New Metallica Single...Not Bad

Started by primushead, Sep 02, 2008, 07:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

primushead

VERY old school sounding.  I like it.  It's way better than St. Anger.  They bring out the guitar solos in force.  Anyone else heard it?

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/download/145135-video-metallica-the-day-that-never-comes

getinthevan

It gets really good once Hetfield shuts his mouth.  

Just found out that the album has done that thing that faucets sometimes do.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

YouAre_GivenToFly

Just found out that the album has done that thing that faucets sometimes do.

Get old, rusty, and disappoint you when you are in need of something refreshing?
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

getinthevan

Ha!  Yes... that sounds about right.
The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place

The DARK

Can't say I like that one very much.

However, I am a fan of Cyanide.
In another time, in another place, in another face

Kapila

Me and a friend of mine listened to the album on the way to band practice. I have to say, it's better than the last 3 albums. Not that that's saying much, but still...
[url="//www.myspace.com/opossumtrot"]www.myspace.com/opossumtrot[/url]

MarkW

QuoteMe and a friend of mine listened to the album on the way to band practice. I have to say, it's better than the last 3 albums. Not that that's saying much, but still...

Let's hope your band makes it past Metallica's disappointing 100 million album sales!  ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

The new songs are great live, and the band actually look like they're enjoying themselves.  They'd be even better if Lars kept in time, rather than getting all excited and ahead of himself...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

Crispy

But will they still shop at Armani?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

Clarkwork

2nd thread we've had about this song.  I like it.  It gets better with each listen.

Here's the vid for it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mlahvvymkxc&feature=related
If you don't know for yourself, how could you ever know for me....

capt. scotty

I was waiting for my car to get fixed today so i made my way into barnes and noble and eventually decided on sampling the album.

I thought it sounded pretty good from just hearing clips. To me and what I heard, it reminded a lot of their stuff around the Ride the Lightning and Master of Puppets years, except a little more melodic. Not as intense as the Kill Em All stuff, but more of the speed metal elements of those days than were apparent on Justice... or Black Album

Does that make sense?

Not saying its as good as RTL or MOP, but what I heard sounded better than anything since Black Album (although I only ever owned Load, Reload)

Agreed that the single sounds better the more you hear it too...I think Hetfield needs to start hitting the booze again though because his voice sounds..weak

I probably wont buy it because I know ill rarely listen to it, but maybe ill burn it off limewire  ;D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

tomEisenbraun

Good fuck, this album has something cool to it. I listened to the first 3/4 of it in my car on break at work with the lyrics book, and while Hetfield isn't the world's greatest all-time lyricist, there was something there that really caught me.

I got into this band hard in middle school and high school, and I grew up rooting myself down in that anger a lot, sort of a defense mechanism of sorts, I suppose. But I've grown up since then, and Hetfield has, too. The Unforgiven III, as much as I would have liked to think it shouldn't have been made before I listened to it, it pulled everything together there. That fight and struggle I grew up with that Hetfield grew up with--he knows what he's angry at now. And now he knows how to fight it. For the first time he's not beaten into a corner dying, he's not the old man who gets free only to die, he's not the one standing alone in his own hell of loneliness, he's figured it out. He's his own worst enemy and he's almost killed himself and now he's got to deal with it, whether or not he's forgiven for where he's been.

The whole "Forgive me/forgive me not" finally finds power in the Unforgiven trilogy. He's gotten above it. Dammit, Kirk explodes everywhere and it's the point in the album when his shredding really turns light of the situation and lyrical matter and everything becomes huge. If they wrote the album for this song, then it's perfect and this is what needed to be done. This band is far from done, and I'm excited about that. They've gotten re-energized and pushed again and they're doing what they do best (except Lars--I could seriously have Metallica without him and be so happy).

Badass, guys. I had such a shit-eating grin on the first time listening to this album--we find that Creeping Death feeling through the first half of the album, and then it pulls in the feeling they started toying with in St. Anger, but in the best way (don't kill me, but I really seriously don't hate that album...). The way the songs grow and morph is great, and while they aren't the forerunners of thrash anymore, they have given the world reason to continue to pay them respect as the Godfathers of the genre.

Bad. Ass.
The river is moving. The blackbird must be flying.

MarkW

QuoteGood fuck, this album has something cool to it. I listened to the first 3/4 of it in my car on break at work with the lyrics book, and while Hetfield isn't the world's greatest all-time lyricist, there was something there that really caught me.

I got into this band hard in middle school and high school, and I grew up rooting myself down in that anger a lot, sort of a defense mechanism of sorts, I suppose. But I've grown up since then, and Hetfield has, too. The Unforgiven III, as much as I would have liked to think it shouldn't have been made before I listened to it, it pulled everything together there. That fight and struggle I grew up with that Hetfield grew up with--he knows what he's angry at now. And now he knows how to fight it. For the first time he's not beaten into a corner dying, he's not the old man who gets free only to die, he's not the one standing alone in his own hell of loneliness, he's figured it out. He's his own worst enemy and he's almost killed himself and now he's got to deal with it, whether or not he's forgiven for where he's been.

The whole "Forgive me/forgive me not" finally finds power in the Unforgiven trilogy. He's gotten above it. Dammit, Kirk explodes everywhere and it's the point in the album when his shredding really turns light of the situation and lyrical matter and everything becomes huge. If they wrote the album for this song, then it's perfect and this is what needed to be done. This band is far from done, and I'm excited about that. They've gotten re-energized and pushed again and they're doing what they do best (except Lars--I could seriously have Metallica without him and be so happy).

Badass, guys. I had such a shit-eating grin on the first time listening to this album--we find that Creeping Death feeling through the first half of the album, and then it pulls in the feeling they started toying with in St. Anger, but in the best way (don't kill me, but I really seriously don't hate that album...). The way the songs grow and morph is great, and while they aren't the forerunners of thrash anymore, they have given the world reason to continue to pay them respect as the Godfathers of the genre.

Bad. Ass.

What he said.  Yeah!

Seriously, Tom, I love reading your posts.  I always feel cleverer at the end than I did at the beginning...
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side