Previous topic - Next topic

Penny Lane

Quote from: headhunter on Aug 29, 2011, 08:30 PM
Wed-Oct-19 New York, NY City Winery  :P

:)

yeppers! table down in front!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

EasyRyder

Going to see the dude and his dudes on Dec. 10th in Birmingham, AL! Pretty pumped to see them in a small setting again so close to their home, and this one is a benefit for Habitat for Humanity.

Anybody who went to a recent show have any opinions about how the new album material is evolving??
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

headhunter

penny lane and i saw jason with james mcmurtry in nyc back in october and the new stuff is just awesome.  he had a lot of fun mixing up new stuff with the first album, dbt stuff and a few choice covers.  you are in for a treat!
was some shakin' and some record playin'

EasyRyder

Quote from: headhunter on Dec 01, 2011, 07:31 PM
penny lane and i saw jason with james mcmurtry in nyc back in october and the new stuff is just awesome.  he had a lot of fun mixing up new stuff with the first album, dbt stuff and a few choice covers.  you are in for a treat!

Sweet! My last show was in April, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing how it has evolved. I'll let y'all know how it goes  :beer:

ralph

Jason just announced that he is the support for Ryan Adams Australian tour in April. So freaking happy right now!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ALady

Dave, you are in for a serious treat.  The camaraderie between those two is a beautiful thing to behold - and they don't sound half bad together, either!   :thumbsup:
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ralph

Its such a bonus considering the shows have been on sale for a while and are pretty much sold out.  I will very much enjoy both sets from my fifth row seat!  8)

EasyRyder

Where do I start...Jason came on and burned through several favorites and then out of nowhere brought on Paul Shaffer (Letterman's keyboard player) and a horn section!!! They played Hey Pocky Way and a bunch of old muscle shoals tunes including Take A Letter to Maria, Suspicious Minds, Sittin' On A Dock By The Bay, and another one that Jason played on the acoustic only accompanied by Paul. That one was particularly beautiful but I can't for the life of me remember the name of it.

Needless to say, it was unforgettable  :D They also played outift, decoration day, danko/manuel, some of the new tunes, and JAMMED Never Gonna Change. A few moments in that song were some of the best that I've experienced at a concert...they also played with a different guitarist from Jason's hometown, but of course I forgot his name. That guy was one of the better players I've heard, and he had a Bob Dylan and his band logo on his guitar. Not sure if he ever played with Dylan though.

In any case those covers were so much fun to experience, and Jason and the band did an incredible job representing their muscle shoals heritage. Oh- and David Letterman was there too! What a night...

Suspicious Minds Jason Isbell and Paul Schaeffer

Jason Isbell and The 400 Unit - WorkPlay - 12-10-2011 - with Paul Shaffer - Hey Pocky Way

Penny Lane

That is so awesome you were there, JP! Thanks for the recap.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

EasyRyder

Quote from: Penny Lane on Dec 11, 2011, 09:51 PM
That is so awesome you were there, JP! Thanks for the recap.

I'd give more detail, but I'm really hoping they (or anyone there) recorded the show so that you can check it out for yourself! Wish you could've been there to see the sights and hear the sounds  :beer:

ralph

playing 1 headlining show in Australia while supporting Ry Ry and its in my town! Hoorah...

capt. scotty

Ive tried multiple times to get into DBT's and it just wasnt working. I guess I sort of ignored Isbell's solo stuff because of that, but Ive listened to his new album Southeastern about a dozen times in the last week. I think its great. Had me hooked from the first song.

http://youtu.be/WdwnGG29Upw
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

headhunter

was some shakin' and some record playin'

ericm

I found this posted on another board I visit, and had to post it here. Totally agree with him, and wish we had a clapping emoticon.  :thumbsup:

Great quote from the NYTimes article :

Isbell reserves special scorn for people who record his shows on cellphones and post clips to YouTube. "It's an intrusion because I'm not performing for documentation's sake, I'm performing for people's ears and their eyeballs," he said. "I don't mind the scrutiny of it. We're good every night. I just feel like people aren't participating in the community of the room when they're behaving that way."

He shook his head. "My favorite thing about going to concerts has always been looking around and thinking that there's a lot of people in here that are very much like me, a lot of people in here I could have a full conversation with. I might even get laid in this room. You're not getting laid if you're standing there with your cellphone."
"Where's Jim going?"

MrWhippy

Thanks for sharing those quotes, Eric, they are great.  I wish more artists who are annoyed by people taking crappy cell phone videos would speak out about it. 

I will watch high quality videos sometimes, but the vast majority of what people are filming is such poor quality.  it's really not worth them taking themselves out of the moment for, and certainly not worth it for all the people around them that they are distracting to record their crappy videos.

My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Ruckus

There are a couple others that come to mind but I think Southeastern is my top album of the year so far.  I have high hopes for Negativity but this bar is set real high.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Jeff Murray

Isbell is playing the Chameleon Club in Lancaster on August 6th or The Kirby in Wilkes-Barre on August 9th... I'm leaning towards Lancaster so far even though the Kirby show is a Friday.

If anyone is looking at going to either show let me know.
Pretty please with peanut butter pudding surprise on top??

capt. scotty

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Jun 25, 2013, 09:25 PM
Isbell is playing the Chameleon Club in Lancaster on August 6th or The Kirby in Wilkes-Barre on August 9th... I'm leaning towards Lancaster so far even though the Kirby show is a Friday.

Damn, why is it once I moved out of Harrisburg theres a bunch of good shows in York and Amishville  :grin:
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Angelo

Quote from: Jeff Murray on Jun 25, 2013, 09:25 PM

Already have my tix for the Kirby which is only a couple of miles from my house. It's a nice old theatre, good place for a show.

ManNamedTruth

Seeing him do a free show on friday in Pittsburgh. It will be my first time seeing him ever as I've only seen DBT after he left, hoping for some DBT tunes. The new album is great!
That's motherfuckin' John Oates!