Talkin' Bout Neil Young.....

Started by searchinbig, Sep 12, 2008, 12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Murph

Quote from: oistheone on Mar 11, 2014, 03:58 PM
Just spent the last 20 minutes watching the infomercials on that Kickstarter page. As an appreciator of super-high-quality-sound and also a hardcore Neil fan, this device interests me greatly. However, I just don't know if I can justify $400. I'm sure the quality is fantastic, but I have fantastic quality in my home setup already through my records and Blu-Ray and whatnot. And do I really NEED uber-high quality while I'm running around? I guess it would be nice to have a device on which I could play all my FLACs. But I'm worried that this whole thing is a scam by Warner to get suckers to pay $20+ for albums they already have.

I'm torn.

I feel you on the $400, but thats essentially the price of an iPod.  As far as it being some sort of scam, I dont think Neil would put years of blood, sweat and hardwork into developing this thing if it were anything other than to advance the quality of music people listen to. So while I wont be going out and getting one anytime soon, only because I'm broke as fuck, I'd love to hear some user reviews.

walterfredo

I know some folks on this forum went to Neil's show at Carnegie Hall, they just added more signed posters to the kickerstarter linked above, $100 donation.  I'm assuming it's signed by Neil Young, but the description is a little vague, it says signed Neil Young poster.  I assume it means signed BY Neil, but could also mean signed by the artist (although looks to be a Hatch Show print, so artist signed wouldn't make sense). 

Mr. White

Here is an interview with Neil just before the show up in Toronto to bring awareness to how the oil tar sands in Canada are affecting the native peoples there.

http://youtu.be/f9Xg9k86ffI
Kentuckians For The Commonwealth (KFTC) Member Since 2011

walterfredo

was lucky to attend this last week.  Truly amazing.

Dolby Theatre, Los Angeles, April 1, 2014:

1. From Hank To Hendrix
2. On The Way Home
3. Only Love Can Break Your Heart
4. Love In Mind
5. Philadelphia
6. Mellow My Mind
7. Reason to Believe
8. Someday
9. Changes
10. Harvest
11. Old Man
---
12. Goin' Back
13. A Man Needs A Maid
14. Ohio
15. Southern Man
16. Mr. Soul
17. If You Could Read My Mind
18. Harvest Moon
19. Flying On The Ground Is Wrong
20. After The Gold Rush
21. Heart Of Gold
---
22. Thrasher

oistheone

Good lord, what a setlist. "Thrasher"!! "Philadelphia"?!?! Are you kidding me?! How heartbreaking was the "Philadelphia" performance on a scale of getting choked up to crying uncontrollably? What a religious experience that must have been. I wouldn't trade the show I saw at Massey a few months ago for anything, but goddamn, this setlist has all the gems that I was hoping to finally see but were for some reason cut -- "Flying On The Ground Is Wrong", "Goin' Back" and my ultimate white whale "Harvest Moon", which I somehow haven't heard live despite seeing Neil a dozen times.

walterfredo

Thrasher has long been one of, if not the, favorite Neil song of mine.  Absolutely my highlight of the night.  I later read that when he played it two nights prior it was the first time he had played it in 36 years!  I had no idea. 

Philadelphia was definitely beautiful too.  Amazing show. 

oistheone

A Letter Home, the covers album produced with Jack White is finally out! Only for sale at Third Man at the moment. Wasn't even announced! Guess I shouldn't have expected anything else from Neil and Jack. Can't wait to listen to this, the tracklist is a doozy! The covers Neil has been performing on tour sound incredible. Audio quality be damned, this is going to be a good record.

ellisintransit

I picked the covers album up Saturday at Third Man.  They didn't even have them out in the bins.  I noticed they put them up for sale on their website Friday evening (sold out there now) so I asked the cashier on RSD and they had a box of them behind the counter.  The sound quality makes this even better.  It has a very timeless quality to it, like it could have been recorded in the 1940's and discovered in a box of reels in a basement somewhere.  The first track on each side is a "letter home" where he's talking to "momma" and they're very cute and actually kind of moving.  The covers were all great.  Girl From the North Country and On the Road Again were awesome.  The packaging is great too of course.  Cardboard outer sleeve, and lyrics and notes on the inside.  I've heard other songs from the TMR recording booth, and they were very rough (both my own recording and the Willie Nelson one that came out in the Vault package), but they clearly did some work with these to make it sound okay while still sounding like the ancient technology it is.  Highly recommended!   :thumbsup:

oistheone

Thanks for the review! I think yours may be the first review anywhere actually! It is now out of stock from Third Man but I'm thankful I ordered it immediately. Hope to receive this 'letter' by the end of the week! Sounds like a hell of a record!

Mr. White

Record (vinyl) stores received fresh copies of A Letter Home today! I had checked with Better Days Records in Louisville last week to see if they would be getting any. They got some in today, and I picked up my reserved copy right after work. I'm glad I went ahead and got one now, instead of getting the deluxe box set next month. (I've been spending too much money on music these days, so I won't be getting the more expensive version.)

oistheone

I LOVE A Letter Home! Listened to it for the first time last night and I'm blown away! This is like some sort of lost relic from another time. Neil sounds like he could be 20! The sound quality doesn't bother me one bit. Still can't believe Neil Young and Jack White recorded together. The Everly Brothers cover sounded fantastic! Loved the "letters" to his mother and the post-song banter too. Hearing Neil and Jack laugh after a song made me smile like the giddy kid I am. "That's a funky one!"

There's something very personal about this record. It's very warm and inviting. Some of Neil's work over the last decade seems a bit forced -- and I say that as a big fan -- but this album feels like a complete artistic expression. I love it!

Mr. White

GO4IT

Thanks for posting that beautiful rendition of "Needle of Death", Mr. White.
Hard to describe the emotions it evokes in those touched by this.

Mr. White

Mr. White

Neil and Jack White will be on The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon tonight (May 12, 2014). This Jam Base article tells how they will be bringing along the 1940's recording booth used at Third Man Records to record tonight's performance. This should be pretty cool!

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/121628/Televised-Tune-Neil-Young-On-The-Tonight-Show

Mr. White

I saw this on the Interweb yesterday and hadn't seen it mentioned here yet.

This is from The Rolling Stone magazine online.

"Neil Young, Crazy Horse Bassist Billy Talbot Suffers Mild Stroke
Musician will be forced to miss group's upcoming European tour

By Andy Greene
June 30, 2014 11:05 AM ET
Neil Young and Crazy Horse bassist Billy Talbot has suffered a mild stroke and will not be able to perform with the band on their upcoming European tour. "Talbot's doctors expect him to make a full recovery," the group said in a statement. "They have advised Talbot to sit this tour out and recover his strength." Neil Young's longtime bassist Rick Rosas will play in his place."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/neil-young-crazy-horse-bassist-billy-talbot-suffers-mild-stroke-20140630#ixzz36Bg9HdeH
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

oistheone

That's awful news about Billy, but it's great to hear that he's expected to make a full recovery. When I first saw this news, I thought for sure the tour would be canceled and that this whole Crazy Horse reunion is cursed! First a broken hand, now a stroke? Very interesting to see that they will go forward without Billy -- yet they wouldn't without Poncho. These shows are shaping up to be pretty damn unique with Rick Rosas on bass and also two back-up harmony singers. Very interested to see what these setlists look like!

walterfredo

Neil and Pegi apparently getting divorced. Bummer.

pattilovesmmj

Just read that myself.  They were married 36 years - sad  :cry:

Crispy

This is really going to change the way I feel when I hear Harvest Moon from now on.  :undecided:
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."