Shows that are coming up

Started by pennylane, Dec 29, 2010, 10:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crispy

Whoa, I didn't even see Rival Sons! Awesome!

But ohh, The Darkness...

The Darkness - I Believe In A Thing Called Love

The people-watching alone is worth going to this thing. See you there, Ruckus!
"...the Bear, Heartbreakin' Man, Evelyn...I think we all know those."

Ruckus

That Darkness video just made me walk to the freezer and put a few ice cubes in my pants.  I don't know a lot of the smaller acts but I'm sure there are some gems in there.  It's so sad that the Rival Sons haven't gotten as much traction over here as in Europe. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
That Darkness video just made me walk to the freezer and put a few ice cubes in my pants. 

I had to do the same thing during the Superbowl when i saw that commercial!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

Penny Lane

Very excited for this:
Mike Cooley  2/23  The Earl (Atlanta, GA)
Mike Cooley  2/24  Melting Pot (Athens, GA)

YouAre_GivenToFly

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 16, 2012, 03:19 PM
That Darkness video just made me walk to the freezer and put a few ice cubes in my pants. 

Not sure if I've ever had that urge...
The wind blew me back, via Chicago, in the middle of the night.

Fully

I'm accompanying my friend to see Drake tonight. She is going all out and has bought passes to the "Patron Premium Club" (Notice - no celebrities will be in attendance) I may not survive tonight, but at least I'll have some Patron in my cup!

Edited - Penny just talked me into going to see DBT in BHAM over Easter. Now that will be fun.

johnnYYac

Quote from: johnnYYac on Feb 04, 2012, 10:16 AM
Tonight, I will be 12 all over again...

This turned out to be a great night, though I don't think a Frampton thread is warranted.  I've snagged a solid recording of the show, in three files, for anyone interested.  Here's a review and setlist, too.

Frampton comes alive in Worcester

A review of Peter Frampton at the Hanover Theatre on February 4, 2012

MacLean Cadman, Contributing Writer

It's been over 35 years since the original Frampton Comes Alive! was recorded in Winterland, California and though Peter Frampton may no longer be sporting his golden locks, nothing else seems to be missing. The guitar legend and his band were in fine form Saturday night at the Hanover Theatre as they delivered the best of both old and new in a lengthy three-hour show. The night was divided into two sets with Frampton Comes Alive! in its entirety taking place first, followed by a wide-ranging selection of songs from the rest of his career.

For Frampton fans, nothing matches the exhilaration of reliving the guitarist's seminal live album. The guitar-heavy rock tunes served as a portal straight back to the '70s for nostalgic baby boomers who packed the theatre. And that affection was clear as Frampton emerged onto the stage (after a droll curtain call from the recorded voice of none other than William Shatner) to deafening applause. The grinning six-string virtuoso had to wait for the cacophony to subside before launching into the lively chords of "Something's Happening". Frampton wasted no time diving into his first solo, a dazzling display of fretwork that annihilated the doubts of any fans worried that the years had stolen his dexterity. It was just the first of many stunning solos that Frampton would deliver over the course of the show. His fretwork shined throughout the night with "Lines On My Face", "It's a Plain Shame" and "I Wanna Go To The Sun" serving as the foremost standouts.

It wasn't just Frampton's guitar doing the talking, though, as he frequently paused between songs to pepper the audience with clever japes and sardonic comments about the loss of his hair, ad-libbing the line "I don't care that I've got no hair" in "All I Want To Be (Is By Your Side)". Whether it be his riffs or his wit, Frampton was determined to provide his fans their money's worth.

The crowd didn't have to wait long for one of the night's most anticipated songs with "Show Me The Way" proving to be an early treat. An explosion of cheers rocked the theatre as Frampton began playing the lively melody, and only doubled in amplitude when he broke out the legendary "Framptone", the Englishman's custom talk-box that distorts his voice into an electronic hum. Frampton has mastered the technique, and displayed it – to the audience's delight – by vocalizing a groovy, buzzing solo and singing out "Here we are in Worcester!" in a half-Framptone, half-Frampton voice.

