Main Menu

Coachella

Started by ALady, Jan 30, 2009, 02:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ALady

Thoughts on the lineup?

FRIDAY, APRIL 17: Paul McCartney, Morrissey, Franz Ferdinand, Leonard Cohen, Conor Oberst and the Mystic Valley Band, Beirut, The Black Keys, Girl Talk, Silversun Pickups, The Ting Tings, The Crystal Method, Ghostland Observatory, Crystal Castles, The Airborne Toxic Event, We Are Scientists, N.A.S.A., Patton & Rahzel, M. Ward, The Presets, The Hold Steady, A Place to Bury Strangers, Felix da Housecat, Buraka Som Sistema, Ryan Bingham, Bajofondo, Peanut Butter Wolf, Noah & the Whale, White Lies, The Bug, Alberta Cross, Los Campesinos!, Craze & Klever, Molotov, Switch, Gui Boratto, Steve Aoki, The Aggrolites, People Under the Stairs, The Courteeners, Cage the Elephant, Dear and the Headlights.

SATURDAY, APRIL 18: The Killers, Amy Winehouse, Thievery Corporation, TV on the Radio, Band of Horses, Fleet Foxes, MSTRKRFT, Michael Franti & Spearhead, Atmosphere, Mastodon, TRAV$DJ-AM, Henry Rollins, Crookers, Turbonegro, Hercules and Love Affair, Superchunk, Glasvegas, Dr. Dog, Drive-By Truckers, Booker T & the DBT's, Amanda Palmer, The Bloody Beetroots, Surkin, Para One (Live), Calexico, Liars, Bob Mould Band, Zane Lowe, Electric Touch, Blitzen Trapper, James Morrison, Drop the Lime, Glass Candy, Thenewno2, Gang Gang Dance, Billy Talent, Ida Maria, Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti, Zizek, Cloud Cult, Tinariwen.

SUNDAY, APRIL 19: The Cure, My Bloody Valentine, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Throbbing Gristle, Lupe Fiasco, Paul Weller, Peter Bjorn and John, X, Antony & the Johnsons, Roni Size, Public Enemy, Jenny Lewis, Groove Armada, Paolo Nutini, Christopher Lawrence, Lykke Li, The Kills, Okkervil River, M.A.N.D.Y., Clipse, Sebastien Tellier, Fucked Up, Perry Farrell, The Horrors, Late of the Pier, K'naan, Junior Boys, Brian Jonestown Massacre, Supermayer, No Age, Vivian Girls, Shepard Fairey, Themselves, Gaslight Anthem, The Knux, Mexican Institute of Sound, The Night Marchers, Marshall Barnes.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

BH

Headliners don't do much for me but their is TONS of great stuff on that list!

Conor Oberst
The Black Keys
M. Ward
The Hold Steady
Thievery Corp.
TV on the Radio
BOH
Fleet Foxes
Dr. Dog
DBT
Calexico
Antony
Jenny Lewis
Okkervil River
Perry Ferrell

Also lots of stuff on there I've been wanting to check out but havn't yet.  Plus California weather.  To bad it's never going to happen for me.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

red

Leonard Cohen and Morrissey on the same night.  Damn.

Jaimoe

There's a number of really good bands playing on each night, but some of the big names I utterly hate or at best, respectfully dislike.

Penny Lane

yeah in  spite of the headliners, there are a ton of great bands. i hope okkervil river, blitzen trapper and Jenny lewis play bonnaroo.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ALady

Quoteyeah in  spite of the headliners, there are a ton of great bands. i hope okkervil river, blitzen trapper and Jenny lewis play bonnaroo.

What she said.

I wouldn't travel for this one, but if I lived nearby I'd definitely go.

I hope Roo has some more surprises than this lineup does.  So many of those bands have been on the festival circuit for a while now.  Yawn.

Jaimoe

Quoteyeah in  spite of the headliners, there are a ton of great bands. i hope okkervil river, blitzen trapper and Jenny lewis play bonnaroo.

You forgot to mention The Killers    ;D

Penny Lane

You forgot to mention The Killers    ;D

It sickens me to see them headlining and to read about a ton of better (REAL) bands underneath their name. THEY ARE SO GHAY.  Brandon Flowers is such a tool. Their songs are (soulless like ALady said) garbage and they are a travesty to the festival circuit, which is for real musicians! they need to stick to playing the PNC or whatev. Die Sam's Town-go back to vegas, maybe you can all get your valet jobs back.

Penny Lane

WAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT---PAUL WELLER!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!

oh wow.....i would LOVE It if he played bonnaroo but i doubt it....i've always wanted to see him!

el_chode

I saw Turbonegro open for Queens of the Stone Age once many years ago. I was in a band at the time, and they were the first band to ever make me want to give up the dream and say "rock and roll ain't worth it"

MMJ changed that. But still...it was embarrassing
I'm surrounded by assholes

Jaimoe

At least The Killers aren't playing on the same day as Franz Ferdinand. If that were the case, the sky would rain down with locusts.

Penny Lane

QuoteAt least The Killers aren't playing on the same day as Franz Ferdinand. If that were the case, the sky would rain down with locusts.

AGREED. I never got them either.

ALady

QuoteAt least The Killers aren't playing on the same day as Franz Ferdinand. If that were the case, the sky would rain down with locusts.

Hahahaha!  It's funny 'cause it's true.

Jaimoe

I get really turned off by Franz Ferdinand's jokey and obnoxious songs and personna, plus the jokes aren't funny.

goose

IF anyone likes Midwest hip-hop, Atmoshpere is dark, and really good live.  Seen him a couple times in Louisville.  He is pretty ugly, but the ladies love him.
Hooked on four like one, two, three

BH

QuoteI get really turned off by Franz Ferdinand's jokey and obnoxious songs and personna, plus the jokes aren't funny.

I've disliked them ever since there first single came out and was an obvious rip off of Modest Mouse.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Sassbox

QuoteWAITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT---PAUL WELLER!!! ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!

oh wow.....i would LOVE It if he played bonnaroo but i doubt it....i've always wanted to see him!

Ditto.  I think this just made me mad at a friend again...he invited me to see him, then uninvited me when his girlfriend decided to go at the last minute.  She ended up leaving the show after about an hour, too.  Damn.
God sure baked a lot of fruitcake, baby.

mjkoehler

Did I see My Bloody Valentine on that list. Well f me. They would be the perfect late night one to see. minimal lights, heavy buzz. Some great bands on the bill.

ManNamedTruth

Paul McCartney is the only headliner I would like to see. I don't like The Killers (Franz Ferdinand too) either but I don't get why so many people here hate them. Enough great bands spread throughout for a good time.
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

Ghosts_on_TV

QuotePaul McCartney is the only headliner I would like to see. I don't like The Killers (Franz Ferdinand too) either but I don't get why so many people here hate them. Enough great bands spread throughout for a good time.

The Cure put on a great show, especially now that Porl Thompson is back on guitar.
Some girls mothers are bigger than others girls mothers...