Main Menu

Dr. Dog v2.0

Started by e_wind, Dec 23, 2010, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scosby2

Also, this is the best outfit for a drummer I believe I have ever seen...

Y'all got any disco ball back there?

oistheone

That's awesome that they asked that guitarist to sit in! Gotta love that kinda spontaneity at a show. Also love that they seem to be shaking up setlists quite a bit this tour. They played "Say Something" in Louisville, and it's a good thing I wasn't there because I would have lost my shit. My #1 Dr. Dog bucket list tune.

robb

no surprises, but detroit got a great show, too.  really surprised that we got a toothbrush track, and too weak too ramble is just too good for words.

That Old Black Hole
Broken Heart
Shadow People
Too Weak to Ramble
The Truth
These Days
Oh No
Stranger
How Long Must I Wait
The Beach
The Breeze
Cuckoo
Twilight
The Way the Lazy Do
Nellie
Heart It Races
(Architecture in Helsinki cover)
Jackie Wants a Black Eye
Lonesome
Encore:
County Line
Heavy Light
Rock & Roll
The Rabbit, The Bat, and The Reindeer
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

joey_rogo

seeing these fellas tonight :thumbsup:

EverythingChanges

After numerous listens, Love and Minding the Usher are probably my two favorite songs on the album.  I agree that Toby overall has the better tracks this time around, but Love is easily my favorite.

As far as Be the Void goes, I think Scott has the more enjoyable songs.  How Long Must I Wait, Do the Trick, Old Black Hole, and Over Here are some of my favorite Dr. Dog tracks. 

I am really enjoying the new album more than I thought I would after hearing the two singles. 
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

GO4IT

I was trying to decide between Saturday's Dr. Dog show in Baltimore at the Rams Head Live or Arbouretum at the Ottobar.  I wanted to see both for the first time so was torn.  Joshua Kirk (see thread on Band) convinced me that I needed to see Dr. Dog (sorry, Ruckus) and hopefully we'll get to meet Joshua as well.
Anyone else going?

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Nov 14, 2013, 08:30 PM
I was trying to decide between Saturday's Dr. Dog show in Baltimore at the Rams Head Live or Arbouretum at the Ottobar.  I wanted to see both for the first time so was torn.  Joshua Kirk (see thread on Band) convinced me that I needed to see Dr. Dog (sorry, Ruckus) and hopefully we'll get to meet Joshua as well.
Anyone else going?
No need to apologize man.  Enjoy the show!  I've been seeing the Dog since the days of Fletchers in Fells Point from 2004 and while I too was torn between seeing both shows, the price, the venue, Arbouretum (even for a 30 minute set), and my first time seeing Wooden Shjips made the decision much easier in hindsight.  If this is your first time seeing the Dog, you are in for a treat.  Their last Rams Head show was excellent.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Come Closer

Lots of good shows in the Beltway Saturday night. Ha Ha Tonka is playing at the Rock & Roll Hotel also. I'm going with the Ottobar show since I've seen Dr. Dog and have never seen Arbouretum or Wooden Shjips. The fact that I won a free ticket also helps.

GO4IT

Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
Anyone else going?
No need to apologize man.  Enjoy the show!  I've been seeing the Dog since the days of Fletchers in Fells Point from 2004 and while I too was torn between seeing both shows, the price, the venue, Arbouretum (even for a 30 minute set), and my first time seeing Wooden Shjips made the decision much easier in hindsight.  If this is your first time seeing the Dog, you are in for a treat.  Their last Rams Head show was excellent.
So much music, so little time.
Heading out to see Lone Bellow at the Soundstage tonight and hopefully I'll get home from the Dr. Dog show tomorrow in time to catch Jim at midnight on Austin City Limits.
Have fun at the Ottobar (like that's a hard thing to do) :beer:

Ruckus

Quote from: GO4IT on Nov 15, 2013, 05:28 PM
Quote from: Ruckus on Nov 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
Anyone else going?
So much music, so little time.
Heading out to see Lone Bellow at the Soundstage tonight and hopefully I'll get home from the Dr. Dog show tomorrow in time to catch Jim at midnight on Austin City Limits.
Have fun at the Ottobar (like that's a hard thing to do) :beer:
Yeah man, back at ya.  The Ottobar show will not be some upbeat, rocker so probably not Teri's taste?  I might hit up that Laetitia Van Zandt show at Metro too.
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

GO4IT

So how was the Ottobar show?

I almost didn't make Dr. Dog due to my daughter trying to usher in the next gen a bit earlier than expected down the road at St. Agnes that night.  Rather than spending time in the uncomfortable formal waiting room I strategically positioned myself 10 min down the road at the Ram's Head to kill time and still was early to the big event at 3AM. I told everyone that I was consulting with her pediatrician, Dr. Dog :thumbsup: :rolleyes: :grin: :cheesy:

oistheone

Just when I thought I had my holiday mix finalized, Dr. Dog releases a Christmas EP! I couldn't be happier! Love, love, love "Christmas Party". Classic Dog.

oistheone

Woohoo! Won some tickets to a Dr. Dog show at the end of the month. Feel like I haven't won tickets in forever!

