Started by Ruckus, Dec 30, 2010, 11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

el_chode

1:52 in the diaper video is my buddy, sitting with the drumsticks

You didn't hear it from me, but they not not playing 'roo
I'm surrounded by assholes

capt. scotty

Quote from: subinai on Feb 25, 2011, 10:32 PM

i love these guys. biased that they are from MD but still. awesome albums and even monster live show. and William Elliott Whitmore covers them

William Elliott Whitmore - Sally Bangs

Damn, never realized Sally Bangs wasnt an original. Great song no doubt
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

capt. scotty

Quote from: flyguy on Feb 26, 2011, 10:23 PM
The diaper:

Automobiles: Band in the Van - nytimes.com/video

Nice..I cant remember the last time I saw a band I liked break down their own gear after a set, and if I didnt already love their music, that made me like them even more when I witnessed it like 4-5 months ago.

Love that they showcased Rock And Roll The 2nd during the vid. Im hoping for a few debut album songs on MONDAY!! I might have to request a Go For It  ;D :D
The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care. - Peter Gibbons

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 06, 2011, 01:51 AM

i love these guys. biased that they are from MD but still. awesome albums and even monster live show. and William Elliott Whitmore covers them

It is a J Roddy original. 
Can You Put Your Soft Helmet On My Head

jones

Newport Friday!

Report back Scott!!!  They got a new van, so hopefully they will be fired up.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 06, 2011, 12:56 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 06, 2011, 01:51 AM

It is a J Roddy original.

A simple drunk misreading occurred there  ::)

Ruckus

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 06, 2011, 03:18 PM
Newport Friday!

:thumbsup:

Rock out tomorrow man!  I hope they play a blazin' set.

It really is interesting how they've chosen to gain exposure and make some loot by staying in the giant markets of the northeast and doing residencies in DC, Philly and NY.

Penny Lane

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 06, 2011, 08:54 PM
Quote from: flyguy on Mar 06, 2011, 03:18 PM
Newport Friday!

:thumbsup:

Rock out tomorrow man!  I hope they play a blazin' set.

It really is interesting how they've chosen to gain exposure and make some loot by staying in the giant markets of the northeast and doing residencies in DC, Philly and NY.

they are going to OWN the northeast--especially if they keep doing that spitting thing on stage (where he spits and the bass player moves out in the way just in time?)

wish the NYC residency wasn't on a Monday, but Brooke and Val (and Jeff but I know it'll be harder) we need to hit up at least 1 or 2 of those!
but come on...there's nothing sexy about poop. Nothing.  -bbill

capt. scotty

HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY HEY OH OH!!

Bit of a mystery as when I called the venue they didnt know if there was an opener of not. Im not sure if I want one because it would likely cut into Roddy's set, but at the same time 8pm feels like too early of a start. Not enough time to sauced up before the Bizness starts!! Cant wait to finally see a headlining set!

Ruckus

Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 07, 2011, 05:51 PM

Bit of a mystery as when I called the venue they didnt know if there was an opener of not. Im not sure if I want one because it would likely cut into Roddy's set, but at the same time 8pm feels like too early of a start. Not enough time to sauced up before the Bizness starts!! Cant wait to finally see a headlining set!
I can't imagine them not having an opener if doors are at 8.  I'm curious to see how long they go for.  They don't have too much material and the two times I saw them headline after s/t came out, we got a little under 2 hours both times.  Maybe they'll open with some AC/DC!  Have fun man.  I'm really tempted to drive up to Harrisburg tomorrow night.

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 07, 2011, 06:04 PM
Quote from: capt. scotty on Mar 07, 2011, 05:51 PM

I can't imagine them not having an opener if doors are at 8.  I'm curious to see how long they go for.  They don't have too much material and the two times I saw them headline after s/t came out, we got a little under 2 hours both times.  Maybe they'll open with some AC/DC!  Have fun man.  I'm really tempted to drive up to Harrisburg tomorrow night.

I would be beyond content if they played like 1hr 45min..Im kind of expecting 80-90min but thats good to know theyve gone almost 2hrs.

I still cant believe how a $10 ticket turns into $18.75 after fees. If youre going to a show where face is like $50, more fees is one thing. When the fees add up 90% of the ticket price, somethings wrong  >:(

jones

Where are the Pittsburgh reports?!!!  It is past noon EST and I DEMAND a report!!!

Oh yeah, I got my tickets in the mail today.  Scott, mine were $25.56 for two including all fees.

