Feb 20, 2019, 10:56 pm

Dr. Dog v2.0

Started by e_wind, Dec 23, 2010, 02:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jones

The 2/5 Nashville show was great!  Here is an incomplete setlist:

I Only Wear Blue
Stranger
?
The Ark
The Old Days
Shame, Shame
The Breeze
Hang On
Shadow People
Station
Die, Die, Die
?
?
Take Me Into Town
Mirror, Mirror
The Beach
The Rabbit, The Bat, And The Reindeer
Where'd All The Time Go?
Worst Trip
Jackie Wants A Black Eye

e_wind

Yeah it was a lot of fun. Good band, good set list for me. I've only gotten really into Fate and Shame, Shame so I saw a lot that I wanted to see.

I have to say I was more impressed by Of Head and Heart. With a name like that I figured they would be some early '00s post-hardcore terrible band. They were great though.
don't rock bottom, just listen just slow down...

jones


capt. scotty

My first Dr. Dog show a few nights ago was a blast. I actually talked to someone the day of the show that said the Head & the Heart were terrible when they saw them open for Dog @ their show, and the people I went with werent in any hurry so we didnt get there until like 10 minutes before DD came on. Had this been a couple years ago, I wouldve been blown away by how much energy they have on stage, but word of mouth and live vids had me expecting that going in. That said, they best way I can put it is that they were 1 of the most fun bands Ive ever seen live. Not all around mindblowing like MMJ, not rock your face off like J Roddy Walston & The Business, not a dance party like Phish, just fun as hell - and that I didnt expect to the extent it was. I somewhat chalk it up to their sound/songs. The first 2/3 of the show was just bouncing back and forth between songs from Shame, Shame and Fate, and I loved every minute of it.  The encore was pretty much a song to song segue of Easy Beat, slightly condensed, but still very nice and unexpected. One of the people I went with has seen them 10+ times, going back to 2004 when they opened for MWard and MMJ, and said it was hands down the best show from them. Biggest complaint was the venue bc if you have a drink in hand, you cant get within 25ft of the stage. The 3 songs I really wanted were RBReindeer (which I figured theyd play), Mirror Mirror, and Jackie - so Im glad I got all 3 of those.

1.I Only Wear Blue
2.Stranger
3.Mirror, Mirror
4.The Ark
5.The Breeze
6.Hang On
7.The Old Days 
8.Take Me Into Town 
9.Shadow People
10.Someday
11.Nobody Knows Who You Are
12.The Beach
13.The Rabbit, The Bat & The Reindeer
14.Where'd All The Time Go?
15.Worst Trip
16.Unbearable Why
17.The Way The Lazy Do
18.Heart It Races

Encore:
19.Old News
20.Today
21.The World May Never Know 
22.Fool's Life 
23.Oh No
24.Wake Up
25.Jackie Wants A Black Eye.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Thanks for review man!  Sounds like a damn good time.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

woodnymph

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 20, 2011, 01:13 am
My first Dr. Dog show a few nights ago was a blast. I actually talked to someone the day of the show that said the Head & the Heart were terrible when they saw them open for Dog @ their show, and the people I went with werent in any hurry so we didnt get there until like 10 minutes before DD came on. Had this been a couple years ago, I wouldve been blown away by how much energy they have on stage, but word of mouth and live vids had me expecting that going in. That said, they best way I can put it is that they were 1 of the most fun bands Ive ever seen live. Not all around mindblowing like MMJ, not rock your face off like J Roddy Walston & The Business, not a dance party like Phish, just fun as hell - and that I didnt expect to the extent it was. I somewhat chalk it up to their sound/songs. The first 2/3 of the show was just bouncing back and forth between songs from Shame, Shame and Fate, and I loved every minute of it.  The encore was pretty much a song to song segue of Easy Beat, slightly condensed, but still very nice and unexpected. One of the people I went with has seen them 10+ times, going back to 2004 when they opened for MWard and MMJ, and said it was hands down the best show from them. Biggest complaint was the venue bc if you have a drink in hand, you cant get within 25ft of the stage. The 3 songs I really wanted were RBReindeer (which I figured theyd play), Mirror Mirror, and Jackie - so Im glad I got all 3 of those.

1.I Only Wear Blue
2.Stranger
3.Mirror, Mirror
4.The Ark
5.The Breeze
6.Hang On
7.The Old Days 
8.Take Me Into Town 
9.Shadow People
10.Someday
11.Nobody Knows Who You Are
12.The Beach
13.The Rabbit, The Bat & The Reindeer
14.Where'd All The Time Go?
15.Worst Trip
16.Unbearable Why
17.The Way The Lazy Do
18.Heart It Races

Encore:
19.Old News
20.Today
21.The World May Never Know 
22.Fool's Life 
23.Oh No
24.Wake Up
25.Jackie Wants A Black Eye.


