The 'How To Buy' Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jul 18, 2007, 02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ycartrob

QuoteI've fallen for Stereolab's Chemical Chords, how about their older material?

K, Transient Random Noise Bursts is a decent start, then maybe Cobra and Phases, or Emperor Tomato Ketchup. Haven't heard their latest though...

And, their 2004 release Margerine Eclipse is pretty awesome from start to finish.

mjkoehler

QuoteSuperchunk
Buckethead

Sadly have neither in my collection. I know there are many Buckethead fans here. I think there are a few Superchunk fans (Soup?)

No Pocky For Kitty is excellent...where the hell is my copy?!!
With a name like that, how can it not be!

bowl of soup

QuoteSuperchunk
Buckethead

Sadly have neither in my collection. I know there are many Buckethead fans here. I think there are a few Superchunk fans (Soup?)

No Pocky For Kitty is excellent...where the hell is my copy?!!
With a name like that, how can it not be!

No Pocky is great, My first love is Here's Where the Strings Come In.  I think it was their technically first "major" release (I could be wrong). Never understood why they never got a wider audience - their sound seemed to fit the times.  They have a shit load of EP's, compilations, best of's, and the like - most of which I don't own.  I should own more.
I'm not saying it's easy...walking into sweet oblivion.

red

FACE

QuoteFairport Convention?
I love Liege & Lief and Unhalfbricking. Maybe Liege to start with? But like I said, I love them both  :)

you hear that song i put on my muxtape, k?
i like unhalfbricking most! specifically su tu dois partir!
word.

FACE

Quotethe fall?  
SLATES!
YEAH!

or dragnet - i love "flat of angles"

red

Reading this thread reminds me how many albums are out there that I still want desperately.  Time to fill my head with more ideas....

Tortoise?

red

Tracy (and any other Sonic Youth enthusiasts): I have EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, and Dirty.  Where should I go next?

Where's our friend The Dark?  I'm sure he'd have a suggestion.  

red

Stevie Wonder?

I've been listening to a bootleg from '74 and it's been blowing my mind.  Time to delve into the man's catalog, I figure.  

dragonboy

QuoteStevie Wonder?

I've been listening to a bootleg from '74 and it's been blowing my mind.  Time to delve into the man's catalog, I figure.  
I would start with Talking Book or Innervisions & then Songs In The Key Of Life.

I know you're not a fan of Best Of's but I recommend picking one up so you don't miss out on all of of his classic early singles like I Was Made To Love Her, Uptight, For Once In My Life, My Cherie Amour, Yester-Me, Yester-You etc
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

capt. scotty

QuoteStevie Wonder?

I would start with Talking Book or Innervisions & then Songs In The Key Of Life.

I 2nd this, specifically the Innervisions and Talking Book part
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

The DARK

QuoteTracy (and any other Sonic Youth enthusiasts): I have EVOL, Sister, Daydream Nation, Goo, and Dirty.  Where should I go next?

Where's our friend The Dark?  I'm sure he'd have a suggestion.  

Riiiiiiight here.  ;) Check out some of their later albums i.e. Washing Machine, Murray Street, and Rather Ripped. Bad Moon Rising is an acquired taste, but if you're particularly into EVOL, go for it.
In another time, in another place, in another face

mjkoehler

Since you have all the great earlier works, get Washing Machine next. The Diamond Sea is mind altering.

After that, Murrey Street, Sonic Nurse and Rather Ripped are very Good. A Thousand Leaves is also goodn and NYC Ghost and Flowers isn't too bad.

red

Thanks gents.   :)

Mudhoney?

dragonboy

I only have Superfuzz Bigmuff, you have that one right?
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

QuoteI only have Superfuzz Bigmuff, you have that one right?
I don't.   :-[

This is about all I know of Mudhoney:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiSBG521JIU[/media]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tiSBG521JIU