Integral Life Presents: Jim James (interview)

Started by Beffery, Mar 02, 2009, 09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckles

I came across this link, not sure if it's been put up before (did a search, apologies if I missed it!)

Listening to the first half now... pretty interesting thus far!

http://integrallife.com/landing/MMJ/index.html

Jim James & Ken Wilber
My Morning Jacket and the Search for Meaning

Part 1: From The Tennessee Fire to Okonokos

Jim James and Ken Wilber discuss the spectacular rise of My Morning Jacket, examining the circumstances and intentions behind each of their albums, tracking the band's career from their humble beginnings to their latest forays into rock stardom.

"We started to realize that there's some reason that we're lucky enough to do this, so we want to try to put as much good energy into the world as we can, and try to give as much back as we can...."

Part 2: Evil Urges and the Church of Rock

In the second installation of this discussion, Jim James and Ken Wilber take a look at the personal side of Jim's career, exploring some of the more difficult aspects of maintaining one's relationships, sanity, and integrity amidst the mania of the rock and roll lifestyle, and reflecting on how rock music can be the primary source of spiritual experience and connection for a great many people in the world....

searchinbig

Okay girls, Jim says he wants a family.

Thanks for the link. Good stuff.
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

ycartrob

what a great interview. Ken Wilber is an interesting cat.

http://www.kenwilber.com/home/landing/index.html

I think this interview should be sticky; it answers a lot of the same questions (ie, how old is Jim, girlfriends, where the name comes from, etc...). Maybe have it be a membership requirement for the board?

the sun and moon

Dudley

Quotewhat a great interview. Ken Wilber is an interesting cat.

http://www.kenwilber.com/home/landing/index.html

I think this interview should be sticky; it answers a lot of the same questions (ie, how old is Jim, girlfriends, where the name comes from, etc...). Maybe have it be a membership requirement for the board?

I dunno about that.. I am kinda bummed I listened to be honest.. I love the mystery that is My Morning Jacket.. This makes him sound so real and next to you.. But this is all good info to know about the band I just know i'll miss those mysteries.. This Ken guy does seem like a very interesting fella'. Bout to read about him now..

weeniebeenie

How loud can silence get?

ycartrob

I dunno about that.. I am kinda bummed I listened to be honest.. I love the mystery that is My Morning Jacket.. This makes him sound so real and next to you.. But this is all good info to know about the band I just know i'll miss those mysteries..

So.... why listen if you love the mystery? There's a great description about what's going to be in the interview, but you listened anyway?

Sort of liking saying opening your presents spoils the suprise (and of course you say this after opening your present).  :-/

aMillionDreams

Anyone else finding it impossible to download?

I've already given them my email three times, confirmed membership, and had my "profile updated". Now how do I listen to the damn thing?!
The Unofficial Official MMJ Guitar Tabs Archive
[url="http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/"]http://mmjtabs.50megs.com/[/url]

ycartrob

QuoteAnyone else finding it impossible to download?

I've already given them my email three times, confirmed membership, and had my "profile updated". Now how do I listen to the damn thing?!

I couldn't "download" it on to my hard drive, I had to just open and listen (Quicktime)

AMightyCaporal

QuoteAnyone else finding it impossible to download?

i didn't have any trouble- I put in my email address- waited for the confirmation email- clicked the link in the confirmation email- and downloaded
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

aMillionDreams

Could you (or anyone) host it on sendspace for me?  

AMightyCaporal

QuoteCould you (or anyone) host it on sendspace for me?  

I'll try to do it when I get home from work if its not done already
Oh I'll never say I knew you, but my heart can't wait to meet you on the other side

CoreyWdeVos

Hey guys - i am psyched you enjoy this interview; it was a lot of fun getting Jim and Ken on the phone together.

I thought i would briefly introduce myself, and make myself available for any questions or issues y'all may have with this interview.  My name is Corey W. deVos, the writer and content producer for Integral Life, and the one responsible for putting this page together.  

Obviously, i invite you to share this link with anyone you wish, but i do ask that you only share the landing page link itself, rather than bypassing the signup and linking to the file itself.  I had to jump through some hoops to be able to make this available for free to MMJ fans, and just want to mention this in order to protect some of the hard work that went into this.

That said, if anyone has any problem downloading the talk, or has not received a confirmation email, send me an email and i will get it sorted out for you: cdevos (at) integrallife (dot) com

Enjoy the interview, and let me know if you have any issues!

Warmth,
Corey W. deVos
Writer, Content Producer, Webmaster
IntegralLife.com, IntegralNaked.org
Managing Editor: KenWilber.com

ycartrob

QuoteHey guys - i am psyched you enjoy this interview; it was a lot of fun getting Jim and Ken on the phone together.

I thought i would briefly introduce myself, and make myself available for any questions or issues y'all may have with this interview.  My name is Corey W. deVos, the writer and content producer for Integral Life, and the one responsible for putting this page together.  

Obviously, i invite you to share this link with anyone you wish, but i do ask that you only share the landing page link itself, rather than bypassing the signup and linking to the file itself.  I had to jump through some hoops to be able to make this available for free to MMJ fans, and just want to mention this in order to protect some of the hard work that went into this.

That said, if anyone has any problem downloading the talk, or has not received a confirmation email, send me an email and i will get it sorted out for you: cdevos (at) integrallife (dot) com

Enjoy the interview, and let me know if you have any issues!

Warmth,
Corey W. deVos
Writer, Content Producer, Webmaster
IntegralLife.com, IntegralNaked.org
Managing Editor: KenWilber.com

Thanks for all the work you do Corey and thinking of us here. You get a special kudo, the Last Annual Dick Cavett Award for creating interviewing excellence!

CoreyWdeVos

Re: Dick Cavett Award

hahaha that is awesome, and hilarious.  It's awelarious.

Corey

AMightyCaporal

i retract my offer to upload this interview.  Get it the real way you vultures!

aMillionDreams

Nevermind, duder from the site hooked me up.

CC

here's a little note from jim:

"hello friends, a few months ago i took part in a recorded conversation/interview with world class thinker/author/magic man ken wilber. i have been a fan of his integral theory and approach to life after hearing his 6-disc "Kosmic Consciousness" interview set where he goes really in depth to what he describes as his "map of existence" and all the different elements that make up said existence. He read an interview i had done where i mentioned his work and reached out to me to do a recorded interview for this great new site they are doing called integral life. a good place to start if you want to learn more about all of this is his new book which is basically an introduction to the integral approach called "The Integral Vision." the website and all of his work and theory are meant to apply and be useful to people of any and all backgrounds/religions/race/creed etc...i think it is a really open and useful way of thinking and re-organizing your mind- trying to take the things that seem to make sense to you from all walks of life, and blend them into your own special set of beliefs and ways of living. although i think anyone could really get something out of ken's work as well as this website, this is not a sales pitch from them or myself to get anyone to buy or join anything, and i am still learning quite a bit about all of this and don't pretend for a minute to be any kind of expert in understanding the ways of our most complex human experience...i just wanted to explain a little more of the background behind this interview. i hope you are to enjoy!

-yer pal yim yames"

st. john

thx cc. did wonder about the sales pitch. feels better now.

ycartrob

Quotethx cc. did wonder about the sales pitch. feels better now.

I'm not sure if you noticed, but this whole web site is a sales pitch