Currently Listening To...

Started by CC, Dec 23, 2010, 08:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WinstonLegthigh

Phish Tahoe N2 stream. Enjoying it, I think N1 has the edge at the moment courtesy of an atypical, fine first set. The night is still young, though.

parkervb

Quote from: WinstonLegthigh on Jul 19, 2018, 12:21 AM
Phish Tahoe N2 stream. Enjoying it, I think N1 has the edge at the moment courtesy of an atypical, fine first set. The night is still young, though.

been listening to 1st sets on mixlr before I tap out for the night. That first set Ghost was great. They hit a lot of my favorites on N1.
Don't you ever turn it off

parkervb

Relisten updated their site and now mark Soundboard recordings with a nice green SBD so you can quickly find quality recordings for many of the other non-traditionally taped bands like Smashing Pumpkins or in this case, the Drive By Truckers. Great SBD recording from 2004 at Alley Katz in Richmond, VA. This lineup includes Jason Isbell, if you like DBT you should definitely check this out. DANCE BAND OF THE RESISTANCE!

https://relisten.net/drive-by-truckers/2004/01/23/

sillyboob

Quote from: parkervb on Sep 21, 2018, 09:36 AM
Relisten updated their site and now mark Soundboard recordings with a nice green SBD so you can quickly find quality recordings for many of the other non-traditionally taped bands like Smashing Pumpkins or in this case, the Drive By Truckers. Great SBD recording from 2004 at Alley Katz in Richmond, VA. This lineup includes Jason Isbell, if you like DBT you should definitely check this out. DANCE BAND OF THE RESISTANCE!

https://relisten.net/drive-by-truckers/2004/01/23/

I've never used relisten.net, but a quick look and it seems like I could easily lose a weekend poking around.  Thanks for the link, and the DBT show!
Cuz it's been so long since someone shattered me.

parkervb

relisten has been so key to my late(r) in life obsession with the Grateful Dead and Phish and it's been awesome to find good recordings of DTB, Tedeschi Trucks, Pumpkins, War on Drugs, etc.

LBSUNFLWR

Listening to the new Jenny Lewis on repeat all week in the car. It's great!!

jttouch2

Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Mar 27, 2019, 09:23 PMListening to the new Jenny Lewis on repeat all week in the car. It's great!!

Same here! Was not a huge fan of hers before and really only gave it a shot because I needed an extra album for a long drive and its been playing ever since.

LBSUNFLWR

Quote from: jttouch2 on Mar 27, 2019, 09:34 PM
Quote from: LBSUNFLWR on Mar 27, 2019, 09:23 PMListening to the new Jenny Lewis on repeat all week in the car. It's great!!

Same here! Was not a huge fan of hers before and really only gave it a shot because I needed an extra album for a long drive and its been playing ever since.

Wow, you should go back and listen to Rabbit Fur Coat and Acid Tongue. Both great albums!!!

Murph

Nothing but Nick Cave for the last few months.. He's the best ever.  The Skeleton Tree documentary was gut wrenching.

parkervb

Quote from: Murph on Mar 28, 2019, 08:56 AMNothing but Nick Cave for the last few months.. He's the best ever.  The Skeleton Tree documentary was gut wrenching.

i watched him on ACL a few yrs ago and really, really liked him but never dug in. Where did you start?

Murph

Quote from: parkervb on Mar 28, 2019, 11:08 AM
Quote from: Murph on Mar 28, 2019, 08:56 AMNothing but Nick Cave for the last few months.. He's the best ever.  The Skeleton Tree documentary was gut wrenching.

i watched him on ACL a few yrs ago and really, really liked him but never dug in. Where did you start?

Yea there is a lot, it's overwhelming.  I started with Skeleton Tree, made while he was grieving from one of his sons dying.  Sort have been working backwards.  I would say Boatman's Call or No More Shall We Part would be good places to decide if you want to continue on.  Each album has been a slow grower, but then all of a sudden they wallop me and I cant stop listening.   

He's like some sort of Gothic, crooner, poet.  Not much out there that is comparable.     

bschulze1726

Let Love In is a great Nick Cave album as is No More Shall we Part and Henrys Dream!
Check out Nick Cave's work on the Lawless soundtrack.  You'll find some good stuff on that besides Nick.

I recently started listening to Quaker City Night Hawks...and its some good stuff

hoojack

[/quote]

Let love in is great. You can also check out Peaky Blinders on Netflix. It's a great series about a British gang set in post WWI Britain. His music is the theme song and is included throughout (as well as a lot of jack white and pj harvey)

[/quote]

He's like some sort of Gothic, crooner, poet.  Not much out there that is comparable.     
[/quote]

He is very unique. I find some of Tom waits's stuff to be somewhat comparable.  As I mentioned above the songs they picked for peaks blinders fit in very well with the jack white pj Harvey type sound. That sound track might be a solid place to start as well

parkervb

thanks for the recs yall. Listening to Let Love In now.

parkervb

i couldn't hang with Nick today so I switched to the new Jenny Lewis album and it's pretty dang good.

SmoothOprtr

Jammin to Moving Units this morning... never understood why they weren't a bigger success.  Solid band!
The only two things in life that make it worth livin Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin women

RobRoy286

Just discovered Esperanza Spalding, great jazz bassist/singer. Really digging the album "Radio Music Society."

parkervb

digging into some Garcia Peoples at the moment

LBSUNFLWR

I've been really liking Better Oblivion Community Center aka Phoebe Bridgers and Conor Oberst. Might not be for everyone but I've been playing every few days and liking more with each listen.