After "Wind of Change", "Penny For Your Thoughts" and smash hit "Baby I Love Your Way" – among several other FCA! tracks, the band closed its first set with crowd favorite "Do You Feel Like We Do". Besides rousing even the most rhythmically challenged fans into dancing, the song featured a brilliant moment when Frampton, after another extended solo, exchanged furious leads with keyboardist Rob Arthur. The song turned into a ten-minute jam session, with Arthur taking over after several minutes to hammer out a hypnotizing melody on the keys. Frampton jumped back on the talk box to sing the chorus one more time, and the song closed with a thunderous crescendo. It was a spectacular finale to celebrate one of rock's greatest live records, and the only possible way to follow it up was with more Frampton.

Perhaps it was because the band had already blitzed through the best that Frampton's career has to offer, or maybe the audience was still reveling in the past, but the second set failed to match the intensity of the first. Showing much less enthusiasm for newer material than the performer did, the crowd was very passive for the remainder of the night. Despite more ferocious solos from Frampton, songs like "Asleep at the Wheel" and "Restraint" only garnered modest applause, while "Vaudeville Nanna and the Banjolele" (a quirky anecdotal tune recounting how Frampton got into playing guitar) fell flat.

Still, the later did serve to showcase the underscored talents of Frampton's backing band, especially in a three-song offering of his Grammy-winning instrumental album Fingerprints. Guitarist Adam Lester relieved Frampton of the spotlight to fret out the slow, haunting melody of "Float", before the frontman returned and the pair closed the song in eerie unison. Arthur took the lead in the catchy "Cornerstones" to bang out an intricate solo and "Double Nickels" gave Lester another chance to take centerstage with impress fretwork.

Closing in on three hours, Frampton and his band finished the night on a strong note. A surprising cover of Soundgarden's "Black Hole Sun" – in which Frampton sang the chorus through the talk box – brought the audience to their feet, and then it was time for the much-anticipated Humble Pie (one of Frampton's first bands, a blues-rock project). Bassist Stanley Sheldon – the only remaining musician to play with Frampton on FCA! – took honors of soloing in "Four Day Creep" and Arthur displayed a terrific, gritty blues voice as he sang out the chorus. After Frampton closed the song with another tremendous display of fretwork, the band returned for an encore of George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" featuring one last soulful solo from Frampton to put the finishing touches to an excellent show.

Frampoton's new material may not be exciting as reliving that one Winterland night, but Saturday's show proved that minus the hair, the guitar legend hasn't lost a single step and is still very much alive.

Setlist

Set 1

1. Something's Happening
2. Doobie Wah
3. Lines On My Face
4. Show Me The Way
5. It's A Plain Shame
6. Wind of Change
7. Just the Time of Year
8. Penny for Your Thoughts
9. All I Want To Be (Is By Your Side)
10. Baby I Love Your Way
11. I Wanna Go To The Sun
12. (I'll Give You) Money
13. Shine On
14. Jumpin' Jack Flash (Rolling Stones cover)
15. Do You Feel Like We Do

Set 2

16. Asleep at the Wheel
17. Restraint
18. Float
19. Cornerstones
20. Double Nickels
21. Vaudeville Nanna and the Banjolele
22. All I Want To Be (Is By Your Side)
23. Black Hole Sun (Soundgarden cover)
24. Four Day Creep (Humble Pie)

Encore

25. While My Guitar Gently Weeps (George Harrison cover)

Disc One: http://www.sendspace.com/file/x6yynx
Disc Two: http://www.sendspace.com/file/y370fn
Disc Three: http://www.sendspace.com/file/4f797y
The fact that my heart's beating is all the proof you need.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Fully on Feb 17, 2012, 12:44 PM

Edited - Penny just talked me into going to see DBT in BHAM over Easter. Now that will be fun.

Let us know how Drake is!

DBT: Birmingham--can't wait. i've never been to THE HAM...i'm only going there so i can keep saying THE HAM for the next month.
+Fully
+Penny
+scosby
+easyryder

dragonboy

Just bought tickets for Michael Kiwanuka in May, Deep Dark Woods next week...
God will forgive them. He'll forgive them and allow them into Heaven.....I can't live with that.

ralph

getting great value for money with support acts over the next few weeks.  Jason Isbell opening for Ryan Adams and Dawes opening for both My Morning Jacket and Justin Townes Earle.  Cant ask for much more than that.

The first week of April Looks a bit like this:

3/4: MMJ with Dawes
4/4: MMJ with Dawes
5/4: Justin Townes Earle with Dawes
6/4 - 9/4: Boogie Festival - Yim Yames, JTE, Dawes, Dead Meadow, Pink Mountaintops, Eilen Jewell...
10/4: collaspe!
At my house, we call them uh-ohs.

