Main Menu

Fleet Foxes

Started by DavidCrosby, Jul 05, 2008, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capt. scotty

I dont have either their debut or the EP, but just listened to the stream on NPR. Im no worldly FFoxes connoisseur or anything, but it strikes me just like their previous material - "sounds" really good, but doesnt really draw me in or hit me. 2nd half of the album, title track on, sounded better to me for the most part. That 8 minute song was one of the  highlights I thought, as well as the last couple songs after it.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

kotchishm

Quote from: capt. scotty on May 05, 2011, 03:22 PM
I dont have either their debut or the EP, but just listened to the stream on NPR. Im no worldly FFoxes connoisseur or anything, but it strikes me just like their previous material - "sounds" really good, but doesnt really draw me in or hit me. 2nd half of the album, title track on, sounded better to me for the most part. That 8 minute song was one of the  highlights I thought, as well as the last couple songs after it.

The Sun Giant EP and the self-titled debut didn't really draw me in or hit me either.  Yet I always find myself listening to both of them.  I think they discreetly tricked me into being obsessed with them.
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

RedPatokaSea

New album is incredible!

Enchanting. Timeless. Somehow Fleet Foxes manages to weave these melodies as if it were a completely natural activity, effortless even...simply the consequence of gathering this quintet in a room with a few instruments. This band is really hitting its stride.

One thing is for certain...they sure set the bar high for May releases!

wolof7

I believe that Montezuma is Robin's best vocal performance period. I cannot get over how perfect of a song/opener this one is. It is intoxicatingly heartwarming. The vocals slay me.

This band is certainly an acquired taste but I implore all fans of this kind of music to take a few extra listens if they don't take right away, seems to do the trick :thumbsup:

After several listens favorites are:
Montezuma
Helplessness Blues
The Shrine/An Arguement
Blue-Spotted Tail
Grown Ocean

Also didn't care for battery kinzie at first but it is growing on me pretty quickly
Oh, I will dine on honey dew And drink the Milk of Paradiseeeee

woodnymph

I heard you on the radio, I couldn't help but smile...........
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

woodnymph

Finally giving their new album a listen.... holy shit "The Plains / Bitter Dancer" intro........!!!

pawpaw

It always bothered me that Starbucks sold music, some of it even stuff I liked. It always bothered me that I was seemingly turning into their target consumer - I didn't want to have "them" sitting up in Seattle thinking that they had me all figured out. But, I'm a caffeine fiend, and their coffee does the trick, so I stop in for a cup to go semi-regularly.

Lately I've had to travel to Sonoma County for work a couple times a week, which is about a two hour drive for me from where I live. Parts of it, including some of the parts I drive through for work, look like this:

Well, I stopped for coffee at Starbucks this morning about halfway through my drive, right before where the drive starts looking like the picture above, and wouldn't you know it, but Helplessness Blues is right up at the cash register for sale. Fuckin' Starbucks. I'd stubbornly never bought music from them, but knowing the stretch I had coming up, and the sounds that the album probably had on it, I couldn't pass up buying it for my last half of the drive.

I've got really strong musical memories, associations of songs or albums to times and places. Helplessness Blues will be the album for that drive, from this time. It's a wonderful, wonderful album.

:coffee:
"I'm able to sing because I'm able to fly, son. You heard me right..."

The DARK

Finally caved and bought this, even though I was a bit underwhelmed with the debut. I'm through Lorelai now, and I'm loving it so far. The songs feel so much more developed and meaningful than the first time around, which to me just seemed like a bunch of pretty melodies.
In another time, in another place, in another face

dk19

In case you couldn't make it to the show or would like to re-live the experience, I found a link that goes to a show review, set list and photos of the Fleet Foxes show. You can find it here:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/atoz/2011/07/fleet_foxes_review_pageant_setlist.php

Kenny76

Quote from: bbill on May 11, 2011, 11:34 PM
It always bothered me that Starbucks sold music, some of it even stuff I liked. It always bothered me that I was seemingly turning into their target consumer - I didn't want to have "them" sitting up in Seattle thinking that they had me all figured out. But, I'm a caffeine fiend, and their coffee does the trick, so I stop in for a cup to go semi-regularly.

Lately I've had to travel to Sonoma County for work a couple times a week, which is about a two hour drive for me from where I live. Parts of it, including some of the parts I drive through for work, look like this:

Well, I stopped for coffee at Starbucks this morning about halfway through my drive, right before where the drive starts looking like the picture above, and wouldn't you know it, but Helplessness Blues is right up at the cash register for sale. Fuckin' Starbucks. I'd stubbornly never bought music from them, but knowing the stretch I had coming up, and the sounds that the album probably had on it, I couldn't pass up buying it for my last half of the drive.

I've got really strong musical memories, associations of songs or albums to times and places. Helplessness Blues will be the album for that drive, from this time. It's a wonderful, wonderful album.

