Integral Life Presents: Jim James (interview)

Started by Beffery, Mar 02, 2009, 09:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vespachick

dudes, I can't listen to this AT WORK!!! why can't I download, boo hoo. :(
My jacket's gonna be cut slim and checked

searchinbig

Quotedudes, I can't listen to this AT WORK!!! why can't I download, boo hoo. :(

Hey guys - i am psyched you enjoy this interview; it was a lot of fun getting Jim and Ken on the phone together.

I thought i would briefly introduce myself, and make myself available for any questions or issues y'all may have with this interview.  My name is Corey W. deVos, the writer and content producer for Integral Life, and the one responsible for putting this page together.  

Obviously, i invite you to share this link with anyone you wish, but i do ask that you only share the landing page link itself, rather than bypassing the signup and linking to the file itself.  I had to jump through some hoops to be able to make this available for free to MMJ fans, and just want to mention this in order to protect some of the hard work that went into this.

That said, if anyone has any problem downloading the talk, or has not received a confirmation email, send me an email and i will get it sorted out for you: cdevos (at) integrallife (dot) com

Enjoy the interview, and let me know if you have any issues!

Warmth,
Corey W. deVos
Writer, Content Producer, Webmaster
IntegralLife.com, IntegralNaked.org
Managing Editor: KenWilber.com

:)
"Somewhere out there is a land that's cool, where peace and balance are the rule."

Sticky Icky Green Stuff

that shit was long as fuck.  that interviewer fucking loooves the zone.

sweatboard

There's Still Time.........

ricky8787

it may be loaded with sales pitches but there is some cool stuff there.

thanks.

Love Dogg

Very insightful.  I'm glad it waas long.  Very special, indeed.
"Sometimes it runs its course in a day, babe.  Sometimes it goes from night after night."

Soulshine

I like to read books that teach me about the universe, energy, life, awareness, and how to go through life fully conscious. I want to know how to live a full life of balance and greet each day with a sense of gratitude. Having these thoughts and feelings made me interested to see what Ken Wilber is all about. I am open to learn more about what he teaches. I don't yet know enough to make an informed decision, but I did enjoy the interview. Here are some of my thoughts:
It makes me uncomfortable that Jim's inability to have a functional and lasting relationship with another person would make him question what he is doing with his life. What he does is so important to so many people and clearly what he loves to do and most likely one of his main purposes on this planet. Talent and ability like that is a gift from the divine. I'm sure tha man has a lot more too offer too; however what we know of him and holds so personally to our lives is the words, emotions, melodies, and music as a whole. It has touched all of us. The feeling the music is able to cultivate in each of us is most likely what drew us all here and into each others lives. Wherever all of that is coming from is a pure and beautiful place and should never be questioned.
I hope he is able to find a partner that can see that and support it and in turn he will love them (in part) for their ability to see how his light shines on the world and makes it a better place for all of us. I have always made a rule for my life that I will never settle for a relationship where the person cannot see my light and all I have to offer and tha man with the master plan shouldn't either!
We all have something special to contribute and we are all connected to each other. When I think about that connection I think about how I want to see all of us realize our purpose and live up to it fully and completely. Few of us have that purpose and potential laid out in front of us as clearly as he does.
Because we're all in this together...

ycartrob

QuoteFew of us have that purpose and potential laid out in front of us as clearly as he does.

yeah, I think that's why he said the part about his struggle to connect in a relationship; so you won't be confused and say his whole "purpose" is clearly laid out in fromt of him.

food for thought.

the sun and moon

QuoteI like to read books that teach me about the universe, energy, life, awareness, and how to go through life fully conscious. I want to know how to live a full life of balance and greet each day with a sense of gratitude. Having these thoughts and feelings made me interested to see what Ken Wilber is all about. I am open to learn more about what he teaches. I don't yet know enough to make an informed decision, but I did enjoy the interview. Here are some of my thoughts:
It makes me uncomfortable that Jim's inability to have a functional and lasting relationship with another person would make him question what he is doing with his life. What he does is so important to so many people and clearly what he loves to do and most likely one of his main purposes on this planet. Talent and ability like that is a gift from the divine. I'm sure tha man has a lot more too offer too; however what we know of him and holds so personally to our lives is the words, emotions, melodies, and music as a whole. It has touched all of us. The feeling the music is able to cultivate in each of us is most likely what drew us all here and into each others lives. Wherever all of that is coming from is a pure and beautiful place and should never be questioned.
I hope he is able to find a partner that can see that and support it and in turn he will love them (in part) for their ability to see how his light shines on the world and makes it a better place for all of us. I have always made a rule for my life that I will never settle for a relationship where the person cannot see my light and all I have to offer and tha man with the master plan shouldn't either!
We all have something special to contribute and we are all connected to each other. When I think about that connection I think about how I want to see all of us realize our purpose and live up to it fully and completely. Few of us have that purpose and potential laid out in front of us as clearly as he does.