ALady

if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

ALady

Where is Fiddle?  Have we talked about how Sharon Van Etten is using an omnichord on this tour?   :o
if it falls apart or makes us millionaires

robb

just impulse bought a ticket for the levon helm band next month, can't wait for this!
some get stoned, some get strange, sooner or later it all gets real.

Luna Moth

Darkstar tonight.
Moe Yonder & Stringdusters were all great. Dont have 60 bucks for an Experience Hendrix tour, darn.

Fully

Quote from: Penny Lane on Feb 17, 2012, 03:39 PM
Quote from: Fully on Feb 17, 2012, 12:44 PM

Let us know how Drake is!

DBT: Birmingham--can't wait. i've never been to THE HAM...i'm only going there so i can keep saying THE HAM for the next month.
+Fully
+Penny
+scosby
+easyryder

Drake was boring. The crowd was fun to watch and when they played Rack City before the show, it was fun. He could have used some backup dancers or something. He mostly just stood around in mood lighting to hide that he's got a weird-shaped head and tried to be sexy. Best part of the night was discovering that there is a song by Kendrick Lamar about Pussy and Patron. Apparently if you are going through a mid-life crisis, it will make everything all right. I've tried the Patron, but I'm still working up my courage to try out the other.

Ruckus

Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 06, 2012, 08:27 PM
Medeski Martin & Wood 2/10
Yonder Mountain 2/12
Jimbo Mathus 2/17
David Mayfield Parade 2/26
Dead Fingers 3/3
Dr. Dog 3/5
J Roddy 3/8
Alabama Shakes & Dexateens 3/23
Delta Spirit 4/9
North Mississippi Allstars 4/14
Johnny Corndawg 4/23
Jazz Fesssst - Vedder Day & MMJ Day (Maybe Sunday too)

:beer:
Nice little run there JP!  I think I'm adding Hacienda and Heartless bastards at Ottobar bar next Monday and the Shakes at Ram's Head on 4/7.

Saw Bonerama last Friday and thought they were incredible.  One of the more fun shows I've been to in a while.  I'm not well versed New Orleans music but I've seen Galactic and Dirty Dozen a number of times each along with the Radiators and Honey Island.  Bonerama was my favorite.  Dance party!
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

Fully

JP, Penny says you're going to see DBT Easter weekend. If so, I'll get to meet you there.

EasyRyder

Quote from: Ruckus on Feb 20, 2012, 06:20 PM
Quote from: EasyRyder on Feb 06, 2012, 08:27 PM
Medeski Martin & Wood 2/10
Yonder Mountain 2/12
Jimbo Mathus 2/17
David Mayfield Parade 2/26
Dead Fingers 3/3
Dr. Dog 3/5
J Roddy 3/8
Alabama Shakes & Dexateens 3/23
Delta Spirit 4/9
North Mississippi Allstars 4/14
Johnny Corndawg 4/23
Jazz Fesssst - Vedder Day & MMJ Day (Maybe Sunday too)

:beer:
Nice little run there JP!  I think I'm adding Hacienda and Heartless bastards at Ottobar bar next Monday and the Shakes at Ram's Head on 4/7.

Saw Bonerama last Friday and thought they were incredible.  One of the more fun shows I've been to in a while.  I'm not well versed New Orleans music but I've seen Galactic and Dirty Dozen a number of times each along with the Radiators and Honey Island.  Bonerama was my favorite.  Dance party!

Nice run, but expensive run! I'm collecting cans for cash nowadays, so if you have any extras I'll take 'em off your hands. Really lookin' forward to Heartless Bastards, I've since added them to the short list.

Bonerama is one of my favorites though. Those guys have some serious musicianship goin' on, glad you dug the nola-ness  :thumbsup: you know I never saw the Radiators believe it or not, never had the chance to. I'm jealous. You should probably/definitely come down to Jazz Fest this year. Bonerama always puts on great Fest shows.  DO IT!!!
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

EasyRyder

Quote from: Fully on Feb 20, 2012, 09:08 PM
JP, Penny says you're going to see DBT Easter weekend. If so, I'll get to meet you there.

Sweetness! I'm about to buy a Saturday ticket I think, waitin' on some dough to roll my way. Which day are you doing?
"As citizens of eternity we ought to be without anxiety."

Fully

Definitely going Saturday night, but I've got Friday night ticket as well. The husband may sit that one out though.