Shows that are coming up

Started by pennylane, Dec 29, 2010, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

headhunter

seeing Willie Nile tonight at Joe's Pub.  Always a great show.
was some shakin' and some record playin'

Penny Lane

Nice! Enjoy Willie! I know you always do.

Tomorrow night seeing Robert Earl Keen for the first time at Irving Plaza.
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

johnnYYac

Quote from: headhunter on Jan 19, 2012, 09:26 AM
Y'know, my only exposure to Willie Nile was from the mix CD you sent me, Jeff.  Funny that I've yet to read anywhere of his striking vocal similarity to a certain folkie from Minnesota.  I fully enjoy Nile's music as I explore further, but at times it almost seems like parody of Mr. Zimmerman.  I'm sure that's unfair but inescapable for me.  Have a good time.
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Hawkeye

Cabin Fever Festival this Saturday

line-up
6:00pm: JD Hutchison (in lobby)
7:00pm: Sportfishing USA
8:00pm: Lydia Loveless
9:00pm: The Sundresses
10:00pm: Nick Tolford & Company
11:00pm: Buffalo Killers

Only really know the Buffalo Killers, but I like them quite a bit.  It's an all-Ohio line-up, which is kinda cool.  Wish they could've got the Black Keys tho to round it out!
We could.

ALady

Check out Lydia Loveless, she's getting a lot of good buzz.
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

Penny Lane

Quote from: ALady on Jan 19, 2012, 01:22 PM
Check out Lydia Loveless, she's getting a lot of good buzz.

she's completely awesome....

headhunter

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 19, 2012, 10:30 AM
Y'know, my only exposure to Willie Nile was from the mix CD you sent me, Jeff.  Funny that I've yet to read anywhere of his striking vocal similarity to a certain folkie from Minnesota.  I fully enjoy Nile's music as I explore further, but at times it almost seems like parody of Mr. Zimmerman.  I'm sure that's unfair but inescapable for me.  Have a good time.

john- watch this video of willie playing with Springsteen from this past Saturday's show in NJ.  I'm a big Dylan fan and no one writes better lyrics.  Few have more passion, energy or love of music than Willie Nile.  Plus, he's gotta be just about the nicest guy in the music world.

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/01/jamming-with-bruce-springsteen-at-light-of-day/

johnnYYac

Quote from: headhunter on Jan 19, 2012, 02:04 PM

john- watch this video of willie playing with Springsteen from this past Saturday's show in NJ.  I'm a big Dylan fan and no one writes better lyrics.  Few have more passion, energy or love of music than Willie Nile.  Plus, he's gotta be just about the nicest guy in the music world.

http://www.americansongwriter.com/2012/01/jamming-with-bruce-springsteen-at-light-of-day/
I think I see what you mean.  Still exploring...  Was he one of the guys you've had for your backyard concert series? 

dragonboy

Emeli Sande & Michael Kiwanuka next week
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

headhunter

Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 19, 2012, 04:30 PM

I think I see what you mean.  Still exploring...  Was he one of the guys you've had for your backyard concert series?

Yes, we had him 2 years ago.  He was on fire last night at joe's pub.  Very much the life-affirming show.  James Maddock (beautiful now from last album "wake up and dream") was in the audience and Willie brought him up for a cool ramones medley to end the main set).    Willie live is always special.

johnnYYac

Quote from: headhunter on Jan 20, 2012, 08:55 AM
Quote from: johnnYYac on Jan 19, 2012, 04:30 PM

Yes, we had him 2 years ago.  He was on fire last night at joe's pub.  Very much the life-affirming show.  James Maddock (beautiful now from last album "wake up and dream") was in the audience and Willie brought him up for a cool ramones medley to end the main set).    Willie live is always special.
Too bad I didn't know you back then.   :)

Penny Lane

Robert Earl Keen tonight at Irving Plaza

Ru-day

Wilco- The LA Theater-1/27  :D :beer:

ALady

Sigh.  Here goes.  I've been lazy.

1.7 E+, Apteka, Secret Colours
1.14 Heavy Times, Solid Attitude, Hecks
1.26 Kathleen Edwards

MrWhippy

Pretty good first few months of 2012 coming up.  You might guess from this list that I sort of follow Richard Thompson around.

1/24 Steve Earle solo acoustic
1/29 Tool
2/2 The Kills w/ Jeff the Brotherhood
2/3 Richard Thompson electric trio
2/6 Thurston Moore w/ Kurt Vile
2/15 Richard Thompson solo acoustic
2/16 Richard Thompson solo acoustic
2/17 Richard Thompson solo acoustic
3/12 Yim Yames et al. Woody Guthrie tribute
3/16 Dr. Dog
3/24 Band of Skulls
3/26 The Joy Formidable w/ A Place to Bury Strangers
3/30 Swervedriver
3/31 Delta Spirit

Throw an as yet to be announced Springsteen show or two in there, too.
My heart can't wait to meet you on the other side.

Fully

Quote from: MrWhippy on Jan 21, 2012, 08:35 AM
Pretty good first few months of 2012 coming up.  You might guess from this list that I sort of follow Richard Thompson around.

1/24 Steve Earle solo acoustic
1/29 Tool
2/2 The Kills w/ Jeff the Brotherhood
2/3 Richard Thompson electric trio
2/6 Thurston Moore w/ Kurt Vile
2/15 Richard Thompson solo acoustic
2/16 Richard Thompson solo acoustic
2/17 Richard Thompson solo acoustic
3/12 Yim Yames et al. Woody Guthrie tribute
3/16 Dr. Dog
3/24 Band of Skulls
3/26 The Joy Formidable w/ A Place to Bury Strangers
3/30 Swervedriver
3/31 Delta Spirit

Throw an as yet to be announced Springsteen show or two in there, too.
Looks like a good spring there, Whippy!

johnnYYac

I rarely have enough to post here, but in the absence of MMJ, some upcoming live music and comedy for yours truly...

Tonight     Suncook Valley Chorale, Concord NH (my Mom's group; she'll love that I 
                include it here)
1/28         Juston McKinney, Hillsboro NH (comedy)
2/04         Frampton Comes Alive!, Worcester MA
2/18         Jim Gaffigan, Boston MA (comedy)
3/16         New Multitudes, Boston MA (Yim, Will, etc.)
5/05         M. Ward, Portland ME
5/31-6/2   Mountain Jam, Hunter NY (greater than 50% chance)
6/29         Roger Waters The Wall, Hartford CT 

I know this is small potatoes for most of you, but Mrs. Dr. Yac is asking that I cool it after this, knowing some likely MMJ-related thing, yet unforseen, will come up later in the year.  She's probably/hopefully correct.

weeniebeenie

Soundgarden- 25th and 26th Jan.
I'm trying not to think about how depressed I'm gonna feel when it's all over.
How loud can silence get?

Hawkeye

Y'all were right about Lydia Loveless!  Liked her a lot.  Each band got around an hour set at this festival, and after the first song by Ms. Loveless, we went home real quick and got my 7 year old niece, who is just learning the guitar, knowing that she would love her.  We got an autographed CD and a photo-op after the show...my niece loved it!

Other bands were all good too.  Unfortunately the crowd really thinned out for the Buffalo Killers...it was late, small town, older crowd.
We could.

ALady

Aw, super cute pic!   :)