Jason Isbell and the 400 Unit

Started by olwiggum, Feb 16, 2009, 12:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Love Dogg

Is Art that guy in the other picture?  ;D
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

goose

QuoteIs Art that guy in the other picture?  ;D

Exactly
Hooked on four like one, two, three

charps

I don't know Jason Isbell's solo stuff and I dig his DBT's stuff.  He is playing close to me in a couple weeks.  How is he live?  Should I check it out?

Love Dogg

QuoteI don't know Jason Isbell's solo stuff and I dig his DBT's stuff.  He is playing close to me in a couple weeks.  How is he live?  Should I check it out?

From my post on page one of this thread:

Saw Isbell (for the 3rd time) last night at Headliner's.  Unbelievable!

[highlight]Even if you aren't familiar with his music, go to a Jason Isbell show if he comes near by.  He is one of the best guitarists...ever.  His songs are so good (especially if you understand the South).  Big sweeping guitar hooks and a guaranteed solo in just about every song...maybe two .[/highlight]
His shows are considerably inexpensive ($15), considering the high prices I've been paying to see good shows, yet [highlight]you get the feeling that you're witnessing something very special...and that's because you are.  [/highlight]
No offense to Drive-By Truckers, but [highlight]with the spilt[/highlight], I pick Isbell everytime.  Don't get me wrong, I love Patterson and Cooley, but all the [highlight]good songs are Jason Isbell's...and by God he plays 'em at his shows. [/highlight]

[highlight]So if he comes into town, throw on some jeans and boots, play the part, and get ready for some rock n roll...southern style!  Why not?  You won't know anybody there anyway.[/highlight]

"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Penny Lane

that album is so good and even if you haven't heard it, he always plays a few DBT songs (you can't beat hearing Danko/Manuel EVER)

I regret i couldn't go to the show here, please GO if you get the chance.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

ralph

picked up this record up yesterday after being blown away hearing Danko/Manuel, and all I can say is WOW!

WOW........

You know when you keep hearing people say "you gotta hear this, you gotta hear that" but you've got too many other things you wanna listen to, or you're so obsessed with your new favourite artist to listen to anything else? I should have taken the advice on this one a long time ago. This album is a stunner.  But there's just soooo much music out there. How are we ever gonna hear it all...?
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ALady

Which one did you get, ralph?  I like both, but I'm partial to Sirens of the Ditch.  He should have a new one out soonish too.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Penny Lane

i love it that this thread came back!!
this is my most anticipated album coming out this year--APRIL!! I can't wait...
I've heard 2 of the new songs, and they're purty awesome.

ralph---lovedog reminded me that "don't say nuthin bout the things you never saw" is about the part in the last waltz where scorcese is asking them about groupies and levon turns away and says 'thought they weren't going to ask us about that'...

Jason is one of my favorite songwriters of all time..

ralph

Quote from: ALady on Jan 24, 2011, 11:26 AM
Which one did you get, ralph?  I like both, but I'm partial to Sirens of the Ditch.  He should have a new one out soonish too.

The 2nd one. It's alright... It's not too bad!!!

mike

The new cd will be out on April 12th. I am looking forward to it!

http://www.lightningrodrecords.com/news.php

weeniebeenie

Quote from: mike on Jan 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
The new cd will be out on April 12th. I am looking forward to it!

http://www.lightningrodrecords.com/news.php
My Birthday!!! I'll have to buy it. :)
How loud can silence get?

ChiefOKONO

very pumped for his new cd.. and the new DBT as well!

ralph

been listening to Live at Twist & Shout non stop over the last few days. Damn its fine, pity its only 6 songs though. 

The guitar tone on this is so Crazy Horse, its fucking magic.

bold992006

I've had the new album for a while...I am a little disappointed.  A few good songs but nothing really killer. 

Penny Lane

i love all his albums, he's one of my favorite songwriters...
:thumbsup: ;)

bold992006

His albums have been ok...but nothing he has done has compared to the songs he wrote in DBT like Outfit, Goddamn Lonely Love and Danko/Manual..etc...which has been a little disappointing to me.  Those songs are still the highlights of his shows.

ChiefOKONO

I thought that Dress Blues was an amazing song!
there are a few others that he's done that I think are great as well.

ralph

Quote from: bold992006 on Mar 08, 2011, 09:08 AM
I've had the new album for a while...I am a little disappointed.  A few good songs but nothing really killer.

I've only been sitting with the first two albums for a little while, but what has struck me with both of them is the songs that weren't so immediate on the first few listens are the songs that I now can't get enough of. The second half of the 400 Unit album from Coda is total quality. But when I first got the album it was the first half that really got to me.

Have so far resisted the urge to get the new one early. Only a month out now so I may as well wait.

Penny Lane

Quote from: ChiefOKONO on Mar 08, 2011, 06:58 PM
I thought that Dress Blues was an amazing song!
there are a few others that he's done that I think are great as well.

Agreed. No, most of the songs will never compare with the DBT songs, but there are a ton of beautiful songs on his albums..and the new one I would put Alabama Pines and We've Met up there with anything else. I still don't think there's anyone around his age writing songs with that much maturity or strength in their voice..he has a real gift.

EasyRyder

Saw these guys last night for the first time in Birmingham, and they blew me away  :o I did not expect so much energy and such mind-blowing musicianship. They play that rock/southern rock/country/blues fusion thing better than almost anyone I've seen who tried to do it. Also, they really balanced the set well emotionally (does that make sense?).

They covered the Meters (Hey Pocky Way), Hendrix (Stone Free), and Petty (American Girl) and played a bunch of DBT tunes too (Decoration Day nearly knocked me over). They packed the venue to the door, and were passing around a bottle of Jack Daniels the whole show  :thumbsup:

I haven't had a band show me such a good time since seeing MMJ at Voodoo. Those dueling guitar solos melted me last night....good golly. AND someone was there taping the show, he said he was gonna put it up on bt.etree.org if y'all wanna check it out.

Can't wait for the new album  :D
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."