Advice on Records please

Started by Bumbeli, Feb 23, 2009, 03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

Quote"Wildflowers" isn't *technically* a Heartbreakers album. It's a Tom Petty record that most (if not all) of the Heartbreakers ended up playing on, but it's a Petty solo record.
I learned that from the documentary that came out a few years ago. I hadn't realized that before.  :)

I have no idea why I felt the need to point that out.

Not sure if I realized that, but I think what Bumbeli was going for was just any Petty, Im assuming, because lets be honest - does it really matter if the Heartbreakers are there?? Its kind of like Neil Young and Crazy Horse, I could care less if theyre their or not if Im just picking a NY album.

that, and the fact Wildflowers is not the place to start with Tom Petty.

Now that I think about it, Wildflowers might not be the best place to start. That said, in some band's case though (and I think Petty fits this category), most people are familiar enough with his music and sound that it isnt necessarily best to start with his most "Petty" album as opposed to his best album, which IMO is probably Wildflowers, though he's got a handful that are all just about equally good.

Wildflowers is a great album.  

yes, Wildflowers is a great album and I love Tom Petty.

Damn the Torpedoes is "the one", but I tell people to start with Full Moon Fever b/c it's all over the place and cohesive.

Jaimoe

QuoteAlthough I love Quadrophenia, it's not a first buy. I'd say Who's Next and bookend it with Live at Leeds. Then move on to Quadrophenia and Tommy. Although, if you like their mod sound, get any and all of the early albums.

Gotta go with the DELUXE EDITION of "Live at Leeds"... the live Tommy on this is just out of control!!!
Also go with the deluxe of "Who's Next" for the live disc as well.

I have them both - I have the limited Live at Leed box-set. I still prefer the untweaked "Young Man Blues" over all the Tommy stuff on Live at Leeds.

Also worth getting is the deluxe The Who Sings My Generation.