Author Topic: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit  (Read 23713 times)

LBSUNFLWR

• got that old time feeling
Re: Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit
« Reply #160 on: Mar 13, 2017, 03:34 PM »
https://www.jambase.com/article/jason-isbell-announces-new-album-400-unit-ryman-residency

Jason Isbell Announces New Album With 400 Unit & Ryman Residency
Grammy Award-winning singer-songwriter Jason Isbell and his 400 Unit backing band will release The Nashville Sound on June 16 via Southeastern Records/Thirty Tigers. The follow-up to 2015’s Something More Than Free was also produced by Dave Cobb and is the first official Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit album since 2011’s Here We Rest. Isbell also announced a five-night stand at Nashville’s Ryman Auditorium.

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit recorded The Nashville Sound at Nashville’s legendary RCA Studio A. Isbell penned 10 new songs for the LP which are said to “address a range of real life subject matters that include politics and cultural privilege (‘White Man’s World’), longing nostalgia (‘The Last Of My Kind’), love and mortality (‘If We Were Vampires’), the toxic effect of today’s pressures (‘Anxiety’), the remnants of a break up (‘Chaos and Clothes’) and finding hope (‘Something To Love’).” The 400 Unit features Derry deBorja (keyboards), Chad Gamble (drums), Jimbo Hart (bass), Amanda Shires (fiddle) and Sadler Vaden (guitar).

The group’s Ryman run will take place on October 10, 11 and 13 – 15.

parkervb

• Twitter
« Reply #161 on: Mar 16, 2017, 10:32 AM »
Excited to hear the full 400 Unit sound on this record:

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/news/jason-isbell-talks-uptempo-and-loud-new-album-w472251

best line: "It's gonna be harder for people to fall asleep in their own tears, as they probably have done for my last couple of records," he joked.
Don't you ever turn it off

walterfredo

« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2017, 01:23 AM »
Where should I start w/ Jason Isbell? While I have respek for the truckers, and have seen them a handful of times (both with and without Isbell) I just don't love them.  Grabbed the recent record store day vinyl of Isbell and can't stop listening to it!  Having nothing else, where should I start?

LBSUNFLWR

« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2017, 04:39 AM »
At the beginning!!

Also get that Live From Alabama from a few years ago. It's excellent.
If you're only going to listen to two albums then I'd say Southeastern and Live from Alabama. But his earlier solo albums have lots of great songs too.

LBSUNFLWR

« Reply #164 on: May 14, 2017, 04:41 AM »
Also go back a page and watch that live from house of blues video i posted.

walterfredo

« Reply #165 on: May 14, 2017, 11:49 AM »
Thanks!

Just ordered live from Alabama LP.

Cameron

« Reply #166 on: May 14, 2017, 06:18 PM »
If you can find a rip of his entire ACL taping I'd go with that. Otherwise Live from Alabama is as good of a place as any.

parkervb

• Twitter
« Reply #167 on: Jun 01, 2017, 04:22 PM »
oh boy, when the slide guitar comes on over the fiddle....

Cameron

« Reply #168 on: Jun 02, 2017, 02:12 PM »
instrumentally that's my fave so far.

parkervb

• Twitter
« Reply #169 on: Jun 02, 2017, 02:33 PM »
instrumentally that's my fave so far.

interesting comment, guessing you're not a fan of the lyrical content?

Cameron

« Reply #170 on: Jun 03, 2017, 11:55 AM »
no, i am.  i'm in line with everything in it.  especially having 2 young girls myself.  i probably like hope for the high road better though, lyrically.

LBSUNFLWR

« Reply #171 on: Jun 03, 2017, 12:25 PM »
Love at first listen.

Cameron

« Reply #172 on: Jun 05, 2017, 02:38 PM »
really love tupelo

LBSUNFLWR

« Reply #173 on: Jun 05, 2017, 02:45 PM »
really love tupelo

me too! first favorite.

DaydreamNation

• God's fingers choking me
« Reply #174 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:18 AM »
Yeah Tupelo and White Man's World are tied for my favorite right now but every song on the record is a gem! Very happy about this and very excited to see him in Cincy 7/1, nine days after I see Jacket at the same venue!
Most recent MMJ show: Nashville, TN - 07/07/17 ••• Most recent JJ show: Louisville, KY - 11/25/16

LBSUNFLWR

« Reply #175 on: Jun 07, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Yeah Tupelo and White Man's World are tied for my favorite right now but every song on the record is a gem! Very happy about this and very excited to see him in Cincy 7/1, nine days after I see Jacket at the same venue!

me too on both shows!!

Tupelo, Vampires and Hope the High Road are my favorites. Been listening twice a day the last few days...

DaydreamNation

« Reply #176 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:39 AM »

me too on both shows!!

Tupelo, Vampires and Hope the High Road are my favorites. Been listening twice a day the last few days...
Nice!! Where are your seats? My gf and I will be fifth row stage right for Isbell and then I'll be solo in the pit for MMJ. Kinda a bummer that it looks like the Isbell show hasn't sold all that well, with almost all of the upper level still not sold out. I'd imagine that's because they're playing less than two hours away in Dayton the next night
Most recent MMJ show: Nashville, TN - 07/07/17 ••• Most recent JJ show: Louisville, KY - 11/25/16

LBSUNFLWR

« Reply #177 on: Jun 08, 2017, 09:50 AM »

me too on both shows!!

Nice!! Where are your seats? My gf and I will be fifth row stage right for Isbell and then I'll be solo in the pit for MMJ. Kinda a bummer that it looks like the Isbell show hasn't sold all that well, with almost all of the upper level still not sold out. I'd imagine that's because they're playing less than two hours away in Dayton the next night

My seats for Isbell are Section 100, Row A. First Row of seating behind the pit! On the right if you're facing the stage. Is that Stage Right?

The venue in Dayton is almost identical and not too much farther away. I'm going to that one for Tedeschi Trucks just bc it's on a Saturday and that works better than going to Cinci on a Friday.

For MMJ I'm also in Section 100, Row R. Seems like it's far back but that venue is pretty small and has great sight lines from everywhere.

DaydreamNation

« Reply #178 on: Jun 08, 2017, 02:43 PM »

me too on both shows!!

My seats for Isbell are Section 100, Row A. First Row of seating behind the pit! On the right if you're facing the stage. Is that Stage Right?

The venue in Dayton is almost identical and not too much farther away. I'm going to that one for Tedeschi Trucks just bc it's on a Saturday and that works better than going to Cinci on a Friday.

For MMJ I'm also in Section 100, Row R. Seems like it's far back but that venue is pretty small and has great sight lines from everywhere.
No if I'm understanding you correctly you'll be more on the Jason/(hopefully) Amanda side and we'll be more on the Sadler side. No matter; we didn't have a super great sight line at the Palace in the fall but it was still a fantastic show

Murph

« Reply #179 on: Jun 08, 2017, 04:50 PM »
Going to my first Jason Isbell show in 2 weeks.  What can I expect??