New Bob Dylan Record in April

Started by Bumbeli, Mar 05, 2009, 06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bumbeli

Don't know if you are already aware of this or if it has been posted yet, but I just read on RS that there is a new Bob Dylan album coming out in late april. And as I am quite a Dylan fan and this makes me happy, I thought I'd share.

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/26445175/dylan_records_surprise_modern_times_followup
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

meggha

Thanks Bumbeli! I had no idea...
It makes me so happy that he never stops making new records. Everything he's done has changed my life.
Could this just turn into a for-the-love-of-dylan thread? i have not noticed one yet here, and it's very much needed!
"Yeah, it's chaos, it's clocks, it's watermelons, it's everything."

capt. scotty

cool beans man

his last album I have is Time out of Mind though, and I think his last few are supposed to be good, plus theyre dirt cheap on amazon used, so me thinks I should probably cop those beeches
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

aMillionDreams

This is a nice surprise.  As the article mentioned no one really knew this album was recorded until they announced it's pending release.  Very strange in this day and age.  I have a good feeling about this one.

He was supposed to be working on an album with Rick Rubin, hopefully it's on the way, too!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

meggha

Quotecool beans man

his last album I have is Time out of Mind though, and I think his last few are supposed to be good, plus theyre dirt cheap on amazon used, so me thinks I should probably cop those beeches

Yeah, 'Love and Theft' and 'Modern Times' are fabulous, and so is the Bootleg Series 8 that came out this past fall. 'Oh Mercy' is a bit earlier than 'Time Out of Mind,' but absolutely amazing and a must-have.

I could talk about this guy for days and days and days and never repeat myself and never get tired of it.  :)

Bumbeli

Quotecool beans man

Yeah, 'Love and Theft' and 'Modern Times' are fabulous, and so is the Bootleg Series 8 that came out this past fall. 'Oh Mercy' is a bit earlier than 'Time Out of Mind,' but absolutely amazing and a must-have.

I could talk about this guy for days and days and days and never repeat myself and never get tired of it.  :)

I like what you say.
Modern Times is really great, I like it more than Love and Theft, which is also very great.
Feelings hour, every tuesday morning.
[url="http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli"]http://www.last.fm/user/bumbeli[/url]

xmascriminal

Quotecool beans man

I like what you say.
Modern Times is really great, I like it more than Love and Theft, which is also very great.

Oh Mercy is maybe my favorite album of his. Daniel Lanois production is great. It's worth it for Man in the Long Black Coat alone.

meggha

Quotecool beans man

I like what you say.

Oh Mercy is maybe my favorite album of his. Daniel Lanois production is great. It's worth it for Man in the Long Black Coat alone.

yep, Daniel Lanois did a wonderful job.
Have you read Chronicles, pt. 1??? Dylan discusses his experience of recording this album in New Orleans in the late 80s. It's a bit haunting to read it after what happened with Hurricane Katrina, and it's also interesting to hear how critical he was/is of these songs. He uses the same sort of criticism when he describes recording "New Morning" too. With both albums, he says that he never felt quite right with final cuts; yet to me, these two albums reveal some extremely honest and exciting, yet humble, moments for him.
see how i can blab about the man?   :D

folieadeux322

This is great news!

People really don't appreciate how long Dylan has been making great records. From The Freewheelin' in '63 all the way down to Modern Times he has never made a bad album. Even his Jesus-y albums have there own unique qualities. Saved was some of the best harp playing that I ever heard come from anyone's mouth.

The two albums I give the most props to is Time Out of Mind and Modern Times. Both those albums blew me away. TOoM is a lot more personal with songs like Not Dark Yet and Trying to Get to Heaven. He nailed that whole album.

Modern Times is a master piece unto itself. The whole album has the 50's lounge feel combined with beautiful and well crafted lyrics. The one thing that always keep ya coming back to Zimmy has to be the lyrics. Even after 50 years of writing lyrics they are still fantastic. Take working mans blues #2  as an example.

http://www.metrolyrics.com/workingmans-blues-2-lyrics-bob-dylan.html

I am so goddamn stoked for this album! :D
Take off those glasses and let down your hair for me...

folieadeux322

Some people tell me I got the blood of the land in my voice - Bob Dylan

Fuckin A man
Take off those glasses and let down your hair for me...

xmascriminal

Quotecool beans man

I like what you say.

yep, Daniel Lanois did a wonderful job.
Have you read Chronicles, pt. 1??? Dylan discusses his experience of recording this album in New Orleans in the late 80s. It's a bit haunting to read it after what happened with Hurricane Katrina, and it's also interesting to hear how critical he was/is of these songs. He uses the same sort of criticism when he describes recording "New Morning" too. With both albums, he says that he never felt quite right with final cuts; yet to me, these two albums reveal some extremely honest and exciting, yet humble, moments for him.
see how i can blab about the man?   :D

I'm actually in the process of reading it, but I have gotten past that part. Those alternate lyrics were hilarious.

meggha

QuoteThis is great news!

