just saw Ryan Adams

Started by AllyDee, Feb 21, 2009, 01:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bold99

- The crowd left early for some reason
- Probably because I've never seen such an old crowd full of old oldsters. It made a Wilco show look like Warped Tour
- Wow

This is really shocking to me....saturday in Boston could not have been more opposite.   I felt like I was the oldest person there.  Seemed like everyone was really young and the place was packed begging for more when the lights went down and curfew hit.  I couldn't imagine anyone leaving at any point during that show.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

el_chode

- Probably because I've never seen such an old crowd full of old oldsters. It made a Wilco show look like Warped Tour
- Wow

This is really shocking to me....saturday in Boston could not have been more opposite.   I felt like I was the oldest person there.  Seemed like everyone was really young and the place was packed begging for more when the lights went down and curfew hit.  I couldn't imagine anyone leaving at any point during that show.

I gotta say, they weren't bad oldsters. Very laid back, just there to have a good time, and knew the songs and the words.

I've been to shows where they are buzzkills. Example: I was at a Wilco show where a slapfight almost broke out because a kid was standing up during "I'm the Man Who Loves You" - along with the rest of the crowd - and some old man in a turtleneck decided he didn't want to. He called security and made the whole section of the balcony sit. You can imagine how well that worked. Still, I sort of expect it from Wilco since they're known as "Dad rock".

It was just odd. The only other old person show I've been to was Tragically Hip in NYC. Even then, I was probably the only American in that crowd also. A lot of canadian flags and jean jackets.

Still, why is it that old people at concerts wear turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks?
I'm surrounded by assholes

axround3r

I was at the Wellmont with 'me pa' We both love Ryan and the Cardinals, and the Dead. I actually was told of Ryan from my Dad(crazy right??) who discovered him through Phil Lesh of the Dead. Ryan is remarkably talented and the Cardinals are such a tight band. During one real spacey jan Ryan even started cawing like a bird, so funny. We stayed the full show and loved every minute of it.

Btw doesn't the Pedal Steel player look alot like Andy Dick?

And how cool was it when him and Ryan traded places so Adams can sing solo on the mic.

Wish he would have done Rescue Blues on the piano though.

ChronicHunger

ok so just saw them in columbia mo, great show i see monsters was definetly the best of the night, so different from the album version it rocked! Ryan adams did something amazing last night...he actually took a request from someone in the audience, some dude kept yelling for damn sam, and finally ryan turns to the band and says just go with it, we'll just make it up. After he said that we witnessed a miracle,lol. The night was going great until ryan starts to talk about how the crowd was like an npr show about leaves or some shit, when all was done he thanked the "NPR" crowd, which i thought was him getting another jab in about how bad the crowd was, and left the stage for good no encore, only played about a hour and forty-five to 2 :'(

Crispy

As an oldster planning(!) to see Ryan Adams tomorrow night in Tulsa, I'll be wearing a mock turtleneck under my jean jacket and hoping he shows up and plays longer than 2 hours.  ::)
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

bold99

Quoteleft the stage for good no encore, only played about a hour and forty-five to 2 :'(

This is not unusal...he hasn't been doing encores this tour...usually about 1:45-2 hours, 2 sets if that makes you feel any better.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

ALady

QuoteAs an oldster planning(!) to see Ryan Adams tomorrow night in Tulsa, I'll be wearing a mock turtleneck under my jean jacket and hoping he shows up and plays longer than 2 hours.  ::)

Hey me too!  Where ya sitting?

These 2 hour sets are bumming me out a little.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Crispy

QuoteAs an oldster planning(!) to see Ryan Adams tomorrow night in Tulsa, I'll be wearing a mock turtleneck under my jean jacket and hoping he shows up and plays longer than 2 hours.  ::)

Hey me too!  Where ya sitting?

These 2 hour sets are bumming me out a little.

It's been so long since I bought those tickets I couldn't even remember. I just looked it up though, and it looks like level 1, section E, row P, seats 7 & 8. How about you?
"...it's gonna be great -- I mean me coming back with the band and playing all those hits again"

ALady

Level 1, Section C, Row 3, Seats 7 & 8.  I think I'm going to leave the turtleneck at home (though it sounds like it'll be chilly tomorrow).  But I'll wave!
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Crispy

Wow, you got the good seats! You have to be an oldster to qualify for turtleneck wearing anyway...

How old is an oldster, chode?

el_chode

Oldster is a style, man. Either you look awkward at a rock show or you don't.

Jaimoe

- Wow

I gotta say, they weren't bad oldsters. Very laid back, just there to have a good time, and knew the songs and the words.

I've been to shows where they are buzzkills. Example: I was at a Wilco show where a slapfight almost broke out because a kid was standing up during "I'm the Man Who Loves You" - along with the rest of the crowd - and some old man in a turtleneck decided he didn't want to. He called security and made the whole section of the balcony sit. You can imagine how well that worked. Still, I sort of expect it from Wilco since they're known as "Dad rock".

It was just odd. The only other old person show I've been to was Tragically Hip in NYC. Even then, I was probably the only American in that crowd also. A lot of canadian flags and jean jackets.