:coffee:

Great story!  I bought their 1st album this past May at a record store in Bergen, Norway.  I hadn't heard it prior to buying it, but I had seen one live performance by them on TV a few years prior, which caught my attention, and so did the album cover that day.  Bergen is a city that still remains very decorated by the Renaissance, and the album's complimentary vibe was working its voodoo on me.  I often walk into record stores not knowing what I'm going to walk out with.  Some people have pilgrimages to Mecca, the Vatican, Vegas... I visit record stores in random cities.  I just picked up Sun Giant in Newton, MA this weekend.  I'm thrilled to be seeing them live out in the woods of Holyoke, MA this coming September (at Mountain Park, where MMJ put on one of their most spectacular shows ever, by all accounts).  I haven't bought the new album yet, but I have a road trip coming up, so...

e_wind

Fleet Foxes new tour dates are on Ticketmaster BTW.

Louisville Palace in October  :beer:
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

kotchishm

They are playing Merriweather in September with the Walkmen, I HAVE to see the Walkmen, saw Fleet Foxes in May and they ruled

http://www.merriweathermusic.com/mobile/concerts/details.php?id=49687&venue=
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

e_wind

Man I didn't know Fleet Foxes could sell tickets like that! It seems like just last year they played a show here at HEadliners that didn't sell out. I refreshed right at 10am for the presale, got row R! Then  tried on my phone a couple of times to see if the mobile presale carried any weight. Ended up with row H at the palace. Proof that ROLL CALL is awesome. I got row B at the palace for MMJ, and thats a hometown show in a small theater.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

kotchishm

Quote from: e_wind on Jul 28, 2011, 10:54 AM
Man I didn't know Fleet Foxes could sell tickets like that! It seems like just last year they played a show here at HEadliners that didn't sell out. I refreshed right at 10am for the presale, got row R! Then  tried on my phone a couple of times to see if the mobile presale carried any weight. Ended up with row H at the palace. Proof that ROLL CALL is awesome. I got row B at the palace for MMJ, and thats a hometown show in a small theater.

They sold out DAR Constitution Hall in DC when I saw them fairly quick.  It seats 3700.  I think we were row AA.  Closer the better for these guys.  Incredible live show Robin is hilarious too.

woodnymph

Aaaaaahhh.... I've been progressively getting more and more into their newer album!  I knew in '09 when I saw them playing a couple new songs that I should try and pay close attention (I was so hellbent on their first album at the time....)  The new songs they played that night were Blue Spotted Tail (which I was immediately taken by) and Bedouin Dress (and maybe another, but I don't really think so.....) And now I'm so glad I did, and I'm so glad someone got youtube footage of it.... what a magical night! They played two shows, and both were sold out.....and I knew that going into the whole thing... but I drove the 4 hours down to DC and wound up scoring tickets for both shows, it was a real treat, and a blessing :-D

Well now I wish I saw them when they just played in Asheville, but I didn't know the new album then... would love to see them again soon!  :-*

Blue Spotted:

Fleet Foxes - Blue Spotted Tail

kotchishm

Quote from: woodnymph on Apr 13, 2012, 01:11 AM
Aaaaaahhh.... I've been progressively getting more and more into their newer album!  I knew in '09 when I saw them playing a couple new songs that I should try and pay close attention (I was so hellbent on their first album at the time....)  The new songs they played that night were Blue Spotted Tail (which I was immediately taken by) and Bedouin Dress (and maybe another, but I don't really think so.....) And now I'm so glad I did, and I'm so glad someone got youtube footage of it.... what a magical night! They played two shows, and both were sold out.....and I knew that going into the whole thing... but I drove the 4 hours down to DC and wound up scoring tickets for both shows, it was a real treat, and a blessing :-D

Well now I wish I saw them when they just played in Asheville, but I didn't know the new album then... would love to see them again soon!  :-*

Blue Spotted:

Fleet Foxes - Blue Spotted Tail

I really hope they continue now that J. Tillman (drums, background vocals) left.  Haven't heard much from them since that announcement.  **fingers crossed**

Mahgeetah34

Fleet Foxes May 13th Ryman show last year was by far the best concert I've ever witnessed. MMJ Bonnaroo 2011 was #2  8)

woodnymph

ellisintransit

Quote from: Mahgeetah34 on Apr 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
Fleet Foxes May 13th Ryman show last year was by far the best concert I've ever witnessed.
I've been to about 30 shows at the Ryman, and this was one of the very best.  Brought tears to my eyes, fo real.  So so so good.  I try to tell people about it, but I can do no justice. 

Mahgeetah34

Quote from: ellisintransit on Apr 18, 2012, 02:12 PM
Quote from: Mahgeetah34 on Apr 16, 2012, 12:42 AM
Fleet Foxes May 13th Ryman show last year was by far the best concert I've ever witnessed.
I've been to about 30 shows at the Ryman, and this was one of the very best.  Brought tears to my eyes, fo real.  So so so good.  I try to tell people about it, but I can do no justice.

It was quite an amazing atmosphere and a wondrous thing to experience. The crowd was incredible that night and several band members were even kind enough to take pictures and sign things after the show. They still claim that it's their favorite show that they have ever played.