BH

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 08, 2011, 12:10 PM
Where are the Pittsburgh reports?!!!  It is past noon EST and I DEMAND a report!!!

Oh yeah, I got my tickets in the mail today.  Scott, mine were $25.56 for two including all fees.

No kidding, wake up Scott!!!!   Shake it off and send a report!
I'm digging, digging deep in myself, but who needs a shovel when you have a little boy like mine.

Ruckus

Quote from: BH on Mar 08, 2011, 12:52 PM
Quote from: flyguy on Mar 08, 2011, 12:10 PM

No kidding, wake up Scott!!!!   Shake it off and send a report!
Wake up Capt. Snoozalot!  Maybe its another 36 hour power nap.  I texted him before the show last night and he was like, "Brah!  I'm shootin the shit with the Rodmeister right now so stop crampin me dude!"  All communication was subsequently terminated.

Ruckus

Quote from: flyguy on Mar 08, 2011, 02:33 PM
J Roddy Walston: The savior of Rock 'n' Roll?

http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/arts-a-entertainment/pop-noise/25708-j-roddy-walston-the-savior-of-rock-n-roll

Nice write up.  Ralston?  I agree though.  I think my first post on the old forum about them was praising their respect for 'real' rock n' roll while contrasting them from the likes of Wye Oak, Beach House and the like.
Between these NE residencies, SXSW, and Bonnaroo(?) and their next album maybe early next year, they are ready to take a huge next step.  I just love that this recently no name band gets so much love on this board from us diehards :beer:
Now where is Scotty?

kydiddle

Hahaha!! 36 hour power nap. I miss the capt. I'll be in Pittsburgh fri night I need to text that boy and see if he'll be around.

Going to see j roddy tonight in the H-burg at this small bar/brewery. $10 to get in....I hope it doesn't fill up being fat Tuesday and all. Super pumped to see these guys.
Cow temperature.

capt. scotty

Sorry for the delay in the report, but the show last night was awesome. Certainly more JRoddy fans than the last show that he opened for Shooter Jennings, but probably 50 people there, tops. No opener, they came on a little after 9pm and played for like 75minutes. I was rocking out too much to jot down a setlist (and my sore neck today agrees), but they definitely played all of S/T (or Untitled as Roddy likes to call it), Times Are A Staying, Rock N Roll the 2nd, and Im Goin Out (I think that last one is an original, but its not on any album). I could be forgetting 1 or 2 from Hail Mega Boys, but I dont believe so.

Surprisingly before the show as opposed to after (because I wouldnt have remembered much), Roddy came out to the bar for a drink and I got to talk to him for half hr or so about the tour, pittsburgh, hipsters, life on the road, etc. Turns out this tour was thrown together quickly because their management left them to focus on Edward Sharpe's band, and they are just getting new management and set this tour up on the fly (part of why there wont be any openers for this tour, at least as of now). Said itll be weird because they usually hang with the other band theyre touring with but this time there isnt one. Asked him about opening up for the Keys, said it was great and they got a lot of new fans down there and plan on returning soon. He also said they tried to book a show here at the Brillobox (saw Delta Spirit there not long ago), but they told him that "their music wasnt there kind of thing". Surprised to hear that, and told him to try this place Mr. Smalls next time which he actually wrote down to remember, since where they played last night holds 400 (or as he said if that place was in NYC, it would be 1500 capacity), but was a little big for the crowd they seem to be getting in the Burgh. Said with the whole management thing and touring, they hadnt started writing the new album yet so no word on that, but that theyre going to try to start it soon. Before he could go backstage since they were coming out 15 minutes later, asked him if they could play Go For It, but he said something along the lines not sure if they could do that one. Talked to another guy who seemed to be a big fan during the show, and he says they never play it. Not sure if its because the former bassist wrote it or what, but that was about the only disappointment of the night.

Despite the small crowd, I think theyll be back again soon, and this guy cant wait

Ruckus

Thanks for the review Cap.  This guy got to hang with Ms. Diddle and had a good ole time at the Appalachian Brewery! :thumbsup: :beer:  The dude/bros continue to multiply

capt. scotty

Quote from: Ruckus on Mar 09, 2011, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the review Cap.  This guy got to hang with Ms. Diddle and had a good ole time at the Appalachian Brewery! :thumbsup: :beer:  The dude/bros continue to multiply

Maybe I was too into the music, but there def didnt seem to be too many bros around in the Burgh.

...After sleeping/remembering last night, Im strongly considering going to Columbus tomorrow night since I have the next 2 days off and it appears their residency in Philly and NYC will take up their time til at least the summer.