Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

Started by olwiggum, Feb 16, 2009, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

corey

Hey guys,
The new album comes out tomorrow. Be sure to pick it up!
Here's a short promo video that I did for the guys.
http://www.vimeo.com/3230752

It's on Youtube also, but the compression is better on Vimeo.
There's an EXTENDED version of the video as well, but it's having some synch issues on Vimeo , so it's not "live" yet.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yL5Zf_76nCA[/media]

slimsloslider

anyone in nashville going to his free in-store at grimey's? i bet you can get his album a few hours early if ya go.

http://grimeys.com/

i wanna get there, but i got no food, no job, my pets' heads are falling off...

aMillionDreams

That's awesome.  Good work, Corey!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

dragonboy

Olwiggum - now there's a name I haven't heard in a while!

Thanks for this, great work Corey  :)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

corey

Thanks, y'all. Be sure to pick up that album. It's fantastic.

Also, as soon as Vimeo gets my synch issue worked out, I have a longer version of the promo that will be online that includes interviews with the rest of the band.

IHL

Just ordered the new album.

Hope he tours Europe this year. Last time around the London show was fantastic.

corey

I don't want to say for sure, but there is a very good possibility that they will be overseas this Summer. I think they're trying to put that together.

tower

Picked up the new record at Ear X-tacy here in Louisville, good stuff!
Louisville Rock and Roll
www.edgehillave.com

bold99

Love the new album, seeing them Tues night..can't wait.
Last Fair Deal Gone Down...

corey

http://www.vimeo.com/3309309

There's a link to the longer, more in-depth video. It has interviews with the rest of the band and some candid footage. Check it out! Hope y'all dig it.

ChiefOKONO

Thanks in advance for the video, lookin forward to seeing it.

the album is great!!! highly recommended to all!  I think i will like this as much as or more than the last one!

bold99

Great show tues night!

Isbell's Southern style works like a charm

By Sarah Rodman
Globe Staff / February 26, 2009

CAMBRIDGE - Although the repetition of the shout eventually made it irritating, it was hard to disagree with the sentiment. "Now that's how you play rock 'n' roll!" a fan fervently proclaimed throughout Jason Isbell's deeply gratifying performance at T.T. the Bear's Tuesday night.

Isbell's 90-minute show was pretty much a crash course in getting it right. Sporting crisp Western wear and slinging impeccably heated guitar solos, Isbell wailed in a rasp that showcased both emotional heft and admirable technique, proffering lyrics that could break hearts on the first listen. (The only sour note was the nearly 45-minute-late start time).

Considering his hitch with the brawny, brainy Southern rockers the Drive-By Truckers, it's not surprising Isbell has brought confidence and humility to his solo albums and performances. That includes his recent sublime eponymous release.

Tuesday night with his group the 400 Unit, Isbell's solo material proved slightly more controlled than that of his previous group. The occasional pop tune bubbled to the surface as he located his niche in the spot where Steve Earle, Ryan Adams, Son Volt, and Ray LaMontagne converge - an excellent playground that found Isbell spewing vitriol over accusatory riffs, crooning to rippling organ fills, and veering into rip-snorting, honky-tonk stompers. Songs like the sultry "No Choice in the Matter" were steeped in swampy Southern rhythm and blues waters, and the walloping "Cigarettes and Wine" skewed toward classic country rock.

Isbell's Southern manners showed not only in his music but in his genial stage demeanor, as he introduced his band with old-timey charm and thanked the crowd with respectful head nods.

The singer-songwriter didn't ignore the Drive-By Truckers fans in the crowd, though. Many prayers were answered, judging by the giddy reception and spirited accompaniment to the grand gothic rumination "Danko/Manuel" and the scorching anthem "Outfit."

A left-field cover of "Psycho Killer" by Talking Heads, capably sung by the guitarist, was an odd fit but too irresistible to annoy. Better still was Isbell's heartfelt rendition of Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic," which ended the night on an elegant grace note.

Opener Deer Tick, from Providence, drew a sizable crowd of its own - a good quarter of whom left before Isbell took the stage - for a quirky set of earnest yet warped singer-songwriter fare, mountain music, and Ritchie Valens covers.

ALady

Nice!  Did you catch Deer Tick?  What'd you think?
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

bold99

QuoteNice!  Did you catch Deer Tick?  What'd you think?

They weren't bad..they did some cool covers.  A rocked up version of Santo & Johnny's Sleepwalk was good.

Love Dogg

Saw Isbell (for the 3rd time) last night at Headliner's.  Unbelievable!

Even if you aren't familiar with his music, go to a Jason Isbell show if he comes near by.  He is one of the best guitarists...ever.  His songs are so good (especially if you understand the South).  Big sweeping guitar hooks and a guaranteed solo in just about every song...maybe two ;).

His shows are considerably inexpensive ($15), considering the high prices I've been paying to see good shows, yet you get the feeling that you're witnessing something very special...and that's because you are.  

No offense to Drive-By Truckers, but with the spilt, I pick Isbell everytime.  Don't get me wrong, I love Patterson and Cooley, but all the good songs are Jason Isbell's...and by God he plays 'em at his shows.

So if he comes into town, throw on some jeans and boots, play the part, and get ready for some rock n roll...southern style!  Why not?  You won't know anybody there anyway.

PS- I thought Deer Tick kicked ass!
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

ALady

Cool!  Glad you had a good time, Love Dog...and I'll agree, I just love those Isbell songs on the old DBT records.  Really looking forward to seeing him at SXSW next week!  I've heard good things about Deer Tick as well; going to try to catch them, too.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

goose

Love Dog took me to this one.  It was great!  HE played a hell of a show.

The line of Guitars.

Playing to the crowd.

Jason

Playing with a bottle of Woodford.

This is us with a couple of people we met at the show.

Hooked on four like one, two, three

Penny Lane

great pics, guys! i like that new album a lot.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Love Dogg

QuoteLove Dog took me to this one.  It was great!  HE played a hell of a show.

The line of Guitars.

Playing to the crowd.

Jason

Sweet pics, bro!  How many do I get credit for?   ;)
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

goose

QuoteLove Dog took me to this one.  It was great!  HE played a hell of a show.

The line of Guitars.

Playing to the crowd.

Jason

Sweet pics, bro!  How many do I get credit for?   ;)

The one of Isbell singing you took.  I just picked a few cool ones I skimmed through.  You took some good ones, along with a lot of "ART" ;D
Hooked on four like one, two, three