Still, why is it that old people at concerts wear turtlenecks or mock turtlenecks?

Ryan and all the other "alt-country" acts draw older crowds, but c'mon, Wilco is "dad rock"? WTF??? If they are, then how long before MMJ are considered dad rock?

And I don't think any concert audience throughout history have ever had good fashion sense, so I wouldn't just single out bad turtleneck wearers.

The Tragically Hip have an older crowd because they've been around for over 20 years. They played my high school dance back in 1987. Yep, I'm from their hometown... and I'm old, but I ain't no "oldster".

el_chode

Hey, I didn't come up with the term "dad rock". It sort of annoyed me. I think it was after an interview about their Chicago Residency and Tweedy was talking about how his kids might be listening or something that I first heard it.

I complain about the turtlenecks only because it was at the Wilco show that I saw my first whine-fest and truly bad crowd, made up of these people.

I've been to hardcore shows, metal scene, and the worst frat boy college shows, and at that Wilco show was the first time that I've seen the actions of one bad person reverberate throughout an entire show to sort of put a chill on the atmosphere, especially since Security took the side of the guy who wanted people to sit.

Jaimoe

I meant no disrespect to your comments. I find them interesting and they provoked me to respond.

How long have you been a Hip fan? How did you hear about them? I'm only a casual fan. They remain one of the biggest bands in Canada.

Crispy

Well, even though I knew it was coming, I was still let down by the short (2 hr) show with no encore. Great playing, great tunes - such a tight, talented band, Pemberton is one of my favorite drummers behind Pat.  I See Monsters is definitely a highlight. Also very little banter compared to shows I've heard and even from what I've read about this tour. Ryan did comment about how good the crowd was, but I assume that's done at every show. Plenty of us oldie oldsters, choder, but I didn't see a single turtleneck!My seats were pretty shitty, being off to the side where the balcony hangs over pretty low, blocking a lot of sound, but I still enjoyed it a lot. What'd you think ALady?

el_chode

QuoteI meant no disrespect to your comments. I find them interesting and they provoked me to respond.

How long have you been a Hip fan? How did you hear about them? I'm only a casual fan. They remain one of the biggest bands in Canada.

Back when I started trolling the internets, I made a promise to myself to never get offended by internet comments, so no worries. I didn't even construe it that way haha.

I heard about the Hip from going to Syracuse University, through a friend from Watertown. I find that the closer you get to the US/Canadian border, the more popular they are. Funny how an imaginary line can be such a barrier.

I stopped really listening to them after World Container. I thought that album was just plain awful.

Jaimoe

QuoteI meant no disrespect to your comments. I find them interesting and they provoked me to respond.

Back when I started trolling the internets, I made a promise to myself to never get offended by internet comments, so no worries. I didn't even construe it that way haha.

I heard about the Hip from going to Syracuse University, through a friend from Watertown. I find that the closer you get to the US/Canadian border, the more popular they are. Funny how an imaginary line can be such a barrier.

I stopped really listening to them after World Container. I thought that album was just plain awful.

Ah yes, now I remember you. I believe you were booted unceremoniously from SU way back when? My condolences for living in The 'Cuse and living near Watertown too. Actually, Upper NY State is in a sad state. A lot of run-down towns (I'm looking at you Rome, NY), but I do like the people and some of the cities. I like Syracuse, warts and all, but I'd never live there. The city's rock stations were important to my musical upbringing in the 70's and 80's, and I'm still a big SU basketball fan.

el_chode

Ah yes, now I remember you. I believe you were booted unceremoniously from SU way back when? My condolences for living in The 'Cuse and living near Watertown too. Actually, Upper NY State is in a sad state. A lot of run-down towns (I'm looking at you Rome, NY), but I do like the people and some of the cities. I like Syracuse, warts and all, but I'd never live there. The city's rock stations were important to my musical upbringing in the 70's and 80's, and I'm still a big SU basketball fan.

Yes, quite unceremoniously, sparking my interest in free speech and a major motivation for going to law school. Turn the negative energy into something positive!

I was also there while that dude had a sex dungeon for runaways.

Not that I would know...

But yeah, Upstate has quite a burden to bear. Aside from the taxation that drove a lot of business away, you also had NYC putting the squeeze on crime, sending them to Albany, who put the squeeze on, sending them to 'Cuse, who seemed to be unable to put the squeeze on to send them to Rochester, or at least not as much as they'd like.

The area is beautiful there. And I had a great few years. Got my Scuba cert in Lake Oswego in December and my advanced cert in Skaneatles in April

Jaimoe

I love reading "Skaneatles", because I bet we are the only ones on this site that know how to pronounce it correctly.

I have less interest in Syracuse now that the Sky Chiefs are no longer affiliated with the Blue Jays.

el_chode

QuoteI love reading "Skaneatles", because I bet we are the only ones on this site that know how to pronounce it correctly.

I have less interest in Syracuse now that the Sky Chiefs are no longer affiliated with the Blue Jays.

Skuneedles, right? haha

My best friend while I was there grew up in Moravia.

Also, I believe Manowar all live in the Auburn region.