Super bummed I missed! Sold out at Small's is generally an unpleasant situation.... but looks like a great set, thanks for posting it up!! Glad you got to check 'em out!!!  :thumbsup:
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

capt. scotty

Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 20, 2011, 10:00 pm
Super bummed I missed! Sold out at Small's is generally an unpleasant situation.... but looks like a great set, thanks for posting it up!! Glad you got to check 'em out!!!  :thumbsup:


Im guessing it was sold out, I meant to ask when I was at willcall but forgot. It didnt seem unpleasantly packed, though we were stuck in the back. I will say that the sound there has been great the last few shows Ive seen there, whereas just a couple years ago the sound was terrible. Dont know if they got better people working the boards or what.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

joey_rogo

good to see today popping up on some sets, that is my fav song of theirs. seen them 3 times and still waiting to hear it. and sadly i cant make any of the shows on this tour.

EasyRyder

Quote from: joey_rogo on Feb 21, 2011, 03:07 pm
good to see today popping up on some sets, that is my fav song of theirs. seen them 3 times and still waiting to hear it. and sadly i cant make any of the shows on this tour.


When I saw them in Birmingham a couple weeks ago, they asked for song requests during the encore and a girl up front requested "Today." Scott didn't remember the words so he made her lip sing it to him while the band played on  ;D

I wonder if that kick started the Today trend in recent setlists...I wasn't familiar with the Easy Beat album until then, but that song has become one of my favorites as of late too!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

joey_rogo

Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 21, 2011, 03:22 pm
Quote from: joey_rogo on Feb 21, 2011, 03:07 pm
good to see today popping up on some sets, that is my fav song of theirs. seen them 3 times and still waiting to hear it. and sadly i cant make any of the shows on this tour.


When I saw them in Birmingham a couple weeks ago, they asked for song requests during the encore and a girl up front requested "Today." Scott didn't remember the words so he made her lip sing it to him while the band played on  ;D

I wonder if that kick started the Today trend in recent setlists...I wasn't familiar with the Easy Beat album until then, but that song has become one of my favorites as of late too!


haha that's awesome. such a damn fun song

woodnymph

Quote from: capt. scotty on Feb 21, 2011, 11:33 am
Quote from: woodnymph on Feb 20, 2011, 10:00 pm
Super bummed I missed! Sold out at Small's is generally an unpleasant situation.... but looks like a great set, thanks for posting it up!! Glad you got to check 'em out!!!  :thumbsup:


Im guessing it was sold out, I meant to ask when I was at willcall but forgot. It didnt seem unpleasantly packed, though we were stuck in the back. I will say that the sound there has been great the last few shows Ive seen there, whereas just a couple years ago the sound was terrible. Dont know if they got better people working the boards or what.

Well, my friend went to the Smalls site and it was posted as sold out.... and I didn't really feel up to the semi-far drive to go test the posting's truth.... but that's cool it wasn't uncomfortably packed. I saw Old Crow Medicine Show there years ago that was sold out as all hell, and I was elbow-to-elbow anywhere I seemed to go.... AND it was still smoking... that's actually the real issue I had, I think. Sold out would've been fine if it wasn't such a cigarette hotbox back then! Does suck to get stuck back at the bars... but I've also had too many people spill their drinks on me to complain a whole lot  :embarassed:  (At the Old Crow show, they brought MINI bars out to both sides of the stage, cause it was damn near impossible to get back to the bars if you weren't already back there.... I've never seen them do that since! But it was a nice luxury  :) )

Oh and this   |
                   V

Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 21, 2011, 03:22 pm
Quote from: joey_rogo on Feb 21, 2011, 03:07 pm
good to see today popping up on some sets, that is my fav song of theirs. seen them 3 times and still waiting to hear it. and sadly i cant make any of the shows on this tour.


When I saw them in Birmingham a couple weeks ago, they asked for song requests during the encore and a girl up front requested "Today." Scott didn't remember the words so he made her lip sing it to him while the band played on  ;D

I wonder if that kick started the Today trend in recent setlists...I wasn't familiar with the Easy Beat album until then, but that song has become one of my favorites as of late too!


;D ;D That is fantastic!!
Daylight is good at arriving in the night time

EasyRyder

More stage banter from Birmingham that y'all might find amusing. Somebody just put up a great video of Scott ranting about the Superbowl Halftime fizzle. He pretends to be Slash at the beginning  ;D

Oh and this song is yummy too...love how they pair the guitars. Almost reminiscent of how Jim and Carl interact  :)


Dr. Dog - The Way the Lazy Do live@workplay

"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

ChronicHunger

say something - dr dog

This song has been killin me lately
like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw opposite... a dwarf.

jones


TheRoof

You Are Everything

jones

There are new dates being added on facebook, but they're not on the band site yet. I'm thinking about going to the 9/5 (Saturday) St. Louis Firebird show...

jones


ChronicHunger

I will be going to the Stl show as well, maybe fayetteville. Havent decided yet on georges, ive seen them there twice, they say third times the charm... :thumbsup:
like a big fat fucking retarded fucking black girl on a see-saw opposite... a dwarf.

YouAre_GivenToFly

NOOOOO!!

Their Philly date is during my vacation... and its free!!!
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

capt. scotty

I might have to hit up that Philly show. If its free, even moreso.
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons