Allman Brothers @ Beacon

Started by wallstreet, Mar 12, 2009, 01:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LBSUNFLWR

Every year that I lived in NJ I always said I was going to make it to one of these. The year I actually bought tickets and was prepared to go was the one year they moved it from the Beacon. The show got cancelled bc of poor ticket sales I think. I was refunded my money and never got to go. Now I live too far away and it'll all be over and I never got to go. Boo me.  :embarrassed:

Crispy

I always told myself I'd get to one of those Beacon runs someday, but I never did, and I really should have after getting into travelling-for-shows shape. The end of it all is a bummer for sure, but I can live with the memories of the shows I did get to see, a bunch at Red Rocks, and most with Dickey. It might be different if I had connected with other fans like I have with MMJ peeps, but that didn't really happen.
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

GO4IT

I should be sitting in the balcony right now filled with anticipation as the Allman Brothers get ready to take the stage one last time at the Beacon after over 200 shows since 1989.

But no, at least for now, that's not to be.  Hopefully it will be rescheduled (a lot of doubters out there that this will ever be rescheduled at the Beacon - I hope they're wrong).

To get the presale code to order my tix for this show, not only did I need to be a Peach in good standing but I had to order a recently-released live CD from their March 10 & 11, 1992 Beacon run.  I guess listening to that CD for the first time will have to suffice for this Saturday's "Plan B".

Murph

Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 29, 2014, 08:17 PM
I should be sitting in the balcony right now filled with anticipation as the Allman Brothers get ready to take the stage one last time at the Beacon after over 200 shows since 1989.

But no, at least for now, that's not to be.  Hopefully it will be rescheduled (a lot of doubters out there that this will ever be rescheduled at the Beacon - I hope they're wrong).

To get the presale code to order my tix for this show, not only did I need to be a Peach in good standing but I had to order a recently-released live CD from their March 10 & 11, 1992 Beacon run.  I guess listening to that CD for the first time will have to suffice for this Saturday's "Plan B".

I hear ya man, I was blasting Allmans on the jukebox last night getting more and more upset. Do we have any word on when we might hear any news about the rescheduling??

GO4IT

Quote from: Murph on Mar 29, 2014, 08:39 PM
Quote from: GO4IT on Mar 29, 2014, 08:17 PM

I hear ya man, I was blasting Allmans on the jukebox last night getting more and more upset. Do we have any word on when we might hear any news about the rescheduling??

No word on rescheduling yet as far as I can tell.

I went to put on that "Plan B" CD last night - Play All Night - Live at the Beacon Theatre 1992 - and guess what, my CD player died in protest.

Not to be denied, I move on to "Plan C", which turned out to be even better.  I dug out my ancient vinyl copy of Live at the Fillmore East which I have not played in some time.  Somehow my vinyl copy has survived virtually unscathed from millions of my plays in the 70s.  The album cover is beat to crap, but that isn't nearly as important.  Played all 4 sides while cracking open my bible - "Live at the Fillmore East, A Photographic Memoir" by Amalie Rothschild.  There's a reason why many consider this the greatest live album ever made.

There was no time or place that was more important to rock and roll than 1968-1971 at the Fillmore.  The Allmans closed it down with three consecutive shows in June of 1971 when everything that was incubated there could no longer be contained within its intimate confines.

Murph

Shug

Did you guys watch the stream from Mountain Jam last night?  Wow, the Allman Brothers Band have still got it.  I was so glad to hear and see that, I was a bit worried with all the bad news from the Allmans this year (Gregg and Butch missing shows, Gregg's broken wrist, Warren and Derek leaving, band carrying on without them, band not carrying on without them, etc) but I had nothing to worry about, they smoked yet another mindblower of a show, playing all of the first two albums (except Every Hungry Woman).  I can't think of a single band still playing that can touch the intensity, virtuosity, and jamming abilities of this band. I believe they are in another universe compared to every other rock band in existence. They are truly going out at the top of their game.

I'm thinking dangerously about how I can see one more show this year, although I cannot afford it.  That Lockn festival lineup has got so many highlights, so many favorite bands playing multiple nights in multiple configurations.  What I would not give to see Phil and Bobby playing The Other One with the Allmans blazing away behind them, forcing Bobby to up his energy, pushing the pace and intensity back to where it belongs, where it used to be all the time (Black Hearted Woman jam last night had me thinking that).   www.locknfestival.com

Last Beacon show:  Do you think Clapton could stay away?  Would Dickey get over it and play one last time with the Brothers?

One of the things I am so thankful for, I will be able to sit back when I'm old and recall all the times I have been so incredibly fortunate to see live in concert two of the greatest rock bands of all time, The Allmans and the Grateful Dead.  In a few months, neither will exist anymore.  Ain't that the end of an era.

If you have not checked it out, you should get the new DVD version (unedited) of Great Woods 1991 (Woody is fucking amazing, along with Dickey and Warren) as well as the recently released DVD of 3-26-2009 40th anniversary of first rehearsal.  That show has me agreeing with the folks who think Derek Trucks is the greatest living blues rock guitarist.  His playing was beyond mind-blowing that night.
"Some like their water shallow, I like mine deep"

kotchishm

Fillmore East '71 has been expanded and re-released. 4 LP/6 CD

http://amzn.to/UNx7IC

http://t.co/RF7TMXIKoz
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

ericm

I've been fortunate to be one of the fans to see the Allmans at the Beacon, and it ranks right up there with the best concert experiences I've ever had.

Like a dummy, I missed out on the sale for this run. I know it's a long shot but if anyone hears of a pair of tix for any night, please keep me in mind. I have put a lot of feelers out there, and hoping big time that somehow the rock Gods smile on me once again. :beer:
"Where's Jim going?"

GO4IT

Quote from: kotchishm on Jul 31, 2014, 08:51 AM
Fillmore East '71 has been expanded and re-released. 4 LP/6 CD

http://amzn.to/UNx7IC

http://t.co/RF7TMXIKoz
I can't believe I'm just catching up with this.  Immediately ordered the vinyl to go with my early 70s copy that I bought new and is now heavily worn but still sounding fine.

Don't let this become another Okonokos, if you like the ABB, and get your vinyl before it sells out!  This is about as "no brainer" as it gets in the music world.  It's worth the price just for Whipping Post!

GO4IT

Quote from: ericm on Aug 02, 2014, 03:27 PM
I've been fortunate to be one of the fans to see the Allmans at the Beacon, and it ranks right up there with the best concert experiences I've ever had.

Like a dummy, I missed out on the sale for this run. I know it's a long shot but if anyone hears of a pair of tix for any night, please keep me in mind. I have put a lot of feelers out there, and hoping big time that somehow the rock Gods smile on me once again. :beer:
Hey Eric, are you still looking for tickets?
If so, give me a call.