Favorite Rolling Stone Albums

Started by aMD, Jul 02, 2007, 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonboy

God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteTrailer for Shine A Light:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33726
That looks awesome, can't wait.  I really need to work on building my Stones collection.

To think, The Hold Steady opened for them just a couple nights ago... 8-)

chris

My favorite are:

Exile
Beggars Banquet
Let it Bleed
and Their Satanic Majesties Request (I know that this one was originally panned by critics and considered a poor imitation to Sgt Peppers, but there are some songs on there that I really love: for instance -2000 man, she's a rainbow, sing this all together, and 2000 light years from home).  If nothing else download 2000 man and I think you'll love it.
yeah, so if it's sad, well you still gotta live till ya die

JacketGal

QuoteMy Top 3

Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main Street
Beggars Banquet

for me, Sticky and Exile are about tied for 1st. Both are unbelieveably good. Exile flows a little better, but the highs on sticky fingers come often and are unbelieveable. Brown Suuuugar!

I could not have said it better myself!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

MyLifeISought

My number one is Let It Bleed, because Gimme Shelter alone pushes it above the rest. Greatest song ever written.
"Music is my savior
I was tamed by rock and roll
I was maimed by rock and roll
Got my name from rock and roll"
-Wilco

TheBigChicken

Flowers or Out of our Heads....big ups to old school STONES ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

aMD

QuoteFlowers or Out of our Heads....big ups to old school STONES ;D

yeah, i think i'm gong to dive in some old stones now that i've digested the 68-73 era.  I have to say that exile on main street is still probably my favorite followed by sticky fingers and let it bleed.

JohnnyRage

Out of our Heads is pretty great.

Satisfaction
That's how strong my love is
The last time
the spider and the fly
under assistant west coast production man

I haven't bought Flowers yet cuz I'm confused on it being a quasi-compilation album, U.S.  vs British releases.

Big Hits (High Tide and Green Grass) is a great compilation.
[size=13]Be Right Here Forever...Go Through This Thing Together...And On Heaven's Golden Shores We'll Lay Our Heads[/size][/i]

TheBigChicken

I also like Your Satanic Majesties Request.......2000 man ;D ;D ;D ;D
the fruit bats love makin' made all the kids cry

JacketGal

QuoteI also like Your Satanic Majesties Request.......2000 man ;D ;D ;D ;D

+ 2000 light years and She's a Rainbow make this a keeper! :)

England's Newest Hit Makers is a blues beauty!
But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

red

alright, so i know i need the classics, but is there an excellent early album i might dig?  i really like the songs "2000 man" and "she's a rainbow", for example.

dragonboy

You can't go wrong with any of their early albums IMO.

12x5 & The Rolling Stones Now!, Out Of Our Heads, Decembers Children & Aftermath are all excellent.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteYou can't go wrong with any of their early albums IMO.

12x5 & The Rolling Stones Now!, Out Of Our Heads, Decembers Children & Aftermath are all excellent.
damn!  at least now i've got plenty ideas in my head for my next trip to a record store.

capt. scotty

1) Exile
1) Let It Bleed
1) Sticky Fingers

2) Beggars Banquet
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Jbones72

The Stones are my Favorite Band, hands down! I started with my aunt's copy High Tides when I was 7 or 8 I think. It's obvious that everybody cites the Mick Talyor years as the best, but every album, with the exception of Dirty Work, has great stuff on it. (Dirty Work's Had it with You is ok) The 3 disc Singles collection is great, Dandelion, Child Of The Moon, Memo From Turner(Actually Mick solo), We Love You, The Spider and the Fly, Long Long While, among may others are on that.

I waver on a favorite album list but right now I'd have to say Some Girls. It was a big f-you to everyone who thought they were washed up by 1978. I've been listening to Goats Head Soup and Emotional Rescue a lot lately . Silver Train is one of the best "unknown" Stones greats as is Winter and Let me Go. If you can find a bootleg DVD copy of the 1972 live tour it's well worth it. The live versions of Love In Vain, All Down the Line, Dead Flowers, and Bye Bye Johnny show are among the many highlights!

Long Live the "Glimmer Twins"!

xmascriminal

1. Let It Bleed
2. Beggar's Banquet (Which is often #1)
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Exile On Main St.
5. Aftermath
6. Flowers
7. Goat's Head Soup
8. Voodoo Lounge
9. Some Girls
10. Steel Wheels

I haven't heard December's Children, Emotional Rescue, Undercover or Dirty Work.

Quotealright, so i know i need the classics, but is there an excellent early album i might dig?  i really like the songs "2000 man" and "she's a rainbow", for example.

Those are both from Their Satanic Majesties Request but IMO, Aftermath is their best early album. It was their first album of all original material and so I find it a lot more interesting than the releases that came before it, which mostly consisted of blues/rock 'n' roll covers.

dragonboy

Quote1. Let It Bleed
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Exile On Main St.
5. Aftermath
6. Flowers
7. Goat's Head Soup
8. Voodoo Lounge
9. Some Girls
10. Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge & Steel Wheels but no Tattoo You?!!

xmascriminal

Quote1. Let It Bleed
3. Sticky Fingers
4. Exile On Main St.
5. Aftermath
6. Flowers
7. Goat's Head Soup
8. Voodoo Lounge
9. Some Girls
10. Steel Wheels
Voodoo Lounge & Steel Wheels but no Tattoo You?!!

Admittedly I haven't give Tattoo You as big a listen as I should. Waiting on a Friend, which I'm really not a fan of, turned me off a little bit. But it does have some kickass rock songs, like Start Me Up, Neighbors and Little T&A, which reminds me of a story:

The Rolling Stones were coming to Mansfield and I really had very little interest in seeing them. I knew exactly what they'd play, so I thought it'd be boring. Besides, tickets were expensive. But, as the concert failed to sell out, ticket prices kept dropping. So finally, when they were lowered to $22.50, I couldn't resist anymore. I told myself it might be kind of fun.

After an attrocious opening performance by Kanye West, in which he asked the crowd to verify that he indeed did "look good", I sat around for two and a half hours waiting for the Stones to come on. Finally, the lights went down. I expected Start Me Up of course. But Keith plucked the opening notes to Paint It Black and everybody went insane. The first time they'd ever opened with it. From then on, it was surprise after surprise: Sway, Sweet Virginia, Ain't Too Proud To Beg, and the first ever American performance of Streets of Love, which was SO much better live. Despite skipping Gimmie Shelter and You Can't Always Get What You Want, we got to hear a bunch of Let It Bleed Songs: Live With Me, Monkey Man, Midnight Rambler and, during Keith's section, a great version of You Got the Silver where Keith stood there without a guitar staring at a monitor with the lyrics while Ron played acoustic. For his second song, he strapped on an electric and played the first live performance of Little T&A heard in twenty-two years. And that's why I was reminded of all this. It was a great night that completely destroyed my expectations. I know that if I ever went to another Stones show, it'd probably be just the same old thing. We got lucky. If only they'd play them all that way.

Isobella

I'm going to vote for my favorites that no one has mentioned.
Goats Head Soup
Between the Buttons
Black N Blue
These may not be on par with previously mentioned albums but are worth a listen.  Goats Head Soup was my introduction to the Stones thanks to my older brother.

Taxman

QuoteI'm going to vote for my favorites that no one has mentioned.
Goats Head Soup
Between the Buttons

Both are excellent album imo.  8-)
I'm not trying to be mysterious about it, it's just that what I do is tough to explain.
-Macgyver