The 'How To Buy' Thread

Started by dragonboy, Jul 18, 2007, 02:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

megisnotreal

where should one begin to delve into the catalog of warren zevon?

The DARK

Quotewhere should one begin to delve into the catalog of warren zevon?

Excitable Boy.  :)
In another time, in another place, in another face

aMD

Quotewhere should one begin to delve into the catalog of warren zevon?

Excitable Boy.  :)

agreed.

MarkW

QuoteThe Jam?  Heard "Town Called Malice" for the very first time today.

Compact Snap, the Jam's best of, is a good place to start.  It's got all the good ones on it.

For the studio albums, All Mod Cons is their third (and for me joint best) album - Weller breaks away from the Mod-revivalist leanings of the first two.  He starts to really develop as a songwriter, too.  "Down in the Tube Station..." has the line: "They smelled of pubs, and Wormwood Scrubs, and too many right-wing meetings."

The fourth album, Setting Sons, is a narrative of Britain at the time Thatcher came to power.  This is another fave, with Eton Rifles, Private Hell etc etc.  Very, very good.

Either of those two would do, but I'd go with All Mod Cons as it probably has the wider range (English Rose is very un-Jam - only Weller and an acoustic).  Or just buy both.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

MarkW

QuoteI've always been a fan of Grandaddy but I don't have any of their albums.  Should I start with Sumday or Fambily Cat?  Or something else?  Thanks.

i'd go with UNDER THE WESTERN FREEWAY or THE SOPHTWARE SLUMP.  those two are a couple of my favourite albums ever.  each time i listen to SUMDAY i like it more, but i think it's too slick and only about half of the songs are good.  after all this time, i don't have much of an opinion on JUST LIKE THE FAMBLY CAT.

I started with Sophtware Slump, and it's still my favourite.
The trouble with the straight and the narrow is it's so thin, I keep sliding off to the side

dragonboy

QuoteThe Jam?  Heard "Town Called Malice" for the very first time today.

Compact Snap, the Jam's best of, is a good place to start.  It's got all the good ones on it.

For the studio albums, All Mod Cons is their third (and for me joint best) album - Weller breaks away from the Mod-revivalist leanings of the first two.  He starts to really develop as a songwriter, too.  "Down in the Tube Station..." has the line: "They smelled of pubs, and Wormwood Scrubs, and too many right-wing meetings."

The fourth album, Setting Sons, is a narrative of Britain at the time Thatcher came to power.  This is another fave, with Eton Rifles, Private Hell etc etc.  Very, very good.

Either of those two would do, but I'd go with All Mod Cons as it probably has the wider range (English Rose is very un-Jam - only Weller and an acoustic).  Or just buy both.
Good Paul Weller/Jam article in this months UNCUT with a free of CD of tunes handpicked by the modfather himself.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

JacketGal

Jaimoe knows his blues for sure. So cool that you added Alvin Youngblood Hart on there. He's the real deal.
These might be good too - for the pure Delta blues experience:
Son House

Elmore James

But seein you feels good, and its always understood.
That anything much sweeter would make me die.

Chills

These might be good too - for the pure Delta blues experience:
Son House

Seconded. Death Letter Blues is a must-have.

Also, Willie Nelson. How to proceed beyond "Red Headed Stranger"?

red

QuoteAlso, Willie Nelson. How to proceed beyond "Red Headed Stranger"?
Here's a response from DB to me about Willie nearly a year ago...

"Hey Red, I don't know about (the other) Elvis but I love Willie!
I would start with Stardust, Phases & Stages, Shotgun Willie, or The Troublemaker, all from the 70's. Spirit is my fav of his later work. Hope that helps..."

Chills

I would start with Stardust, Phases & Stages, Shotgun Willie, or The Troublemaker, all from the 70's. Spirit is my fav of his later work. Hope that helps..."

Another thorough response from the dragonmaestro.
I'll consider his recommendations, thanks!

red

QuoteAnother thorough response from the dragonmaestro.
The man is clutch as always!  I've since only picked up Stardust and Red-Headed Stranger, but I really love them both.

George_Savage

I'll second Phases and Stages (it's GREAT!), and these others as well but I haven't heard Troublemaker.   He did an album in '93 called Across the Borderline that is highly recommended as well.   It's hard to beat Willie!

Low Dog

dragonboy

I'll second Phases and Stages (it's GREAT!), and these others as well but I haven't heard Troublemaker.   He did an album in '93 called Across the Borderline that is highly recommended as well.   It's hard to beat Willie!

Low Dog

Quite right George - there really is no such thing as a bad Willie record, although I've yet to buy the reggae album he did a couple of years ago  ;)

Another fav of mine that I don't think I've mentioned before is Yesterday's Wine. Also look out for Country Willie: His Own Songs, an early classic from '65.
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

MMJ_fanatic

you need these prince albums:
purple rain
parade

DO NOT forget "Around the world in a day" and MUST HAVE "Sign O' The Times"--unbeatable w/ U Got The Look feat. Sheena Easton!
Sittin' here with me and mine.  All wrapped up in a bottle of wine.

red

Any U2 other than The Joshua Tree (which I already own) worth buying?

dragonboy

Unforgettable Fire & Actung (sic?) Baby are both essential.

ManNamedTruth

That's motherfuckin' John Oates!

ali

i've got nearly all of their albums - joshua tree being my favourite....

achtung baby - i looooove this album. this & JT made me fall in love with U2. for me both albums are about love, but also reflect bono's expanding interest in the world - joshua tree is i think more expansive and spacious, where as i think (as a whole) AB has more colour but sonically feels a bit more huggy somehow. now that i think about it to me JT is very much an 80s record, while AB has a more 90s sound.

boy - i was watching an irish film over the weekend (intermission v good) - and i will follow played right at the opening - their early albums are quite different to the later ones, this one in particular is very much less mature (but they were only 19 / 20 at the time) a lot more rashly optimistic, more rough... still quite late 70s sound ... probably not everyones cup of tea, but worth the listen

unforgettable fire - get the doco as well if you can. interesting contrast to rattle & hum where the band & bono are obviously more interested in their image.

i actually like rattle & hum as well, but i think its a better listen after you've watched the documentary.... makes a bit more sense

as far as rufus wainwright - i'd start with poses, which is what i did. i still haven't heard his debut, have been meaning to buy it. i've got want one & want two, they're definitely more elaborate and baroque, but good... i think poses is still my favourite
love a song for the way it makes you feel

red

Aphex Twin?  I've got The Richard D. James album and it scares the hell out of me (I mean that in the best possible way ever).

ratsprayer

QuoteAphex Twin?  I've got The Richard D. James album and it scares the hell out of me (I mean that in the best possible way ever).

everything but DRUKQS.  i mean that in the most serious way.  you have the best complete album already IMO, so first thing i'd recommend is COME TO DADDY EP.  it will scare you just as much if not more.  you should also look in to squarepusher if you like aphex.  i know squarepusher gets lumped in with aphex as a quasi-rip off, but he's much more than that.