People really don't appreciate how long Dylan has been making great records. [highlight]From The Freewheelin' in '63 [/highlight]all the way down to Modern Times he has never made a bad album. Even his Jesus-y albums have there own unique qualities. Saved was some of the best harp playing that I ever heard come from anyone's mouth.

The two albums I give the most props to is Time Out of Mind and Modern Times. Both those albums blew me away. TOoM is a lot more personal with songs like Not Dark Yet and Trying to Get to Heaven. He nailed that whole album.

Modern Times is a master piece unto itself. The whole album has the 50's lounge feel combined with beautiful and well crafted lyrics. The one thing that always keep ya coming back to Zimmy has to be the lyrics. Even after 50 years of writing lyrics they are still fantastic. Take working mans blues #2  as an example.

Don't forget the self-titled release before that! Even though only two of the songs on his first release were originals, it's still one beautiful piece!
But I agree with you about how he's continually underrated. Having recorded and written so much fantastic music over the past 47 years, how could anyone question his wonder??

Leontheslut

QuoteThis is great news!

People really don't appreciate how long Dylan has been making great records. [highlight]From The Freewheelin' in '63 [/highlight]all the way down to Modern Times he has never made a bad album. Even his Jesus-y albums have there own unique qualities. Saved was some of the best harp playing that I ever heard come from anyone's mouth.

Don't forget the self-titled release before that! Even though only two of the songs on his first release were originals, it's still one beautiful piece!
But I agree with you about how he's continually underrated. Having recorded and written so much fantastic music over the past 47 years, how could anyone question his wonder??
I left out Bob Dylan "Bob Dylan" because of that very reason meggha. I love Song to Woody. You could really tell by that song what a song writer he would be. I'm just glad I have gotten the privilege to see him 5 or 6 times. I can't wait to see him again.

Since I started listen to Dylan in the early 2000's (I'm only 25) I decided there are three songs I have to hear before I die (or more likely he dies). I have heard two of the three

1) Girl From the North Country
2) Just Like A Woman

The only song I still need to hear just happens to be my favorite all time song: Boots of Spanish Leather.

Quick Story:

Mickey Reds (he posts here) and I went to see him in Quakertown, PA.
It was dead silent and I was probably 30-40 yards away and I yelled at the top of my lungs "SPANISH BOOTS OF SPANISH LEATHER."
He ended up playing Girl, from the North Country and after the song was over he kind of addressed me.

He said "Anymore requests? 'Cause I'm not gonna play them."

What a dick! :lol:
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

Leontheslut

Opps I didn't post under the same user name as my previous comment.

F it
Klink Disclaimer: My posts are not to be taken seriously. They are all in jest. Please lighten up.

meggha

QuoteHe said "Anymore requests? 'Cause I'm not gonna play them."

This is one of many things I love about Dylan.
I'd be the type to yell out that song, too. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

I tried to find this video of a 2004 performance to show you, but no success.
I did, however, find this: one of my favorite memories of Dylan, and possibly one of the reasons he can be a dick at shows...?
:) enjoy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwPqeZJYeM&feature=related[/media]

xmascriminal

QuoteHe said "Anymore requests? 'Cause I'm not gonna play them."

This is one of many things I love about Dylan.
I'd be the type to yell out that song, too. Definitely one of my all time favorites.

I tried to find this video of a 2004 performance to show you, but no success.
I did, however, find this: one of my favorite memories of Dylan, and possibly one of the reasons he can be a dick at shows...?
:) enjoy.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZwPqeZJYeM&feature=related[/media]

I love the look on his face when he first notices the guy.

meggha

yeah, that whole thing is classic.

Leontheslut

It's alright Meggha. I have so much of Dylan's music my harddrive is about to explode. I have a few versions of Boots live.

Speaking of Boots have you ever seen the dervish version of the song? If there is any version that can stand up to the original it is this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNFRvQrvLtM

Leontheslut

meggha

THANKS LEONTHEHUT!
Great videos, I love that last one, HILARIOUS and true.  :D