So in other words, what he needs is to find himself a TRUE fan  ::)

Soulshine

QuoteFew of us have that purpose and potential laid out in front of us as clearly as he does.

yeah, I think that's why he said the part about his struggle to connect in a relationship; so you won't be confused and say his whole "purpose" is clearly laid out in fromt of him.

food for thought.

Tracy I always appreciate your thoughts (especially food for thoughts.)   :)

I'm not completely clear on what you were saying so I will do my best to clarify my point.
I listened to the interview once and it was a few days ago. I remember being struck by one part in particular and that part was when he was talking about his struggle to connect with someone/sustain a relationship and that inability leading him to question what he does.
Perhaps I should have been more articulate in my original post.
I can't interpret what anyone thinks or what they mean when they say something especially someone I don't know. I don't want to pretend that is what I'm trying to do because I'm not. I don't know the man; I'm simply going off of my interpretation of what I heard.
What struck me was how a person with so much pure talent and potential could question what they were doing in life simply because they could not sustain a relationship.  
I guess my point about getting the sense that his purpose and potential was clearly laid out in front of him came from this.....
I have never had a clear sense about what I should do with my life. I didn't grow up thinking "one day I want to be a heart surgeon" and have that force drive me and sustain me throughout my whole life until I realized my dream of becoming a heart surgeon and fulfilled the potential that was inside me. I would go on to become one of the greatest heart surgeons in the world. I would love my job and feel so passionately for it. I would be grateful everyday for my talents and appreciative of the fact that I was able to change lives every day with my talent and abilities. My work keeps me very busy and I travel a lot so it's really hard for me to connect with people and sustain a relationship. Do I think I'm not doing the right thing or question what I'm doing simply because this one area of my life hasn't shown itself to me yet? No, but maybe that's just me....
I get the sense that he has always had a very deep connection to music and that connection drove him to where he is today. To that I say kudos! Few people have that. Do I think music is his sole purpose on this planet? No. I prefaced most of what I said with stating that it "was most likely one of his main purposes" here. I don't think anyone's complete purpose is clearly laid out in front of them. I do think some of us are more fortunate than others in having a little clearer of a path.
[size=10]*these are the thoughts/interpretations/opinions of soulshine and soulshine only. these thoughts do not necessarily reflect the thoughts/interpretations/opinions of the rest of the MMJ forum. results not typical....*[/size]

Soulshine

QuoteI like to read books that teach me about the universe, energy, life, awareness, and how to go through life fully conscious. I want to know how to live a full life of balance and greet each day with a sense of gratitude. Having these thoughts and feelings made me interested to see what Ken Wilber is all about. I am open to learn more about what he teaches. I don't yet know enough to make an informed decision, but I did enjoy the interview. Here are some of my thoughts:

So in other words, what he needs is to find himself a TRUE fan  ::)

Yep, and I'm lookin at you sun and moon!  ;D

ycartrob

What struck me was how a person with so much pure talent and potential could question what they were doing in life simply because they could not sustain a relationship.

I understand why.

That's why there's 50 billion songs about love, loss and relationships and a handful about how talented someone is or their career.

Dee.

Sounds interesting, downloading now.

Thanks dudettes/duders

Penny Lane

finally had a chance to listen to both parts last night. it's hard not to have an even bigger crush on him after hearing that. he's such a well rounded, articulate person, the way he internalizes things and the places he finds meaning is so cool to hear...especially his take on spirituality and the part where all of us want to get past the thought process and that's where God is (something like that)...i could gush about that interview all day.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Dee.

Reporting back to say... bless Jim's heart, he is amazing. That is a great interview.  8-)

ALady

I understand why.

That's why there's 50 billion songs about love, loss and relationships and a handful about how talented someone is or their career.

This.

It doesn't mean much without someone special to share it with.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Soulshine

I understand why.

This.

I understand what you're saying and I appreciate your thoughts.

I think this may be where my thoughts are being misinterpreted:

I'm talking about my inability to connect with his thoughts and feelings due to the fact that I believe life means what you want it to mean and is as full or empty as you decide for it to be regardless of factors outside of yourself.

Most people feel they need someone special to share life with for it to be special and meaningful. I'm not one of those people. It seems as though he is-therefore I hope he is able to find an amazing person to make it all complete. He deserves it!  :)

ALady

Cool.  I think we understand each other, despite any perceived disconnect  :)  
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ycartrob

I'm talking about my inability to connect with his thoughts and feelings due to the fact that I believe life means what you want it to mean and is as full or empty as you decide for it to be regardless of factors outside of yourself.

So, why comment at all?

If you can obtain "meaning" totally on your own and you "believe life means what you want it to mean and is as full or empty as you decide for it to be regardless of factors outside of yourself" then you really don't need to do anything, say anything or go anywhere. Right?

And you certainly wouldn't "choose" to be uncomfortable, right? How could you be "uncomfortable" with Jim's words if you are the true champion of "meaning" in your life. Why "choose" to be uncomfortable?

Your logic is a bit flawed (but it sounds good).

Penny Lane

I understand why.

This.

i've been sharing since kindergarten! i'm up for it  :P
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill