so i was listening to teenage fanclub

Started by mcd995, Sep 13, 2008, 03:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

no, you are

i completely forgot about these guys. if you get a chance go pick up bandwagonesque

MarkW

You're right, no, you are.  Grand Prix is not too shoddy, either.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

dragonboy

Lot's of love for the fannies here  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MarkW

QuoteLot's of love for the fannies here  :)

Yes, db.  We're real fanny men*, aren't we?

[size=8]*Puerile British humour alert.[/size]
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjkoehler

Puerile humor is ok. More Please.

If one wanted to check out these guys because sadly one has never listened to them, where would one start. Hypothetically speaking of course.

tenn

QuotePuerile humor is ok. More Please.

If one wanted to check out these guys because sadly one has never listened to them, where would one start. Hypothetically speaking of course.
Well if one hadn't replaced their CD's from the tape days one would start with Songs from Northern Britain.

dragonboy

You can't go wrong with any of their first 5 albums; Catholic Education, Bandwagonesque, 13, Grand Prix & Northern Britain.

Catholic Education my not be the best place to start but Everything Flows is one of my fav songs of all time:
http://www.myspace.com/theteenagefanclub

I guess they never made in the US? Amazon.com marketplace sellers have their early albums for silly money...

Four Thousand Seven Hundred and Sixty-Six Seconds: A Short Cut to Teenage Fanclub is a good best of.

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

mjkoehler

Thanks

I don't think they were big over here, at least not that I remember. But other then Verve/Oasis/Blur, not many from that era where...Sadly.

dragonboy

QuoteI don't think they were big over here, at least not that I remember. But other then Verve/Oasis/Blur, not many from that era where...Sadly.
& that's what makes you & Pennylane so special Mike  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I swear the stork was knackered that day & dropped you 2 off on the wrong side of the pond  ;)

mjkoehler

QuoteI don't think they were big over here, at least not that I remember. But other then Verve/Oasis/Blur, not many from that era where...Sadly.
& that's what makes you & Pennylane so special Mike  [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I swear the stork was knackered that day & dropped you 2 off on the wrong side of the pond  ;)
Tell me about it! My head (and heart) are in England some days. I blame my mum's side of the family for that.  ::)

MarkW

QuoteIf one wanted to check out these guys because sadly one has never listened to them, where would one start. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Can't go wrong with Bandwagonesque.  Or Grand Prix.  You should look for them in the same rack as Glasvegas...

dragonboy

QuoteIf one wanted to check out these guys because sadly one has never listened to them, where would one start. Hypothetically speaking of course.

Can't go wrong with Bandwagonesque.  Or Grand Prix.
From The Guardian's 1000 Albums To Hear Before You Die:

Teenage Fanclub
Grand Prix (1995)

Grand Prix was the most satisfying refinement of that curious musical strand: Scottish indie kids playing their take on the Byrds and Neil Young. Sad, then, that it was released in the summer of English musical nationalism, when its many glories were obscured by the heat-haze ofBritpop.

mjkoehler

OK, the closer on Bandwagonesque, Is This Music? is gorgeous slice of instrumental guitar pop heaven.