Main Menu

Dr. Dog v2.0

Started by e_wind, Dec 23, 2010, 02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cameron

Bummer. Glad I'll be able to see a couple of those shows.

Murph

The end of a very great era

MMJCOBRA

One of the best to ever do it. I'm having trouble processing this very sad news.  Be the void indeed  :cry:

ChiefOKONO

Very sad indeed.  I really enjoyed the one time I got to see them.
Probably won't get to catch this tour unfortunately.

I wonder how they decided this?  Was it pandemic related?

walterfredo

would not be surprised to see them on the OBH lineup

Cameron

OBH is after their final tour ends. Seems unlikely to start adding dates.

walterfredo

Quote from: Cameron on Jun 11, 2021, 10:07 AMOBH is after their final tour ends. Seems unlikely to start adding dates.

I guess it all depends on how "literal" they are with their wording. They didn't say they were done with performing live. I can see them doing occasional festival gigs. But who knows.

Come Closer

Makes sense, they've kinda felt like a band at the end of the line for a bit now.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 11, 2021, 02:08 PMMakes sense, they've kinda felt like a band at the end of the line for a bit now.

Strongly disagree.  Following the release of Live at Flamingo Hotel, they had a strong rebirth w Psychedelic Swamp, Abandoned Mansions (maybe my #1) and their last effort, Critical Equation, was also excellent.

TommyBurnz

Abandoned Mansions is their best album.

MMJCOBRA

Quote from: TommyBurnz on Jun 26, 2021, 10:39 PMAbandoned Mansions is their best album.

I can't stand absolutes but I think I absolutely agree with you. Both Toby and Scott deliver the goods for the entire album.

I really like B-room and Be the Void but think each album has a few songs that aren't up to par.

Come Closer

Abandoned Mansion is the exception in the downward trend since Shame Shame, but even that isn't really quintessential Dr Dog. That was them trying to strip it down b/c things were getting stale and it did turn out pretty well. Psychedelic Swamp is a reworking of an earlier idea, if that doesn't scream we're near the bottom of the well then I don't know what does.

Factor in the increased solo activity and the writing was on the wall. And although they're very solid live, they don't really have that x-factor synergy that makes them a repeated must-see act. None of this is meant to be a putdown in the least. They got a lot out of what they are, just my 2 cents.

kotchishm

Quote from: unravelled on Jun 26, 2021, 03:22 PM
Quote from: Osistheones on Jun 11, 2021, 02:08 PMMakes sense, they've kinda felt like a band at the end of the line for a bit now.

Strongly disagree.  Following the release of Live at Flamingo Hotel, they had a strong rebirth w Psychedelic Swamp, Abandoned Mansions (maybe my #1) and their last effort, Critical Equation, was also excellent.

Agree completely. Abandoned Mansions and Critical Equation (even the B-Sides) are excellent.

Eric Slick did say this about the previous recording process: "We were either going to break up or make our best record" ... for me it was the latter so hope there is more to come from them  :cool:
Sometimes when I get in my zone, you'd think I was stoned, but I never as they say, touched the stuf

Cameron

July 18th at Red Rocks!