The 'How To Buy' Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jul 18, 2007, 02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

I'll be going to the city on the weekend and am looking to pick up a Kinks album.  What's a good one to start with?

dragonboy

QuoteI'll be going to the city on the weekend and am looking to pick up a Kinks album.  What's a good one to start with?
The Village Green Preservation Society is widely considered their best album but it's quite different from the singles you'll have heard like All Day And All Of The Night & You Really Got Me.

Be careful in the city Red. I have a 'friend' who always comes back with a shitload of CDs every time he goes to 'the city'  ;)
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

dragonboy

I think I'm just about ready to 'do' Billy Bragg...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

red

Any U2 albums essential?  I already own The Joshua Tree.

fitzcarraldo

QuoteAny U2 albums essential?  I already own The Joshua Tree.
Achtung Baby
The Unforgettable Fire

Jaimoe

Did someone mention the blues?

I like Delta Blues best of all, but I can recommend some modern blues and some classic discs that I feel are must owns. NOTE: There are good compilations/series out there covering the various blues genres like Delta, Chicago, Urban, Country etc... Look got them. Also, refer to All Music Guide online. It's invaluable for blues and everything else. This is a start, off the top of my head. Ask me again more specific questions about blues and I'll post more recommendations.

Get these essentials box-sets over any single comp:

And here's some essential albums that I always recommend to friends not rooted in the blues:

Buddy Guy's best, nastiest and jammiest blues album from a few years back (it's Buddy doing North Misssissippi delta blues)

Junior Kimbrough from North Mississippi with his scary trance blues (and a huge influence of the North Mississippi Allstars and The Black Keys)

Another North Mississippi great, R.L. Burnside with his breakthrough album

Robert Nighthawk is another scary electric bluesman and this is a masterpiece

Alvin Youngblood Hart's folk blues Big Mama's Door

A recent album from the former avant-garde jazz guitarist turned hardcore bluesman James Blood Ulmer:

Just because this is the best white blues-based album ever recorded not including Derek & The Dominoes

Jeff Beck's first album is as good as rival Led Zeppelin I

red

dragonboy

QuotePulp?
I would go for extra pulp! HAHAHA!!!  ;D ;D ;D

It's only 9 in the morning & I'm on fire!

(I'm sure that Rats & MJ will agree with me when I say you have to have Different Class...there's a deluxe edition out now, not sure if that's worth investing in or not)

dragonboy

ratsprayer

QuotePulp?

DIFFERENT CLASS  !!!!  this is one of my top 10 favourite albums ever, maybe even top 5.  jarvis is one hell of a lyricist and tells quite a story.  you've been warned!   ;D

red

QuoteAny Smog/(Smog) fans?
I'm fairly new to the Bill Callahan game, but you NEED Knock Knock.  Perfect place to start.

As for Pulp, I picked up Different Class today!  There was nothing in the section under Pulp but then I decided to look in the 50% off bin and found it for $6.   :)

dragonboy

QuoteAny Smog/(Smog) fans?
I'm fairly new to the Bill Callahan game, but you NEED Knock Knock.  Perfect place to start.
Thanks Red. I heard the song Vessel In Vain on the Dead Man's Shoes OST & need to hear more. Just found out that Bill Callahan was in Japan earlier this year  >:(

red

The Jam?  Heard "Town Called Malice" for the very first time today.

The DARK

How should I get into Tom Waits?
In another time, in another place, in another face

Chills

QuoteHow should I get into Tom Waits?

Closing Time first definitely.
Proceed with Small Change, after that one maybe Frank's Wild Years or Rain Dogs?

aMD

QuoteHow should I get into Tom Waits?

if you can view or hear his austin city limits performance do so.  He has a really nice greatest hits collection if you like starting with comps called Used Songs that is fantastic!

but remember:  the large print giveth and the small print taketh away

BH

I've always been a fan of Grandaddy but I don't have any of their albums.  Should I start with Sumday or Fambily Cat?  Or something else?  Thanks.
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ratsprayer

QuoteI've always been a fan of Grandaddy but I don't have any of their albums.  Should I start with Sumday or Fambily Cat?  Or something else?  Thanks.

i'd go with UNDER THE WESTERN FREEWAY or THE SOPHTWARE SLUMP.  those two are a couple of my favourite albums ever.  each time i listen to SUMDAY i like it more, but i think it's too slick and only about half of the songs are good.  after all this time, i don't have much of an opinion on JUST LIKE THE FAMBLY CAT.

BH

QuoteI've always been a fan of Grandaddy but I don't have any of their albums.  Should I start with Sumday or Fambily Cat?  Or something else?  Thanks.

i'd go with UNDER THE WESTERN FREEWAY or THE SOPHTWARE SLUMP.  those two are a couple of my favourite albums ever.  each time i listen to SUMDAY i like it more, but i think it's too slick and only about half of the songs are good.  after all this time, i don't have much of an opinion on JUST LIKE THE FAMBLY CAT.

Thanks Pops!  Getting any sleep these days?
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

ratsprayer

Thanks Pops!  Getting any sleep these days?

what this sleep you speak of?   ;)