The Felice Brothers

Started by murph468, Oct 27, 2008, 08:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaqueta sucia

I love the new Poughkeepsie Princess EP.  I did not think the wonder of loving Celebration, Florida could get better then I heard this.  I really dig Loser Takes All but all so far(3) are fitting nicely together in this EP.  I can see for sure how this collection of songs would not fit with the direction of CF.  This collection reminds me more of their older stuff which is good to see they have not fully abandoned with their recent style change.

Penny Lane

Quote from: chaqueta sucia on Sep 08, 2011, 11:53 AM
I love the new Poughkeepsie Princess EP.  I did not think the wonder of loving Celebration, Florida could get better then I heard this.  I really dig Loser Takes All but all so far(3) are fitting nicely together in this EP.  I can see for sure how this collection of songs would not fit with the direction of CF.  This collection reminds me more of their older stuff which is good to see they have not fully abandoned with their recent style change.

thanks for reminding me, i need to grab their new song!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

e_wind

Just getting into this band. Damn the s/t is a great record!!
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

mahg33ta

Quote from: e_wind on Nov 08, 2011, 01:36 PM

agreed- it's my fav for sure

Penny Lane

Quote from: mahg33ta on Nov 08, 2011, 01:56 PM

sorry, s/t?

capt. scotty

Hard to say. A handful of songs on S/T that are some of my favorites (Helen Fry, Frankie's Gun, Ruby Mae, Radio Song, Whiskey in my Whiskey) pre-date that album and all were on Adventures of the Felice Brothers Vol. 1. With that in mind, and there's a few songs on S/T im not a big fan of while I like everything on Adventures, I think Id go with Adventures Vol. 1 as my favorite album.

...need to revisit Celebration Florida. It was growing on me but I havent listened to it for like 5 months. It could be one of those albums that sneaks into my 10 favorites of the year because the songs I didnt like at first (Fire at the Pageant, Honda Civic, Oliver Stone) I was coming around on.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 08, 2011, 02:14 PM

sorry, s/t?

self titled

Felice Brothers - Felice Brothers (2008)
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Penny Lane

Doh....Self Titled is my favorite, too.
All their albums are top notch and they are one of my favorite live bands...wish Simone would come back but I loved the D&TK album..

mahg33ta

Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 08, 2011, 02:16 PM

Hard to say. A handful of songs on S/T that are some of my favorites (Helen Fry, Frankie's Gun, Ruby Mae, Radio Song, Whiskey in my Whiskey) pre-date that album and all were on Adventures of the Felice Brothers Vol. 1. With that in mind, and there's a few songs on S/T im not a big fan of while I like everything on Adventures, I think Id go with Adventures Vol. 1 as my favorite album.

...need to revisit Celebration Florida. It was growing on me but I havent listened to it for like 5 months. It could be one of those albums that sneaks into my 10 favorites of the year because the songs I didnt like at first (Fire at the Pageant, Honda Civic, Oliver Stone) I was coming around on.

I only know the last 3 albums (recent convert) but many of your favorites on s/t are mine too so sounds like I would like Adventures of Felice Bros.  I also wlike Wonderful Life, Dont Wake Scarecrow, and Murder By Mistletoe, so that's most of the album!

I really am looking forward to seeing these guys for the first time.

Penny, Deer Tick posted on facebook something like "album currently playing in car:  Felice Bros s/t" and people were asking "what's s/t?" so you weren't the only d'oh.

capt. scotty

Quote from: mahg33ta on Nov 08, 2011, 04:52 PM
Penny, Deer Tick posted on facebook something like "album currently playing in car:  Felice Bros s/t" and people were asking "what's s/t?" so you weren't the only d'oh.

I blame this on the itunes-inazation on singles and decreasing appreciation for entire albums as to why less people understand the s/t these days.

Penny Lane

Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 08, 2011, 06:41 PM

I blame this on the itunes-inazation on singles and decreasing appreciation for entire albums as to why less people understand the s/t these days.

Nah, I just don't think most people are used to seeing that acronym...(I'm still very much an album person)  :)

capt. scotty

Quote from: Penny Lane on Nov 08, 2011, 08:51 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Nov 08, 2011, 06:41 PM

Nah, I just don't think most people are used to seeing that acronym...(I'm still very much an album person)  :)

Oh, I wasnt even directing that at you, let alone calling you out. I was pretty surprised you didnt know what that meant though...I feel like "s/t" is thrown around quite often here on the forum.

In general though, I think more focus on songs than albums now that you dont need to purchase whole albums has somewhat lead to all these whippersnappers on facebook, tweeter, etc not now what s/t means

mahg33ta

some more tour dates announced....  Fri 4/20 Met Pawtucket - ka ching!

Sidus

I saw the The Felice Brothers last week for the first time. I had my doubts if I had to go to the show, because I don't like all their studio work (don't know it very well though). But boy, what was I glad I went :D. Their live show is very very very different from their studio albums imo. The albums I know contain mostly pretty quiet songs, with a couple of louder ones. But live, these songs are all very loud :). I really enjoyed the show, I was really surprised. In fact, this band might the biggest suprise I've ever had with music shows, I had not expected this :o. Band had much fun on stage. Thank you all for stimulating me to catch their show ;)

Craig Finn (from The Hold Steady) opened with his band. I really liked the instrumental parts of the songs, there were some fantastic things and the band was very tight. I'm not the biggest fan of Craig's "singing" or telling style however, it bores me after a couple of songs because it's all very similar (same with Hold Steady). Some great songs however :).

[EDIT] Lol I just found out the main singer and the accordeon player are brothers, haha even more surprises for me. I knew there were brothers in the band (Felice Brothers, duh) but I thought the main singer and bass player were brothers, because the look like eachother. The singer and accordeon player didn't look a tiny bit like eachother haha

Murph

Can't believe this thread is 9 years old...

They've now released 3 songs from their forthcoming album and each is better than the last. This is already in the running for great 2021 albums.  God, I love this band.

Cameron

James is on the new episode of Dirt from the road podcast. Good talk. Need an Austin date!