Murph

Dr. Dog, Terminal 5, 1.25.14

Aint it Strange
Distant Light
Old Black Hole
These Days
The Truth
Broken Heart
Oh Me Oh My
Cuckoo
Say Ahh
Rock and Roll
Nellie
Heavy Light
Long Way Down (w/ Antibalas)
The Beach (w/Antibalas)
Jackie Wants a Black Eye
Heart it Races
Shadow People
Lonesome
------
Stranger
Breeze
Too Weak to Ramble
Oh No

Basically all I could hope for as far as the setlist goes. I hadn't seen Dr. Dog in over a year and this show really affirmed them as one of my favorite live acts. They only seem to get better

oistheone

WARNING: Another one of my patented long-ass post-show writeups.

Dr. Dog played Montreal the other night, and through some good fortune and a very kind record label, I got some free tickets! The only issue was that I was a few hundred miles away in Toronto. I left in the morning of the day of the show, and what should normally be a five-hour drive turned into an twelve-hour nightmare, as the only major highway between Toronto and Montreal was shut down completely due to a nasty 75-car pileup.

With three hours left till showtime, I was still over 250 miles away and we hadn't moved an inch in over an hour. I contemplated turning around, but I was informed by a traffic cop that there had been an accident the other way, and the delay would be just as bad going home. So I prayed for some magic from the concert gods and sat there in silence, stuck in the worst traffic I've ever seen. This was not the kind of sick jam I was hoping for when I pictured seeing Dr. Dog in Montreal. The road finally opened up around 7:30pm and I booked it, as much as one can book it without being completely stupid, especially considering there was just a 75-car pileup.

I hauled ass directly to the venue, completely ignoring all "NO PARKING" signs and screeched to a halt right behind the Dog's tour bus. I grabbed the "PLEASE PLAY SAY SOMETHING" sign I had made the night before and ran in the venue, before being told I couldn't bring my sign inside. Not wanting to waste any time arguing, I ditched the sign back in the car and found a good spot inside the venue just as the Dog took the stage.

I was shocked to see that this venue was fucking TINY, and wasn't even close to capacity. 150 people inside TOPS. I walked right up to the first row on the side of the stage and rocked the FUCK out for the next two hours, releasing all the built-up tension I had accumulated during my nightmare drive. The Dog were so joyously loose, playing awesome deep cuts ("Say Ahh", are you kidding me?!) and bantering endlessly with the audience. At one point, Scott said that they had nowhere to be for a few days and would be up for playing past curfew and taking requests. Of course, I went FUCKING APE SHIT and ran right up on stage, quickly yelling my story in Scott's face. Scott nodded, then turned to the crowd: "This guy drove 300 miles just for this show and wants to hear Say Something, should we play it?". The crowd seemed to agree, and Scott called a band huddle. Was I finally going to get to hear my favorite Dog tune?! Toby stepped up to the mic, said "glad you made it man", and launched into "Worst Trip". Well played, Dr. Dog, well played.

The Dog just kept rolling, asking for more requests, leading to more fruitless yelling for "Say Something". Around midnight, they launched into "Easy Beat" and mid-way through the song, asked if anyone in the audience wanted to play guitar on the track. Sure enough, some dude stepped up, Scott handed him his guitar, and the dude ripped a solo while Scott grabbed a ladder, put it on stage and proceeded to climb it while singing. Only the Dog would bust out the rarely-used mid-show ladder gag. After the band finally cut off the audience guy from any more soloing, the song ended and the guy hugged the band. Scott turned back to the crowd, asking for anymore requests, when a beer was thrown at the audience dude who was just making his way off the stage. Scott was taken aback, asking "is that what you guys do here in Quebec? Throw shit? We're here trying to give you a unique show man, not cool". Scott gave the "throat slash"/show over sign to Slick, quickly launched into "Oh No", and they got the fuck off the stage.

I can't blame an entire city for the actions of one, but I'm from Toronto anyway, so I can still stay "fuck Montreal" with a clear conscience.

Thanks to the Dog for making what could have been the "worst trip" ever into a night I'll never forget. I feel gutted that if it weren't for that drink thrower, I could have possibly watched the Dog all night. But it was still by FAR my favorite Dog show in my (admittedly small) list of times seeing them.

Just guess I'll have to save this sign for next time...

oistheone

Anyone 'round here hittin' up the 9:30 Club show? Last club show on the tour, and I've never been to Washington, so I'm very tempted. I've heard that it's one of the best places to see a show too!

EverythingChanges

Thanks for the story O.  I wonder why they didn't play Say Something, after hearing your story.
I wonder why we listen to poets when nobody gives a fuck

oistheone

Quote from: EverythingChanges on Feb 03, 2014, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the story O.  I wonder why they didn't play Say Something, after hearing your story.

My gut tells me that they wanted to play a Toby song. Though I'll never know! Rest assured, I'll be back at a show in no time, undoubtedly screaming in their face for "Say Something".

I will say, however, that "Worst Trip" is a fucking stellar song and absolutely slayed me.

Jackets N Pones

Had a blast at the Houston show last night!

Disco ball during "The Truth" was definitely one of the highlights. This is kind of out of left field but whenever I hear that song I always think some rap artist should add some lyrics  kind of like how Shabazz did for Wordless. Or maybe one of the mmj forum members...think about it!

(not my photos)

Here it is, in its entirety, our cover of ELO's Telephone Wire

Murph

I always thought that a bunch of Dr. Dog songs would make for great hip hop samples. I mean, c'mon....

Dr. Dog "How Long Must I Wait"