorry Penny, didnt see your thread. I loved it from the first listen. What stuff of his did you like/dislike in the past? If you like Wide Awake and Cassadaga, you'll like this. It doesnt really have much in common with the older Bright Eyes stuff.

i like about half of lifted or the story and fevers and mirrors (the songs where he's not talking and whining all the way thru) and i absolutely LOVED all of Digital Ash and I'm wide awake--i think he hit his stride there...Cassadega was a let down but a couple good songs. he's just not consistent enough for me apart from the black and white albums--i'll probably get it anyway--thanks for the review

bold99

that review is a riot.

the best review i've ever seen is in our local music rag here in boston.  It was one of those really bad Oasis albums a few years ago and they just had a pix of a monkey going to the bathroom on a cd.  that was the whole review.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

Penny Lane

reminds me of ....SHARK SANDWICH=SHIT SANDWICH

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quotereminds me of ....SHARK SANDWICH=SHIT SANDWICH

HAHAHA

The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Penny Lane

he was on the tonight show---jay kept mispronouncing his name conor oBERST  --funny---he was good! sometimes i forget that he's annoying (like when he's performing)

primushead

I actually really like the new album.  I've had it in my car for the last 4 or 5 days straight.  

What's wrong with "lite-Dylan" anyway?  They're good songs...it's not groundbreaking, but it's a very well written album over all.

Penny Lane

i like this album--especially MOAB and Get Well Cards---his last couple albums have made me wish i had a car because they are great road trip albums---almost as if he's starting to mellow out

TheBigChicken

Haven't heard the new album but really enjoy his old stuff....album swap anyone...broke
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry