Main Menu

The Hold Steady

Started by red, Sep 17, 2006, 12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

"Imagine that Bruce Springsteen grew up in Minneapolis instead of New Jersey. Imagine he listened to '70s rockers like Thin Lizzy. Imagine he read the drug-fuelled ravings of William S. Burroughs. Instead of The Boss, he would have grown up to be Craig Finn. Instead of The E Street Band, he would have formed The Hold Steady."

They've got two albums under their belt (Almost Killed Me and Seperation Sunday) with Boys and Girls in America due October 3.  I heard it tonight, and it is an absolute masterpiece.    

So, anyone else a fan?

www.myspace.com/theholdsteady

ratsprayer

fuck yeah!  one of my current favourite bands.  i'm really looking forward to the new one, just found it last night, but i only have 2 songs so far.  good to see some other fans, i don't think many around here know them.  

red

Quotefuck yeah!  one of my current favourite bands.  i'm really looking forward to the new one, just found it last night, but i only have 2 songs so far.  good to see some other fans, i don't think many around here know them.  

what do you think of the new one?

Personally, I'm more in love with this band than I've ever been.

dragonboy

Made me think of The Bottle Rockets & Rocket From The Crypt (maybe that was just the suits?)
Love the tracks on myspace, cheers for the heads up  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

primushead

"Hoodrat Friend" has entered my vocabulary on the regular because of separation sunday.

Oh, and is there a such thing as Penetration Park?

primushead

I noticed Pitchfork gave "girls and boys" a 9.4.  

I want to get the album, but does anyone else have an opinion on it?  I don't really trust Pitchfork's judgement these days.

red

QuoteI want to get the album, but does anyone else have an opinion on it?  I don't really trust Pitchfork's judgement these days.
Honestly, I love everything about it, and if you like Almost Killed Me or Seperation Sunday I'm sure you'll enjoy it too.

It's got less of an 'album feel' than SS, most likely because it's not so much of a story record.  That being said, it's still the Hold Steady - great riffs, killer piano (much more than the other albums) and extremely clever lyrics.

ratsprayer

i think the newest one is their most varied to date, but i'm still not sure what i think of it, and i've given it 4 or 5 listens.  i really dig some of the songs, but i don't think the lyrics are as strong as any of craig's other work.  this is probably going to be my least favourite hold steady record, but considering they're one of my favourite bands, they're still ahead of most everyone else out there.

i read that penetration park is an actual place, but that's just the name craig has given it.  

red

I just can't wrap my head around whether I like Boys and Girls or Seperation Sunday better.  I think I have my mind made up, and then I remember some tiny detail and my opinion is null.  Tie goes to the runner I guess, so that makes it SS.

Less than a month until I see them!

Zeppelinster

red

You can download 3 outtakes from Boys and Girls here...http://webvomit.gotdetroit.com/

I'll be sure to let you all know when I find "For Boston."

FarmerYoda

I'VE BEEN TRYING TO REMEMBER WHERE I HEARD THIS! It's my facorite teachers best friend's band! From Minnesota... YEAH...
Unfortunately, I heard that this is all ficton

EC

i think i'm seeing these guys this weekend.  i should listen more before i go to the show. ;)

red

I've never been this excited for a concert - Monday can't come soon enough.

primushead

Boys and Girls is KILLING me right now.  I think every song on there is a gem.  

I have to go see them live.  And I'd HAVE to be drunk.

EC

an EXCELLENT show here in toronto last night.  SO fun.  holy crap.  i haven't seen people that excited since my morning jacket shows.

awesome.

ratsprayer

they're one of the best bands around right now.

i had a pretty lukewarm reaction to the new album the first few listens, but now i fucking love it.  i still don't think it's as good as SEPARATION SUNDAY, but it's a fanfuckingtastic album, nonetheless.  

red

In less than 12 hours I'll be seeing my favourite band - as of now.  I can't bloody wait.  Last night of the tour, should be great.

FarmerYoda

QuoteIn less than 12 hours I'll be seeing my favourite band - as of now.  I can't bloody wait.  Last night of the tour, should be great.

rhyming is fun

red

rhyming is fun
What can I say - I'm a regular Dr. Dre... ;)

NOW, about the show......

Greastest show of my life.  I have never had so much fun, nor had so much alcohol poured on me.  I've also never seen a band drink so much onstage and play with so much heart.  It was everything I could've wished for - a feriocious, drunken mess of rock and roll, with a few ballads thrown in for good measure.  Craig's stories are just gravy on the potatoes.

And the encore, well being one of the 50 or so that got pulled onstage after was so much fun.  I was about 3 feet from Bobby wailing on his drums that were having beer poured all over them.  I was also about an inch away from Craig when he collapsed onto the bass drum, only to get up and walk off stage like he just conquered a country.

What a night.