Manic Street Preachers

Started by ali, Feb 22, 2006, 07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ali

Not sure how wide the love spreads for this band, but they are one i have loved for nearly 10 years. like mmj to a certain extent they're not hugely well known (outside of the uk i think) but have a very loyal fanbase....

my first experience of the manics was everything must go, which was definitely a bit of a departure for the band from their previous albums, but they're one of the few bands that i've come across that have really grown, changed & matured while, i think, still keeping the core value of their spirit and politics.

haven't seen them live (i don't think they've made it out here since about 2000 or 2001, which is a shame!)

definitely one of the most interesting bands i've ever heard

watch out for the angry welshmen hiding among the bracken... :)
love a song for the way it makes you feel

dragonboy

I like the Manics.
I saw them live supporting a band called The Throbs (very bad GnR wanabes) at the Marque in London back in 91 before their debut came out.
They were a shambles but they caught my attention & I bought Generation Terrorists when it was released.
I like how their sound has matured over the years too. Everything Must Go & This Is My Truth...are good albums.
I don't have the Holy Bible, I hear that's very good too.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ali

yeah i don't have the holy bible either - it never seems to be there when i get to the record store...

wow, they've come along way since '91.. that's pretty cool that you saw them so early on. really only what, 3 years into their career

dragonboy

AMG says they formed in 91? Not sure...

Yer it was a fun show.
I'd read about them in NME where they were being hyped as 'the next big thing'
Unfortunately they didn't sit well with the rest of the audience who were waiting to see the main act so the Manics just kind of pissed about & tried to make everyone even more angry.

Richie James is still something of a cult hero in the UK. The fact that he was never found or confirmed dead adds to the mystery I guess. Shame...

EDIT: You're right Ali, summer of '88  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ali

i thought it was 89, being the 10th anniversary of the signing of the sex pistols, but i could be wrong. somewhere around there.... i was only 11 at the time, so was probably into something crap  ;)

it is a shame about richie - the fact that they only found his car means there'll always be someone out there claiming they saw him last week, alive and well... personally i think they should just let him go

ratsprayer

richie was defnitely a tortured soul.  ive always kinda thought the rest of the bad knew what happend, and out of respect for him, theyve not said anything.  its just another one of my crazy conspiracy theories, but i think they were all tight enough to keep things a secret.  wherever he is, im sure hes more at peace.  

the holy bible is dark as fuck (the album & the book  :P)  , probably one of the darkest albums of the 90s.  it definitely keeps with the earlier sound of the manics.  id recommend getting the newer double cd version which has the US & UK mixes on it, very worthwhile listening with a few live tracks added as well.

dragonboy

Anybody have/heard the new album? Good reviews in the UK press.
Catchy! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BnEDxI1-SQ

ali

still waiting for the aus release.... as soon as it hits the stores i'll be getting it....

anyone heard the nicky wire or james dean bradfield solo albums??

dragonboy

Quoteanyone heard the nicky wire or james dean bradfield solo albums??
I read average reviews for both (2s & 3s out of five) so didn't take much interest.

mjkoehler

OK, so I have been into these guys a lot latley. I forgot I had them actually. Listened to Generation Terrorists on the way home from softball. Add these guys to the list of artists I wish I could have seen at least once. Sadly, I do not picture them doing a show in St Louis.  :(

MarkW

Buuuuuump

Anyone in London this December?  Surely a must-see...

http://www.nme.com/news/manic-street-preachers/58919

Manic Street Preachers have announced a huge one-off show at London's O2 Arena for later this year.

The Welsh trio will headline the 20,000 capacity venue on December 17 and have told NME that they will be playing each one of the 38 singles which make up their new compilation 'National Treasures' as part of the live set.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjk73

Again, just another reason why I think I'm living in the wrong place.

MarkW

Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 31, 2011, 12:37 PM

I'll let you know if I end up with a spare ticket.   ;)
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

mjk73

Quote from: MarkW on Aug 31, 2011, 12:43 PM

Alright. Now to somehow stow away on a cargo ship bound for England.

Penny Lane

Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 31, 2011, 12:46 PM

Alright. No to somehow stow away on a cargo ship bound for England.

so they never found the guy who went missing?
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

mjk73

Quote from: Penny Lane on Aug 31, 2011, 01:35 PM
Quote from: mjk73 on Aug 31, 2011, 12:46 PM

Alright. Now to somehow stow away on a cargo ship bound for England.

so they never found the guy who went missing?
Nope. He was declared legally dead right before Journal for Plague Lovers hit.

dragonboy

Sparkle & I got ours! Up in the nosebleeds (dese are lean times folks) but it's all good!!

MarkW

Bollocks!  I knew there was something I forgot to do on Friday morning...

mjk73

Well convince them to come to St Louis as I'm not sure they've ever been here and you are more then welcome to stay here Mark.